• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Effects of wind at lower temperatures

Hfactor

Bogey Member
I suck at putting in the winter.

I was at leagues 2 weeks ago and the temperature was probably in the 10-20F range and the winds were 3-8mph, not much. I drive hole 3 and end up left of the basket about 20 feet short. The wind is going left to right. I think this little wind wont do anything. So I putt right at the heart and I miss a foot and a half to the right. What gives this tiny wind shouldn't do anything right?

Well it seems to me wind with the denser colder air has a larger effect on discs. So a 5mph wind in the winter effects the disc like a 10mph wind in the summer. (I have no idea if this is the correlation but in my mind it makes sense)

I emphasized this more yesterday when I went out to practice on a local course and ended up putting for about 20-30 minutes. The wind and temperature was about the same, maybe 5-10mph with 20°, and I found a spot that was similar to what happened to me in leagues. Left to right wind and I aim at the middle, miss a foot and a half to the right. So I start aiming further and further left until I aimed at the chain furthest to the left and they finally started falling in the basket. I felt like if this was the summer this 5-10mph wind would have almost no effect on a 20ft putt where in the winter I had to aim a whole foot further left with the same wind.

So I was wondering if anyone had any data to show how much more wind effects flight when the temperature is lower. Like for example at 15° a 5mph wind is the same as a 10mph wind at 70°.

I tried doing a few searches and came up with nothing. I just want to start hitting some putts in the winter. I'm probably 70% from 20ft in the summer but in the winter its more like 20% from 20ft.

Last edited:
I agree with your assumption but haven't really noticed a huge difference between say a 5-10 mph wind putt in the summer and winter. We play at around 4600ft above sea level and at 6000+ ft up at Tahoe so it might be your elevation that causes more drift on your putts.

At least you've observed it and can adjust your game.

i see where you are coming from, but i also have noticed that the whole "discs are more OS and don't glide in winter" is bunk too. i will throw farther in the summer, but only because i'll be unencumbered by clunky boots and layers. the boots are the big thing, IMO.

ANYWAY.

i think that there may be something else afoot. wind is a measure of pressure moving from one area to another, which can be CAUSED by air density/cold, therefore resulting in higher winds in winter perhaps . . . but i do not think that the wind itself will influence your discs differently whatsoever.

Colder air is denser thus it could make the disc move offline more. Discs will act usually a tick less stable in colder air too due to the density.

It's likely that there is some level of that effect, but not nearly as much as you're making it out to be. It's much more likely that cold hands and bulky clothes are to blame.

agree with mash nut

I agree with previous post..was cold, you had bulky clothes, you missed puts..

Wind is wind for flying objects. any temp/density change is too miniscule to have such a gross effect.

i see where you are coming from, but i also have noticed that the whole "discs are more OS and don't glide in winter" is bunk too. i will throw farther in the summer, but only because i'll be unencumbered by clunky boots and layers. the boots are the big thing, IMO.

ANYWAY.

i think that there may be something else afoot. wind is a measure of pressure moving from one area to another, which can be CAUSED by air density/cold, therefore resulting in higher winds in winter perhaps . . . but i do not think that the wind itself will influence your discs differently whatsoever.

I say it's the opposite and discs will become more US. Assuming you can throw the same speed you'd be getting more lift and force on the disc. Almost like throwing into a small headwind. Just as you go to higher elevations and discs become more OS they should become more US in the cold air.

A 50 degree fahrenheit drop in temperature causes about 10% increase in air density (this is equivalent to about a 3000' elevation change).

So a 10 mph wind at 25 degrees would be slamming your disc with 10% more air molecules than the same wind at 75 degrees. Would this be very noticeable on a putt, I doubt it. If the wind was pushing your putt 1 meter off line at 75 degrees, it would push it 1 meter 10 centimeters off line at 25 degrees.

It's likely that there is some level of that effect, but not nearly as much as you're making it out to be. It's much more likely that cold hands and bulky clothes are to blame.

I also find that shivering really wreaks havoc with my putting. ;) ;)

As others have said discs are less stable, err... more understable when the weather is cold, just as air is thicker at lower altitude cold air is more dense. One of the reasons why many people myself included dont throw as far/discs hyzer out is because of our extra clothes and heavier footware. What can get overlooked is keeping your hand warm. I dont mean not frozen, or just comfortable I mean like it would feel in the summer. This greatly effects puts AND drives. I played a league round about a month ago where the temp peaked at 4 degrees with an average wind speed of 20-25. Even though I was layered up and wearing pac boots I was able to put as well as I usually would. (25mph is not unusual where I live) On cold days I wear a glove on my left hand and keep my right in my pocket with 4 handwarmers in it and only take it out to throw. I pick up my drive, mark my lie, rummage through my bag, do EVERYTHING with my left hand except throw. ....so I would try to keep your hand warm and dry and throw like you normally would:thmbup: 10mph is not wind.