• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Estimating Distances Using Your Thumb

Widdershins

Double Eagle Member
There is an article in the newest Discgolfer magazine (Summer, 2010) which is semi-brilliant. Author Mark McGourley recommends using your thumb to estimate distances.

Hold your arm straight out in front of you with your thumb pointing straight up and in line with the basket. Compare the size of the basket with the size of your thumb (or certain parts of your thumb) to estimate how far away the basket is. The farther away the basket is, the smaller the basket appears.

I have poor eyesight and weak depth perception (when players wave at me from other fairways, I wave back but have no idea who they are unless I recognize their walk or throwing motion). I try to make a guess on distance for every shot and when I guess wrong it costs me. Rangefinders are illegal to use in PDGA play. During out-of-town tournaments on little known courses I guess wrong too often.

This method takes some practice but I have been working on it. Start with a known distance (200 feet or whatever) and observe how large the basket is compared to your thumb. Then move to another known distance (250') and compare the size from there. Eventually you will have the system down.

Most baskets are relatively uniform size. Even if the poles are planted at different depths the height of the basket from the top of the chain assembly to the bottom of the cage is pretty similar, so I have been experimenting with this, rather than the total basket height.

If enough golfers do this, perhaps the PDGA Rules will drop the rangefinder ban, which is a dumb rule. On ball golf courses there are accurate tee signs and yardage markings on fairways. In disc golf many tee signs are missing or suspect in accuracy. Yardage markings on fairways are rare (but I love them). Why should distance be a secret? Why should good eyesight be an important skill in the game?

i like it, whats to stop you from using a ruler? micrometer?
talkabout accuracy - but where's the line drawn on ranger finders??

could be considered a DIY rangefinder if you got good with some sort of consistant measuring device (thumb not included)

heck, use your golf pencil

good idea mark, i like the idea, whether i'll ever try it or not who knows - but i likes

MotoDj said:
.... with a series of blocks sharpied on

a pencil is what, 6-sided? you've got six sides and the length of the pencil... fill it up with blocks that represent the height of a cage/basket at 150' - 500' at 20' intervals

Leopard said:
MotoDj said:

a pencil is what, 6-sided? you've got six sides and the length of the pencil... fill it up with blocks that represent the height of a cage/basket at 150' - 500' at 20' intervals

that's a pretty great idea right there.

i was actually reading that article which sparked my attention greatly.

very useful tool to know!

I thought the article was quite helpful. So many times during rounds, I leave a shot too short or sail past because I didn't bother consider how far I was from the pin.

To an earlier post, the rules expressly prohibit the use of range finders or other artificial devices to estimate distances.

I'd say your own thumb is not an artificial device, but a pencil with marks on it is.

CJ1998 said:
I thought the article was quite helpful. So many times during rounds, I leave a shot too short or sail past because I didn't bother consider how far I was from the pin.

To an earlier post, the rules expressly prohibit the use of range finders or other artificial devices to estimate distances.

I'd say your own thumb is not an artificial device, but a pencil with marks on it is.

What about a thumb with marks on it? I think I finally came up with an idea for a tattoo that actually wouldn't suck...

Mark Ellis said:
If enough golfers do this, perhaps the PDGA Rules will drop the rangefinder ban, which is a dumb rule. On ball golf courses there are accurate tee signs and yardage markings on fairways. In disc golf many tee signs are missing or suspect in accuracy. Yardage markings on fairways are rare (but I love them). Why should distance be a secret? Why should good eyesight be an important skill in the game?

I agree. They should dump the rule.

Leopard said:
MotoDj said:

May be better off using width. Height could possible change based on elevation of basket, how much of it you can see, how deep it's buried, etc. The majority of the baskets are pretty close to the same width, give or take a few inches. Great idea though. Would this fit in that range finder category though?

Latest posts