• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Effect of Grip on Spin

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
At least a few of the improvements to my drive have come from just thinking about what actually happens physically at a given moment. Take grip. I use a fairly standard nose-down power grip, with the fingers angled back under the rim slightly. I've struggled with trying to reproduce those amazing times when the snap is just right and the disc holds its angle longer and flies farther. Yes everything leading up to those shots is crucial, and I've read the arguments that grip is relatively unimportant, but I decided to explore it a bit more. Here's what I found that has noticeably increased my drive distance by maybe 10%.

At the moment of 'snap', the bulk of kinetic energy is being transferred to the forward momentum of the disc, with some going toward adding rotation to the disc. It's been said before that disc rotation is added primarily from the wrist action, but the last point of contact is in the fingers/thumb, so I wondered if there wasn't something I could do with my grip to improve my release. By 'improve' I mean two things - give the disc both a final boost to momentum, and give it more torque to improve spin. Turns out you can. I think most people count their middle finger as the longest digit, but the 2nd longest varies from person to person. For me, my ring finger is far longer than my index finger. I started to think about how the point of release must involve those fingers (and the thumb on top of the flight plate) pulling the disc forward and providing a pivot point to impart a final boost to forward momentum and rotation. But how clean was that pivot when my two longest fingers were angled back and probably gripping the disc tighter than my shorter index finger?

So, what I did is laughably simple. I focused on pinching the disc tighter between my thumb and index finger, allowing the other fingers to grip and stabilize the disc. And it worked. With the index finger being a more insistent pivot point, I moved that pivot point somewhere around 1/2 inch farther forward on the rim than my longer middle finger, which had probably been acting as primary pivot point due to it's greater length. There was that feeling of snap I'd been missing and it clearly was giving the disc both more release speed and torque. I know the importance of spin is hotly debated here, but my take is that more is almost always better because it strengthens the gyroscopic stability that allows a disc to hold a line longer, and it allows that stability to last longer.

Pinching harder with your index finger/thumb probably won't help everybody, but there may be some with the same issues I've had. I hope this helps somebody, even if it's just one person.

We grip things with our pinky, ring and base of thumb. Middle and index are mainly for things that require dexterity. So I personally base my different grips like that, essentially the first thing touching the rim after my ring finger is the pivot point. That can be the middlefinger knuckle, middlefinger pad or when I fan out my middlefinger the pivot point is my index.

Not sure who's arguing that grip is not important? It's the only thing that connects you to the disc to transfer momentum to it. There are many different variations of grips with some subtle differences which doesn't matter much in the grand scheme as long as you are in control of the disc. I prefer to think of things in terms of leverage rather than torque. Torque is the measurable byproduct of mechanically leveraging the disc.

If you want maximum spin and distance, then the 2 finger grip Robbie Bratten shows in the video below is best for that as it allows for more range of motion/pivot with less points of contact.

Any pictures of your new grip? I'm interested in the placement of your index finger. I have small hands and always struggle with a consistent grip.

Grip, rip point, etc, etc, all vary from player to player due to hand size, finger length, etc. I've read several articles where pros (Shusterick for example) rips off the middle finger. But this is a fact.... how tight you grip at the point of the rip is related to the amount of spin you will give the disc when it it released. This is how you can control the amount of spin put on the disc regardless if it's an upshot or drive off the tee. Even works when putting if you're a spin putter. When driving, you want to practice a loose grip through out the x-step and then right before you release the disc, that's when your grip should be at it's tightest.

Something to experiment with, try going from 4,3,2 finger grips and watch how much lower you can point the disc. This can help you get the nose down on the disc and for some people like myself, allow you get more spin on the disc when using wider rim (faster) discs.

Another thing worth trying is to apply pressure on your thumb and move it slightly forward, right before releasing the disc. Some pros swear this adds more momentum / spin on the disc as it gets ejected. I could be wrong, but I think Eagle and or Simon both have talked about this.

At the moment of 'snap', the bulk of kinetic energy is being transferred to the forward momentum of the disc, with some going toward adding rotation to the disc.

Not disagreeing with anything else you said, but this part makes me go hmm.

The disc rips out forward, right? While your finger is trying to hang on, pulling backward?

Not sure who's arguing that grip is not important? It's the only thing that connects you to the disc to transfer momentum to it. There are many different variations of grips with some subtle differences which doesn't matter much in the grand scheme as long as you are in control of the disc. I prefer to think of things in terms of leverage rather than torque. Torque is the measurable byproduct of mechanically leveraging the disc.

If you want maximum spin and distance, then the 2 finger grip Robbie Bratten shows in the video below is best for that as it allows for more range of motion/pivot with less points of contact.
One more on the one finger - two finger grip and pivot (and apologies for the source!)