• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle McMahon Sidearm Clinic

GoobyPls

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer

Very well put together video by Eagle. I don't think I've tried putting the ring finger on the edge of the rim like he shows here.

Very well put together video by Eagle. I don't think I've tried putting the ring finger on the edge of the rim like he shows here.

I love that Eagle took the time to do such a lengthy video trying to break down his form.

And Simon did a side by side comparison to his form. Glad to see the FH content:

It's funny because when Simon does frame by frame and looks at Eagles elbow position he expresses how weird and natural it looks. I'm not sure if he says it, but you can tell he looks concerned about injury. All I know is my arm CANNOT do that.

Not criticizing Eagle's content, but this is germane:

The late elbow cock does increase distance though. But obviously that won't help if you can't play disc golf in 10 years lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Eagle is a bit of a freak - long, lanky, limber, not overly muscular, young. He could possibly keep throwing like this and never have a problem. Who knows, some pitchers can go their whole careers without issues, some get Tommy John surgery in high school.

Eagle is a bit of a freak - long, lanky, limber, not overly muscular, young. He could possibly keep throwing like this and never have a problem. Who knows, some pitchers can go their whole careers without issues, some get Tommy John surgery in high school.
Yep. That freak also said that he improved his distance by throwing overstable discs as hard as he could until his arm fell off. What a freak, like seriously

The late elbow cock does increase distance though. But obviously that won't help if you can't play disc golf in 10 years lol

Maybe but I'm not sure that is necessarily true.... It might be because of how much and effective he is using his lower body, leveraging off the ground. And that cock of the wrist is absurd. His long arms and lankiness doesn't hurt either.

Eagle appears to have changed his mechanics.
You can see Simon doing what Eagle used to do with the disc leading the elbow.

Eagle appears to have changed his mechanics.
You can see Simon doing what Eagle used to do with the disc leading the elbow.

Oh yeah, you're right. About 440 in Simon's video. Eagle leads with elbow simon starts to lead with disc...

Looking at Simon's knee collapse at about 4:50 in his video reminded me of John Madden's Pitching Velocity Killer #3 https://youtu.be/ZZQKsPt_g_Q?t=254.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pitching Velocity Killer.jpg
    Pitching Velocity Killer.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Looking at Simon's knee collapse at about 4:50 in his video reminded me of John Madden's Pitching Velocity Killer #3 https://youtu.be/ZZQKsPt_g_Q?t=254.

attachment.php

Is the video you just posted probably 100 times better than any of the disc golf forehand videos out there or am I just out of my mind? Shoulder-hip separation, shoulder level and collapsing into the brace. Wow, everything that dude said makes perfect sense. I plant way too open, my left shoulder is down and theres not much shoulder-hip separation in the backswing on my bad fh days. The guy says 80% of the pitching velocity comes from hip-shoulder separation so I'd pay really close attention to that. With all respect to Eagle and his skill, repeating the same old dg forehand mantras and describing his run up for 10 minutes is nothing compared to that video.

Is the video you just posted probably 100 times better than any of the disc golf forehand videos out there or am I just out of my mind? Shoulder-hip separation, shoulder level and collapsing into the brace. Wow, everything that dude said makes perfect sense. I plant way too open, my left shoulder is down and theres not much shoulder-hip separation in the backswing on my bad fh days. The guy says 80% of the pitching velocity comes from hip-shoulder separation so I'd pay really close attention to that. With all respect to Eagle and his skill, repeating the same old dg forehand mantras and describing his run up for 10 minutes is nothing compared to that video.

It is way better, that pitcher vid is a goldmine.

Every dg pro forehand i have seen is just the same old: "tuck ur eblow in, palm to the sky" drivel.

It is way better, that pitcher vid is a goldmine.

Every dg pro forehand i have seen is just the same old: "tuck ur eblow in, palm to the sky" drivel.

Thats why I dont understand why the pros make the same video over and over again. I'd really like to hear about the learning process rather than the same old beginner stuff repeated. No science or even common sense arguments nor experience based explanations for anything they say.

And there is one reason for that. A pro player most likely does not understand what he/she does. They are good at doing it, not breaking it down or explaining it to others. And additionally they have been doing it for so long that they are very far from knowing what the hard part is. Thats why I personally love the stories of average joes who have figured something out. I dont expect science based arguments from disc golfers but a little more than the basic "dont do that, its bad" would make them more credible on their videos. I love the terminology that the pitcher had in his video and I really hope we have something similar one day.

"Keep the palm to the sky" - Eagle McMahon
Wrist rolls over nearly 180 degrees in 4 frames :rolleyes:
qTaSrj4.png

Skip to 3:00 and Mike Dunaway shows the golf version which is similar with supination and pronation in the swing.

But Eagle's elbow/arm.....he's got to be double jointed or just have no bones in that arm. My arm hurts just watching his bend that way. :)

Latest posts