• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

End of Jump Putting as we know it

Nobody seems to have any idea what constitutes a legal jump or falling putt.

During ALL shots, you must have a support point on the ground behind your marker upon release.
Inside the circle, you must maintain all points of support behind the marker until the disc comes to rest in the basket or chains.

Last edited:
That would suck for second longer shots though.

Not really. It would probably be beneficial to everyones game. You can generate nearly as much power in a stand still throw as you can with a 3 step. Russell (gcrussell on here) is proof of this. That's all he does is stand still. He can bomb.

Inside the circle, you must maintain all points of support behind the marker until the disc comes to rest in the basket or chains.

Sorry, but this isn't accurate either. You just have to demonstrate balance.

I couldn't care less about jump putting, it is this 30cm square I am worried about.

"nah brah, I can totally stand off to the side of my disc because it is 21cm wide and that means if my foot is 4.5 cm to the right of the right side of the disc I can bypass this obstacle a little easier."

:doh:

Not really. It would probably be beneficial to everyones game. You can generate nearly as much power in a stand still throw as you can with a 3 step. Russell (gcrussell on here) is proof of this. That's all he does is stand still. He can bomb.

Yes. If you have to do a run-up on a 100' shot, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents: I have seen maybe 1 person actually let go of the disc before their foot left the ground. Everyone else seems to think they get an extra couple of feet from the "jump" part before they need to release. And not all these were rec players, one was very aware of the rule. I say ****can the whole notion of jump putting. But that's my 2 cents.

No falling past your lie at any time except teeing-off. It's a simple rule that's easy to understand and easy to enforce. PROBLEM SOLVED.

One issue I have with that is that it completely takes away the advantage of placing your shot well on a longer hole. If I walk up to a 700' hole and put my drive on a flat area of short grass and someone else on the card gets just as far but ends up on a slope with sticks and rocks, I'll have the advantage on the next throw. If everyone is forced to throw from a standstill that advantage goes away and a big part of the strategy of shot placement goes away.

One issue I have with that is that it completely takes away the advantage of placing your shot well on a longer hole. If I walk up to a 700' hole and put my drive on a flat area of short grass and someone else on the card gets just as far but ends up on a slope with sticks and rocks, I'll have the advantage on the next throw. If everyone is forced to throw from a standstill that advantage goes away and a big part of the strategy of shot placement goes away.

doesn't say you have to throw from a standstill, just can't go past your marker. You can still X step and throw.

I like that idea a lot.

I'm so confused.... Lol

So can I use an example of jump putting.

When a nba basketball player shoots a 3 pointer behind the line but jumps past it and releases it and makes it.

Would that be legal yes or no?

I mean the nba allows it right:)

doesn't say you have to throw from a standstill, just can't go past your marker. You can still X step and throw.

I like that idea a lot.

I would love to see someone take a full x-step, get their plant foot in the right spot behind their marker, and somehow manage to not follow through. Sounds like a recipe for crappy shots and blown out knees to me.

I'm just going to skip the entirety of this conversation after reading the OP, and just say some people are idiots and should never be considered proposing rules. That is all.

Of all the disc golf I've seen, getting rid of jump putting would help more people than hurt.

There is no way that it is a better way to "putt" from longer distances.

Yes. If you have to do a run-up on a 100' shot, you're doing it wrong.

If you can't go pass the marker anytime but the teeshot, I'm sorry, but that sucks. Sometimes, you second shot is way longer than 100'. Also, even on a 100' where I stand and deliver, I follow through with the shot forward toward the target. Why should that be illegal. I'm sorry, but proposing stand and deliver on every throw is taking the sport backwards.

Well, according to your way of thinking, I'd say the three step wins. I know a lot more people that can bomb a shot from a 3 step than from a stand still. I think there is hardly any chance that you can demonstrate with physics that someone can actually throw farther from stand still then by taking steps forward (with good form). It just doesn't make any sens. Sure, we could also go back 25 years and play only with putter on smaller course and only stand and deliver, but that is not the route the sport has taken with all the warp speed driver out there.

I have been on the fence about this for awhile now. I still don't really care about them either way. I'll call a foot fault when I see it. What we should be concerned about as a sport is eliminating the notion that you are a rules nazi if you try to enforce a rules violation on somebody else. This is hurting our sport much more in the long run. If anybody watched the Ryder's Cup this last weekend, there was rules violations called out by other players and not once did you see that turn into an argument about being a rules nazi.

I would love to see someone take a full x-step, get their plant foot in the right spot behind their marker, and somehow manage to not follow through. Sounds like a recipe for crappy shots and blown out knees to me.

I'll have to check next time I play, but I'm pretty sure I don't go past my marker. You have made me wonder though. I know I plant my foot but have never really thought about it after I release on long up shots. We could make it simple and just say no follow through outside of 30M. Pretty sure everyone can "stand and deliver" inside 100'.

30m is beyond absurd, some divisions (juniors) maybe hardly even throw that far, off the tee. From 30m out, I am NEVER trying to put a disc in a basket. It would unfairly penalize people who have spent years developing a throwing style and would have to adjust. You may need to able to follow through in many situations inside 30m for safety- slippery snow covered ground, steep hillsides, etc. I don't think I'd sign up for a sanctioned event ever again if something like this were passed. Anyone else feel we need an iPhone/Android App with "status" updates for PDGA rules changes so we know when they change in the middle of a round?

Latest posts