• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

Duff-Dyed

Par Member
im looking for more vibrant colors to do dyes w... and i need a decent green. i use idye poly exclusively, and would love to offer some neons and other hues. lets make a list of pigments that work well for disc dying... and what they work good for... i guess just add to the list here... ill update when new ones are posted.

- idye poly: marble, stencil, flydye, dip dye, painting

is there a neon pink available somewhere?
i see the idye poly has pink #456 - is it very bright?

Because you started this thread I kind of got an idea as a possible iDye alternative. I have never tried it and this is just an idea. Do you think you could drain a sharpie of ink and mix that with a bit of acetone and shaving cream to make a mix that would work? Just an idea, I have never tried it.

i havent ordered the pink yet, so i cant attest to its hue. i know the kelly green was not at all what i was expecting. both greens idye has are very earthy brownish greens... disappointing. and i need a good green alternative.

as far as the sharpie idea goes, idk how well it would last over time. sharpie ink fades quickly.

Has anyone tested out acid dyes? There is a grip of colors available on the dharma trading co site. If not I am willing to give it a shot but would rather not waste my money if it has already been tested.

I tried sharpie ink mixed with 70% alcohol the other day and it works, somewhat. I think I used to much alcohol (only used one red sharpie) so it was more of a bright pink color. Painted it on star and dx plastic and it worked for both. The dx was really faded but it turned out pretty decent on star. I use idye poly and acetone a lot but I'm still on the quest for more vibrant colors as well.

Edit: From my research acid dyes won't work very well or at all. They all talk about needing a disperse dye mixed with heat and a carrier to open the fibers and allow the dye in the material.

Last edited:
Think this is the stuff! at least some of it...

Well I took bmxpunker's advice that he had mentioned in the brainwave thread about reading that Jeff Ash had mentioned using worm bait dye on his circles on the outside of the disc and I am more than happy to report these results...I posted this in the brainwave thread as well but figured I should share it here too.

Its called quick coat worm dye. Dye soaks in almost immediately and even after a warm water rinse it maintained almost 100% of the color. Also its UV reflective. The lime green I ordered came out almost the same as the yellow (chartreuse). I just ordered the rest of the color spectrum to play with...This stuff is awesome! Have fun fellow dye heads :thmbup:

How does the worm dye work on darker colored discs? I have one that is pea green w a bad black dye on it. Wanted to dye over it to make it easier to see.

did you dilute it or just paint it straight on?

Painted it straight on...goes on lovely...it already has acetone mixed in with it...Havent tried adding any detergents/soaps yet...Working on a stencil right now for my brothers disc.

How does the worm dye work on darker colored discs? I have one that is pea green w a bad black dye on it. Wanted to dye over it to make it easier to see.

Not sure any light colored dye will work on a darker colored disc. Havent tried yet with this one...think the rule of thumb still applies... go light>dark only...It might work though. I watched a video tut where this guy was dyeing light colors on dark worms...Havent tried yet though on discs

That Avatar Disc is sweet Odyssey!

Thanks for the Quick coat worm dye info :thmbup:

That Avatar Disc is sweet Odyssey!

Thanks for the Quick coat worm dye info :thmbup:

Thank you! That was one I did with my cousin for my cousin...I showed him the ways of the shaving cream...Then gave it a black rim on my spinner

Had a hard time giving that one to him after it was done :) Especially when i took it for a round on the course and it was flying much better after the custom dye. ;)

No problem on sharing the info on the dye...I vow to put what I know out there for others to use. I think that it would be selfish of me to keep stuff like this to myself. Especially if one is on this site and using these dye threads to learn. I have learned so much from what others have shared, it is only right to share what I have found. This site should be about sharing info and learning from others.

I also have a few other types of dye I will be testing in the next week. I will be sure to post my results.

Thanks Odyssey, I might give this a try. How do you get that wondernut look on your discs? The circular colors are so clean, is that from your spinner? I have only dyed like 7 discs, I have messed around with the shaving cream marbling, the marbling with grocery bags and some hand cut stencils, but I want to get that wondernut look. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Odyssey, I might give this a try. How do you get that wondernut look on your discs? The circular colors are so clean, is that from your spinner? I have only dyed like 7 discs, I have messed around with the shaving cream marbling, the marbling with grocery bags and some hand cut stencils, but I want to get that wondernut look. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75932

This is gonna be your first start. Making your rig. Dan Howard put together an awesome tutorial on this. Hardest part is the electric part, but if you follow the picture that Dan posts in the thread you should be able to get it. I fried my first box fan in the process. So just take your time and follow his guide and the picture to the T and you should be good

The rest of it is mainly getting your mix right. Some use pure acetone, some different mixtures. I personally find that a mix of laundry detergent about 3 parts detergent to 1 part (powdered) dye, few drops of vinegar, few drops of acetone, works quite well for me. Add more vinegar and acetone as needed. I personally try to use a very small amount of acetone especially. Then its just basically done with paint brushes, q tips, and whatever else you find that may help. I also use cotton balls to achieve certain effects such as fades or gradients. Centering the disc is also important if your trying to do centered even circles. Off center creates a cool effect as you have seen with some of Wondernuts dyes.

That's what I thought Odyssey113, I was hoping that there was another way, some super easy method I couldn't think of, that would just blow my mind with simplicity. I was reading that thread before and was hesitant because of the electric aspects of the build, but I guess making a rig will be my next project, at least after the tournament this Saturday, then I will have 2 weeks to attempt this, after a few days of reading of course. May I ask where you found that bait color? What colors you recommend? I thought you mentioned previously that the green came out a lot like the yellow, so which one would you choose if you could redo the buy. Stuff like that to help us who might order online and stuff. I did a four color bob marley dye last night and the green sucked, I must have left it in too long when I dipped it, I checked every 5 minutes and then at about 12 minutes the dang thing just went dark on me and looks more gray than green. A green alternative to Idye Poly would be awesome.

That's what I thought Odyssey113, I was hoping that there was another way, some super easy method I couldn't think of, that would just blow my mind with simplicity. I was reading that thread before and was hesitant because of the electric aspects of the build, but I guess making a rig will be my next project, at least after the tournament this Saturday, then I will have 2 weeks to attempt this, after a few days of reading of course. May I ask where you found that bait color? What colors you recommend? I thought you mentioned previously that the green came out a lot like the yellow, so which one would you choose if you could redo the buy. Stuff like that to help us who might order online and stuff. I did a four color bob marley dye last night and the green sucked, I must have left it in too long when I dipped it, I checked every 5 minutes and then at about 12 minutes the dang thing just went dark on me and looks more gray than green. A green alternative to Idye Poly would be awesome.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/soft-plastic-baits/380551.aspx

I still think the lime green will come in handy but I would probably recommend mixing your own green with blue and chartreuse (yellow). I just ordered the rest of the spectrum so that's what I plan to do. Also will be mixing my own purple since they don't have purple for sale. Some plastics won't display green well. Always best to dye white or clear discs I find if poss. Best of luck! Have fun!

...I posted this in the brainwave thread as well but figured I should share it here too.

Its called quick coat worm dye.

Thank you, thank you! First let me say I'm not a dye'er, but I had a disc that was a crappy beige/clear that I bought at PIAS. It is a QJLS that I really got attached to but it really blends in with dead grass and I'm afraid of losing it. I've been reading the dying threads in the hopes of finding something "quick and dirty" to make this disc more visible. I found your post and VOILA!

I had to run up to Bass Pro today anyhow to buy a gift card so I picked some up. The product I used is called "Spike-It" but it is the same thing that you posted. Acetone based from the smell. The results were perfect! I'll try to post pics on the "first dyes" thread when I get a chance.

Thanks again!

Thank you, thank you! First let me say I'm not a dye'er, but I had a disc that was a crappy beige/clear that I bought at PIAS. It is a QJLS that I really got attached to but it really blends in with dead grass and I'm afraid of losing it. I've been reading the dying threads in the hopes of finding something "quick and dirty" to make this disc more visible. I found your post and VOILA!

I had to run up to Bass Pro today anyhow to buy a gift card so I picked some up. The product I used is called "Spike-It" but it is the same thing that you posted. Acetone based from the smell. The results were perfect! I'll try to post pics on the "first dyes" thread when I get a chance.

Thanks again!

Hell yea! good to hear man. Glad it worked out for you. Im just glad I read the post in the brainwave dye that Bmxpunk posted about Jeff ash mentioning these in an article and such...I figured it could be a long shot but once I read the description for the product and seen the colors, i figured, why wouldnt they work. (Leaves a permanent dye on plastic worms). Figured what the hell. Not getting any answers by just asking, so I rolled the dice and got lucky. I was gonna give that brand a try as well. They look to be the exact same thing. Let me know how that works out for you. I wanted to give their purple color a go since quick coat doesnt have purple.

These work too!!! pro chemical dyes

http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/home.php?cat=401

Again I cant take full credit for this one as I again took the advice off from Bmxpunk's post quoting Jeff Ash in some interview or so forth. I am just a headstrong/OCD disc dyer that wants to expand his selection of dyes. These work as well. I just bought the sampler pack so I only have a few colors that come with that. They do have some nice bright looking colors. Possibly the same ones wondernut and others are using. Call me the wikileaks of disc dyeing bitch! Haha. Jk. I do crack myself up like Drew Carey! :popcorn: But yes, I well pat myself on the back for testing these and then releasing them into the public domain for others to use as it should be.

I did a simple mix of a few drops acetone, few drops vinegar, tad of laundry detergent. The blue circle was my test circle for this dye. Takes to the plastic just like any other working dye.

I have one more type of dye coming in the mail soon which should work as well. Expect a follow up post for that unless I get whacked before then by mobster disc dyers that dont want these secrets out! ;)

Happy dyeing days my fellow dye heads!

Latest posts