• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elbow Pain

_.-Dut-._

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Back of my elbow, where your "funny bone" would be. Sidearm shots are starting to make that hurt. Its not unbearable, but its a nuisance, and it affects my putting stroke as for whatever reason I can really feel itwith the motion I use during my Putt so its a distraction.

Possible Causes? Solutions? How about those bands, that people put on there forearms for sidearm throws?

Thanks.

I was having the same problem for a while only I messed mine up throwing thumbers. Some thing that helped me was wearing an elbow brace for a while and then one of the arm bands. I had to wear it for 2 months before I got to where I could play without it hurting. Also learned to follow through with my shots, I was stopping my arm abruptly and that was causing the strain in my elbow. My $.02

Tendonitis

Its probably tendonitis, inflamation of the tendons in your elbow. Being a college pitcher I have had bouts with that my whole life. The only real way to cure it is anti-inflamatory drugs and unfortunately REST! If you keep playing it will only get worse. Since you throw FH it makes it even worse, if you threw BH it probably wouldn't hurt as much. Putting makes it hurt more because your stressing that particular tendon.

Back of my elbow, where your "funny bone" would be. Sidearm shots are starting to make that hurt. Its not unbearable, but its a nuisance, and it affects my putting stroke as for whatever reason I can really feel itwith the motion I use during my Putt so its a distraction.

Possible Causes? Solutions? How about those bands, that people put on there forearms for sidearm throws?

Thanks.

Sounds like tendonitis aka tennis elbow.
Cause is most likely form/follow through and/or overuse.
Solutions, rest, ice, advil, brace, focus on follow through and less arm speed keeping the elbow close to the body.

Thanks for replies, my sidearm, although I will keep working at it, isnt going to develop good form anytime soon. I throw mainly backhand but do sidearm when the situation calls for it. Ill try everything else mentioned, I thought tendonitis fit the description but wanted others opinions. Thanks again for the replies.

You have to rest it for this to go away. If you only treat it and keep playing it will stay around forever. Take a few weeks off and get on an anti-inflammatory. It will be worth it and you won't regret making it worse and lasting for a long, long time by continuing to over use it.

A chiropractor can help also. If you keep using it you will form scar tissue and it will never stop hurting unless you can break that scar tissue up (and that really hurts). Your elbow is probably out of alignment, or is compensating for your shoulder or wrist being out. Just a thought.

I have tendonitis in my throwing elbow. Started 3 years ago. Hurt like hell. I use a elbow wrap all the time playing even putting. Rest, ice, and Ibuprofen help a lot. Doesn't kill me anymore. Go to your doctor and ask to check fot tendonitis. I had a CT scan that showed it. Nothing you can do to cure it, but rest helps a lot. Stretch as much as you can bear and try strengthing exercises for your whole arm and it will help support that area more.

When I first started playing DG, I played almost everyday and my arm got to hurting like that. It was more of my shoulder hurting than my elbow, but I slowed down on DG for a few days, still played just not as hard. Started playing 2 months ago and my arm is just fine when I play today.

About three years ago I used to only throw sidearm because backhand would hurt my elbow insanely. But sidearm still hurt a little. I went to the doctor and he said it was just tendonitis so I bought an elbow sleeve. For a while, it still would hurt when I would play, but over time, the pain went away and now I don't wear the elbow sleeve anymore and I throw predominately backhand, about 90% backhand, all pain-free. However, when I throw approaches from 50 to 100 feet backhand, there is an enormous amount of pain. But that is because I don't follow through with my arm and it stops abruptly. It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop. So follow through and take your time with your elbow. Oh yeah, don't forget to stretch.

I dont think it is tenneis elbow, Tennis elbow pain is not on the back of your arm near funny bone. It is more in the forearm near the elbow.

I bet you have tricep tendonitis from.

Sounds like tendonitis aka tennis elbow.
Cause is most likely form/follow through and/or overuse.
Solutions, rest, ice, advil, brace, focus on follow through and less arm speed keeping the elbow close to the body.

Tennis elbow is not tendonitis, it is lateral epicondylitis.:|

Tennis elbow is not tendonitis, it is lateral epicondylitis.:|
Tennis elbow is a generic term that can mean a few things. Tennis players that practice a lot of forehands often have the pain described. This does sound more specifically like tricep tendonitis, but the treatment is still the same in any case.

Hope your elbow feels better soon, dude!

Tennis elbow is a generic term that can mean a few things. Tennis players that practice a lot of forehands often have the pain described. This does sound more specifically like tricep tendonitis, but the treatment is still the same in any case.

I actually wanted to just tell him to stop spending so much time in the bathroom :D

I got my elbow pain to go away by doing stretches like this:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/forearm-stretches/mm00709

and then also icing. Make sure the stretch is not painful, just stay at the very beginning where you begin to feel a stretch. Also, more opinions I hear are that you should hold a stretch a minimum of 20-30 seconds. Stretching too short of time can possibly have the opposite effect and make things tighten up.

After stretching rub an ice cube (or better yet, water frozen in a dixie cup so you can grip better) direcltly on the area for about 1 minute.

Once your pain starts to lessen, begin a strengthening program. I've had good luck a Powerball and also with these:
http://ironmind-store.com/Expand-Your-Hand-Bands153/productinfo/1376/
but rubberbands will work also when just starting.

Latest posts