• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Freedom

I have not read the whole thread, and I no longer own a Freedom, but just wanted to pass along a suggestion. If you like Freedoms, but need something to go with them with more stability for wind or for a left finish, the Sheriff is your disc. So similar in shape and feel but not nearly as squirrelly.

Does anyone still throw the freedom? To me it was a less good feeling King, but I know there are a lot of people who love DD.

Have to agree with Pmantle, I got to throw a friends Sheriff and it goes boom. A lot like a Destiny with a more predictable fade out of the box.

Freedom and Destiny were both contenders but right now the Shrike is the leader for this spot. I'd like to try a Sheriff just to compare. But honestly, as my Opto Halo beats in I could see it sliding in here.

I have not read the whole thread, and I no longer own a Freedom, but just wanted to pass along a suggestion. If you like Freedoms, but need something to go with them with more stability for wind or for a left finish, the Sheriff is your disc. So similar in shape and feel but not nearly as squirrelly.

is the sheriff as "easy to throw" as the freedom?
assuming same weight and dome/flat

is the sheriff as "easy to throw" as the freedom?
assuming same weight and dome/flat

I threw my 174g domey Freedom and 166g FAF Freedom at the range yesterday, along with my 168g Lucid Sparkle Sheriff and new 166g Fuzion Sheriff. I threw from both ends of the schoolyard to get the opposite effects of the prevailing winds.

For me and my noodle-arm-speed, the Sheriff is not understable, and certainly not when compared to the understable Vulcan. My Lucid Sheriff was pretty much either straight-to-fade or pure hyzer, but got lots of distance either way. The Fuzion Sheriff sometimes turned over a bit and sometimes didn't, then had a nice but not too much fade at the end. I expect the Fuzion Sheriff to season in to a go-to bomber.

The 166g FAF Freedom is a relative meathook: no glide, fades out. It's something of an anomaly. The more domey Freedom bombed for me, I actually got over 300 ft. with it (throwing both directions) on the flat fields. (I also did that with my Shryke and Destiny; my form is improving). The problem is that the Freedom can and will turn over and go way right (RHBH throws) if I don't "aim" left in compensation.

The Sheriff and Freedom both have relatively shallow rims, and both are "easy" to throw. The faster your armspeed, the more likely you'll want to gravitate to the Sheriff.

nice thanks.

i'm looking for a bomber FOREHAND disc, that is relatively easy to throw, meaning not a disc I have to torque too much or put on an exaggerated flex line all the time. I just want to flick it relatively flat and have it go far without being flippy or too OS.

am I dreaming? does either the freedom or sheriff do this?

I played with a guy who suggested the freedom or cannon. he bombed these discs FH and he barely tried.

I threw my 174g domey Freedom and 166g FAF Freedom at the range yesterday, along with my 168g Lucid Sparkle Sheriff and new 166g Fuzion Sheriff. I threw from both ends of the schoolyard to get the opposite effects of the prevailing winds.

For me and my noodle-arm-speed, the Sheriff is not understable, and certainly not when compared to the understable Vulcan. My Lucid Sheriff was pretty much either straight-to-fade or pure hyzer, but got lots of distance either way. The Fuzion Sheriff sometimes turned over a bit and sometimes didn't, then had a nice but not too much fade at the end. I expect the Fuzion Sheriff to season in to a go-to bomber.

The 166g FAF Freedom is a relative meathook: no glide, fades out. It's something of an anomaly. The more domey Freedom bombed for me, I actually got over 300 ft. with it (throwing both directions) on the flat fields. (I also did that with my Shryke and Destiny; my form is improving). The problem is that the Freedom can and will turn over and go way right (RHBH throws) if I don't "aim" left in compensation.

The Sheriff and Freedom both have relatively shallow rims, and both are "easy" to throw. The faster your armspeed, the more likely you'll want to gravitate to the Sheriff.

i'm looking for a bomber FOREHAND disc, that is relatively easy to throw, meaning not a disc I have to torque too much or put on an exaggerated flex line all the time. I just want to flick it relatively flat and have it go far without being flippy or too OS.

In a tournament earlier this year, Paul McBeth demonstrated the abilities of the Shryke with forehand throws. I'm not much of a forehander for anything above the TL (working on it, though). If you're okay with a shallow rim depth, the Sheriff might be a good option. If you'd prefer a deeper rim depth, the Shryke might work well.

nice thanks.

am I dreaming? does either the freedom or sheriff do this?

I played with a guy who suggested the freedom or cannon. he bombed these discs FH and he barely tried.

Freedom could maybe fill this. I've only tinkered with it in the max D role backhand and it (a lucid orange at least 160s+) was decidedly flippy, like a King. Tailwind bombs and rollers seemed the most suitable role for it but if you were really clean with it you could probably get some easy D with it. It's fast so flicking it flat you might not flip it too much thanks to speed stability if you're clean. I would guess you'd need to hyzer it a bit to keep it straight and avoid tracking left (RHFH). But I've only sampled one and I'm purely speculating on the FH flights so take this with salt.

I recently got a freedom with wiped stamp, forgot that I did, and brought it to the park thinking it was a moonshine trespass.
i ended up throwing both of those and they didn't seem too different lol.

I was liking the freedom a bit more. I only found out it was a freedom after I got home and looked again.

pretty cool for forehand so far.

Personally, I find the Freedom to be far too sensitive for FH throws. The much improved HSS of a good Lucid Sheriff is just about perfect for what I wanted in a fast, straight, line drive FH disc that goes where I tell it to (most of the time). For reference, I'm throwing the Sheriff about 325 FH. No need to flex it. Just throw it flat. Some of my longest BH throws ever have been with a Freedom but it's very inconsistent and I don't bag it. A 167 Bio Sheriff has been getting backhand duties. If I need more turn, I throw a Renegade or disc down to a Hatchet.

Personally, I find the Freedom to be far too sensitive for FH throws. The much improved HSS of a good Lucid Sheriff is just about perfect for what I wanted in a fast, straight, line drive FH disc that goes where I tell it to (most of the time). For reference, I'm throwing the Sheriff about 325 FH. No need to flex it. Just throw it flat. Some of my longest BH throws ever have been with a Freedom but it's very inconsistent and I don't bag it. A 167 Bio Sheriff has been getting backhand duties. If I need more turn, I throw a Renegade or disc down to a Hatchet.

yeah i threw my freedom more and it's too flippy for me to FH.