• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Thief

Ta-Daaaaa!

:doh:

So...

I have a 172g Lucid Thief in day-glow pink, which is maybe my easiest to see disc. I love this thing.

I am pretty certain I'm just breaking speed 6 backhand, and MAYBE pushing speed 7 forehand. For no specific reason, my forehand has recently seen leaps and bounds in improvement. I'm shooting maybe 250' backhand, and closer to 300' forehand, and have found the Thief to be an incredibly comfortable forehand disc, with good reliable hyzer fade at the end, even when i don't get my release angle quite right, and give it too much anhyzer.

As a forehand disc, this thing handles strong headwind gusts for me with a reliable flight path. I'm not sure if it's intrinsic to the disc, but I also find it easy to keep it from getting nose up and climbing too much, making it great for shots where I have to keep it under overhead tree canopy... which is about 80% of my home course.

I don't have a lot of Innova discs with which to compare it, but the fade is perfect (to me), compared to the fall-over-and-die fade of a Firebird. I also have a 171g GStar Teebird3, which has virtually identical flight numbers, but the Thief has a much more reliable fade.

I also bag a 172g Lucid Witness, and don't have the armspeed yet to get it to roll anhyzer, but it throws very similar to the Teebird3 at my armspeed, again, a less reliable fade.

I honestly think that as my armspeed improves, this thing will stay in my bag, and sort of be the fairway driver equivalent to my Roc2, a reliably (moderately) overstable disc for it's speed.

I reserve the right to change my opinion as my armspeed improves, but as of now... very happy with it, and i think it'd be one of those discs I'd be super-bummed if I lost.

I bag 2 Thiefs, one is very beat and its a reliable turnover disc at 350' and 7k elevation. The other is a little newer and it has a nice shaping flight. Almost like an eagle without the strong fade. I love the Escape, but I always find myself reaching for my Thief.

Necrobump time. I got one of these to slot between my Rivers and my Volts. Threw it today for the first time, and it was, indeed, between the two. I could see this being a go-to fairway workhorse, though the 0/2 turn/fade numbers aren't realistic. More like -1/1 from what I'm seeing.

... very happy with it, and i think it'd be one of those discs I'd be super-bummed if I lost.

I lost it.

I WAS super bummed. And the Fuzion version I tried to replace it with just wasn't the same. I'm bagging a Star Teebird now to replace it, but still love that disc.

I lost it.

I WAS super bummed. And the Fuzion version I tried to replace it with just wasn't the same. I'm bagging a Star Teebird now to replace it, but still love that disc.

Yuck. Sorry for your loss. :(

The Fuzion is decidly more understable than the Lucid and the bio is another tick more understable than that. Skip lunch a few times next week and get another Lucid. They are very consistent across the board I've found.

Yep, mine's max-weight Lucid and it's just about the stability I was expecting. Definitely will turnover in a headwind (which cost me a stroke yesterday), but that's what my Volts are for. This is exactly what I was looking for, something that turns a bit at my power (~300 with this) but not too much, and ends up mostly straight.

I have a Lucid Thief I think close to max weight. I agree with Gooby in that the disc is not the stability I would have expected based on the numbers. I don't think the Thief and the Convict are anywhere close to the same stability, but their turn and fade numbers are pretty close.

I use mine for long annys that I need to get some air under, and still need it to come back a touch. Also, it is a pretty hyzer-flip disc. Finally, I am starting to roll it for shorter, more controlled shots.

I'm looking for one Trilogy disc to fall in between my DX Teebird and my G Star Thunderbird (sort of a fairway/distance hybrid, straight and then fade flight) to replace both of these discs in my bag. Trying to minimize the number of disc I carry, thereby reducing the number of 'which disc' decision I have to make. Is the Lucid Thief that disc?

Others I've looked at are: Stag, River Pro, and Longbowman...but the numbers on the Thief seem to be the closest to a Teebird/Thunderbird hybrid.

Thanks!!!

TripleB

I'm looking for one Trilogy disc to fall in between my DX Teebird and my G Star Thunderbird (sort of a fairway/distance hybrid, straight and then fade flight) to replace both of these discs in my bag. Trying to minimize the number of disc I carry, thereby reducing the number of 'which disc' decision I have to make. Is the Lucid Thief that disc?

Others I've looked at are: Stag, River Pro, and Longbowman...but the numbers on the Thief seem to be the closest to a Teebird/Thunderbird hybrid.

Thanks!!!

TripleB

Probably not. Having it in my bag for a few months confirmed my initial thoughts that the Thief does have some high-speed turn. It's much closer to an FD than a Teebird.

Thanks!!!

TripleB

I've only thrown the older Trilogy Challenge Bio Thiefs. I would rate it as 8/6/-2/2 for my arm speed. It felt like it had more turn/fade than the River, but was more consistent to throw far, and had even more glide for me. It was longer. Kind of closer to Valk/Sidewinder class than Teebird/River class, but easy to power down. It was a very fun disc to throw, but not useful for me because the glide and distance was so easy that I couldn't control it for shorter ranges, and at longer ranges I could throw something higher speed and more overstable. But for players in the 290-340'ish range I would guess, it would be a great disc.

It is not a Teebird/Thunderbird, as GoobyPls said, but it is very easy distance and great glide. Again I have only thrown the older ones, but it was a very fun disc to throw. Even if it's not a Teebird exactly you may really enjoy it for your arm speed, and you can learn a lot of different angles with a disc with that type of flight. I think it has a lower power requirement than the Saint.

Last edited:
Probably not. Having it in my bag for a few months confirmed my initial thoughts that the Thief does have some high-speed turn. It's much closer to an FD than a Teebird.

It is not a Teebird/Thunderbird, as GoobyPls said, but it is very easy distance and great glide.

What one Trilogy disc do you feel might come closest to being able to replace my Teebird/Thunderbird pairing?

Of those two I definitely find myself in situations needing the Teebird more than the Thunderbird so maybe I should be looking for something more along the lines of the Teebird than the Thunderbird.

According to numbers, it seems like the contenders for that spot (to take both) would be: Spark, River Pro Thief, Stag, Culverin, Longbowman, Convict.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

What one Trilogy disc do you feel might come closest to being able to replace my Teebird/Thunderbird pairing?

Of those two I definitely find myself in situations needing the Teebird more than the Thunderbird so maybe I should be looking for something more along the lines of the Teebird than the Thunderbird.

According to numbers, it seems like the contenders for that spot (to take both) would be: Spark, River Pro Thief, Stag, Culverin, Longbowman, Convict.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

My own answer here is the Westside Stag.

By the way, here is a flight guide that you can use. It's not perfect, and I might shouldn't put it up, as it causes one to buy lots of discs, but here goes:

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/flightguide/

I'd say Explorer will be your best bet, comes out next week as a limited Gold-X Burst edition and the stock release follows in 3 weeks. I've seen some of the flight in person and there's a good chance I'll bag it myself for that slot.

Last edited:

Out of Trilogy discs that I have tried, the Saint Pro is the closest to the Teebird. I have enjoyed them when I have tried them, but I have never owned one.

The Convict is closer in speed to the Thunderbird, and starts out like a mild Thunderbird but will lose HSS and also not handle wind as well. The Culverin is also more like the Thunderbird. The Spark, I have only thrown a couple, were very beefy like an extremely OS Teebird. I don't think this is what you want, you won't get good distance and carry out of it. I think it is likely better for higher arm speed players to use as a placement fairway disc.

I have not tried the Stag or River Pro. But I am looking forward to trying an Explorer, that looks to be close in flight to a Teebird but they aren't even officially released yet so who knows what they'll all be like. So for now I would say Saint Pro. I almost find the Saint needs more power than the Saint Pro, because you expect the Saint to have a -1/1 type of flight and you need to hit it pretty good to get that out of it or else it will fade out more than expected. Whereas you expect the Saint Pro to be more of a 0/2, so it does that more consistently.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

The TC River Pros (including the one I had) were glideless and dumpy, but it sounds like they may have retooled the mold for the production run. Most of the reviews for the production RP's have been good, like they have more glide now. That or the Explorer may be more what you're looking for.

My doubles partner bags a Convict, but it's a bit less stable than his Teebird, a lot like my Thief really (he throws both a Convict and a Glow Teebird). I don't know anyone who throws the others you listed and can't comment on them.

FWIW DD has updated the flight numbers on this mold to 8/5/-1.5/2, which is pretty consistent with what I've seen using it.

Anyone else have a Thief that just wants to fly straight?

I've got a brand new 166g Lucid Thief that is basically a straight flyer for me....and I do not have a high arm speed (River average is only 284 feet). It might have a 5 foot fade at the end ever so often but nothing like an 0/2. I got it as an overstable fairway (border distance) for those shots when my EMAC Truth just won't reach. Just wondering if others have found this to be a straight flyer or I just got an odd ball or something.

Thanks!

TripleB

Anyone else have a Thief that just wants to fly straight?

I've got a brand new 166g Lucid Thief that is basically a straight flyer for me....and I do not have a high arm speed (River average is only 284 feet). It might have a 5 foot fade at the end ever so often but nothing like an 0/2. I got it as an overstable fairway (border distance) for those shots when my EMAC Truth just won't reach. Just wondering if others have found this to be a straight flyer or I just got an odd ball or something.

Thanks!

TripleB

There's a reason everyone's been saying the numbers are off. I rate it as -2/2, like a bomber River or a Valk, for my arm speed. Haven't thrown recent ones though. Sounds like it's flying 0/1 for you, and I bet if you add a little distance it'll start being -1/1 and then get more width to the turn from there.

Top pro's throw them for their flippy rollers. The 0/2 is not true at all IME.

I have about the same power as you, and I definitely get a bit of turn out of the Thief. It's nowhere near as straight as my Volts, but that's actually what I was looking for.