• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elevated Baskets...

Do you like elevated baskets?

• Yes

Votes: 71 61.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 38.3%

• Total voters
I'm really torn on my opinion....when I visited Charlotte I really blew up on these holes or ended up taking strokes to eliminate climbing in and out of ravines all day....I can't putt so I get it and realize it allows the short game maestros some revenge on long holes....I won't go as far as to call it gimicky or artificially inflating par but I do think more than a handful on a course is too much and Charlotte in my opinion has overdosed on elevated baskets....I'm sure players better than me love them although Ive read some top pros cant stand them either....maybe they cant putt either.

I live in NC... I hate a love hate relationship with them Fo SHO! challenging and fun... I usually take a 3 or 7.

I didn't realize they were so controversal. I've only ever played in the charlotte area, so I thought they were pretty much normal. I like them, even though they usually cost me a stroke or two.

There is only one down here that I have played. I voted no because I hope it doesn't become more common, but I could handle one on occasion if done right.

I voted no just because the pole is so lazy in terms of design and implementation. Incorporate the basket into the landscape. If you have a crappy flat piece of land I'm not going to come to the course just because you put your basket on a pole.

In competitive play it just makes for less exciting putting.

My only prob with baskets like the OP, is how do the short people like me get my putter back....

Make sure I dont need a ladder and bring them on!!

I always think a short person would have trouble with hole 9 at Hornets Nest. Anyone ever measure how high that basket it?. I'm 6'5", and I have to reach up for it.

35cb69d7.jpg

^
One of the coolest aces I have ever seen was at on that basket. DGCR member hogleggbob threw a freakin' thumber ace into that one. It was like watchin' a full court shot.

^
One of the coolest aces I have ever seen was at on that basket. DGCR member hogleggbob threw a freakin' thumber ace into that one. It was like watchin' a full court shot.

Thats awesome! I always consider throwing a tomahawk, but instead I just throw straight into the hill usually. My brother always goes for the ace and flies way past it and gets a 5. I think thats part of the beauty of raised baskets though.

I don't they're gimmicky at all. If you took hole #9 from Hornet's Nest for example, if that was NOT a raised basket, it would be easier than hell. Raised baskets spice up the game, kind of like, uh, adult toys. :|

Thats awesome! I always consider throwing a tomahawk, but instead I just throw straight into the hill usually. My brother always goes for the ace and flies way past it and gets a 5. I think thats part of the beauty of raised baskets though.

I usually just try to lay it up there near the basket off of the tee. I never try go for an ace on that basket, cuz if I try that I know I will end up carding a 5 or worse:\....:eek:

Raised baskets are not very common around here. I can't think of one in Missouri off the top of my head.

My problem with raised baskets is that the majority of players lay up on them. You can take a hole where some will get a 2, some will get a 3 and some will miss going for a 2 and end up with a 4 and turn all those scores into 3's pretty easily. Raised baskets have their place, but you have to be careful with them.

There was some talk of making #18 at Lion's Club Park a raised basket because the pin sits in the open. When the course first went in I thought it was a good idea, but after a few rounds I noticed that there is a slight hill on the left and a creek on the right. People end up pin high left, go for the putt, fail to take the slight elevation into account, sail the putt on by and go OB in the creek. It happens all the time. Elevate that basket and most people will just lay up, which will make the hole easier to a certain extent. Now I think it would be a pretty bad idea to raise that basket.

Have yet to play a course with a raised basket, but I certainly don't think I'd mind it..unless it was ridiculously raised or something.

82407060_m.jpg

I like this one at U.W. Parkside near Kenosha, WI.

I'll have to get down there and check it out. I've only played a few courses in southeastern wisconsin, haven't really had a chance to get out around up north and down south.

In disc golf you need elevated baskets in my opinion. when you just have the same elevation there isn't really a challenge or variety in most cases take hornets nest hole 9. If that didn't have an elevated basket it would be lame and easy to sink an ace. with that elevated basket not only do you have to aim higher your perception of the basket is disoriented a bit which makes it even tougher and tougher holes are some times what you need.