• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etiquette for requesting change to course listing?

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I just played a nearby course today for the first time, Leigh Farm Park in Durham, NC.

This course is really two different courses at the same location. There is a rec-level/noob friendly course, and an advanced level course. The rec level course uses many of the same fairways and baskets as the advanced course, but sometimes use one advanced course holes fairway as the fairway for two different rec level holes. If you read some of the reviews, everyone agreed that the layout is very confusing, especially if you are trying follow the noob course. I definitely had some challenges.

That's a shame, because my first impression is that the rec level course might be the best course for learning the game in the area. Unlike many short courses or short holes, the fairways are quite forgiving. You have a fair amount of leeway in hitting a line, but it's not like throwing in an open field. My daughter is coming up for a visit soon, and we have plans to take her disc golfing for the first time. After playing this course, I am seriously considering taking her there instead of Cornwallis Rd Park.

I thought about trying to update the course information here, as I was trying to use the site information to play the course and it wasn't much help. But I run into the issue that ... anything that I put in for the rec course is just going to be confusing to anyone playing the advanced layout.

So, the question is, when is it appropriate to ask that a new "course" be added to the site? I would happily update all the info for the rec course if it was listed as a separate course. Would that be annoying to regular users of the site? Or does it seem like a good idea?

it's definitely a good idea and thanks for being willing to do the work.

anyone can start a new course page. you can copy the basic info from the original course page. once it's up you can notify a moderator to link the courses together as single location.

it shouldn't be annoying to anyone. it should simplify the scorebook functions and clarify reviews. then you can also add more detailed info for each layout: separate maps, photos, etc. plus i'm sure most people like marking another course played.

oops, i forgot one crucial question.

that all rides on the courses/layouts having separate baskets. if they don't then i might rethink the whole thing.

Fitting overlapping layouts into this site is putting a square peg in a round hole. No matter how you do it, it's going to be problematic. It's not quite 2 separate courses, but it's not quite just 1 course, either.

Perhaps they can have separate listings, but each one starts with "overlaps xxxxxx---see separate course listing for that course". But butter.

And maybe names like
Leigh Farm Park - Advanced Layout
Leigh Farm Park - Beginner Layout

We've been struggling with this with our course, with overlapping layouts, for years.

I have the same issue at Grand Central Station in SC. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5201
There's two distinct layouts. Eight holes are shared identically, five holes use different pads or baskets, and five holes are unique. I mostly decided that having 13 holes either the same or using alternate tees/baskets made them more similar than different. If a majority of the holes were completely unique from each other, I probably would have submitted it as a different course.
But it's also a little weird in that even though several holes are shared, they're shared out of order. Layout A hole 11 is Layout B hole 2. Holes 1 and 18 are the same holes, but all other shared holes are in a different order. Looking at the hole details (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5201&mode=hi) you'd guess the two courses are utterly different courses except for holes 1 and 18.

But oh well, neither solution is really all that good.

oops, i forgot one crucial question.

that all rides on the courses/layouts having separate baskets. if they don't then i might rethink the whole thing.

Well, it's quite a mix. There are some baskets that are unique to the rec course, mostly the ones that are in the "middle" of a shared fairway, other baskets are shared baskets. So, for example, on number one, you tee off from the advanced layout #1 tee pad, but then need to hook right into a little copse of trees to get to the #1 rec course basket. Then you go to the tee pad for #2 rec, which is in the middle of the #1 advanced fairway and go to the short basket for #1 advanced. There is also a long basket, which isn't used for the rec course.

While I'm asking questions, what software do people like for editing the photos with helpful "pictures and arrows" (and a paragraph on the back of each one)?

Last edited:
okay, i take it back. sounds like it's better off leaving it the way it is.

Whats the etiquette for adding a course on DGCR that on UDisc , but not DGCR?

that's a great question. i don't use Udisc so i'm not sure. is there a way to get a course unlisted on Udisc? i assume anyone can add a course.

I went ahead and just added a review to the course with some detailed navigation instructions. I think anyone who reads those won't have an issue navigating the rec course.

Whats the etiquette for adding a course on DGCR that on UDisc , but not DGCR?

The decision to list or not to list should be the soul discretion of the property owner, period.

If you're unsure, ask the owner if they want it listed. You shouldn't list a course until the owner says they want it listed. No one should have to deal with turning people away because players simply showed up based on a search.

Even if it's quickly RIP'd, it's on the internet, and the damage has already been done.

If it's a public course, list it.

Last edited:
The decision to list or not to list should be the soul discretion of the property owner, period.

If you're unsure, ask the owner if they want it listed. You shouldn't list a course until the owner says they want it listed. No one should have to deal with turning people away because players simply showed up based on a search.

Even if it's quickly RIP'd, it's on the internet, and the damage has already been done.

^This is it.

ive ran into this problem over a handful of times

majority have been at bible camp places

I always feel sketchy playing places like that. I still do of course, but it feels sketchy.

I always feel sketchy playing places like that. I still do of course, but it feels sketchy.

one place had surveillance cameras and chit

and i had gotten followed by a car on 10 miles of county back roads prior to arriving at the course and they had turned off a few blocks before i went into the property

sketchy as hell and i didnt even get to play the course

but you know survived and just living that course bagger life

I've never felt weird playing on a Church or Bible Camp course, as long as I was welcome to play there. But I certainly wouldn't do it without permission.

People have every right to keep private courses as exclusive and under there radar as they want, whether it's a religious institution, school, business, or someone lives there.

Just because they have baskets doesn't mean we're entitled to play or list it... on DGCR, UDisc, Google Maps, DG Scene or where ever.

Last edited:
I've never felt weird playing on a Church or Bible Camp course, as long as I was welcome to play there. But I certainly wouldn't do it without permission.

People have every right to keep private courses as exclusive and under there radar as they want, whether it's a religious institution, school, business, or someone lives there.

Just because they have baskets doesn't mean we're entitled to play or list it... on DGCR, UDisc, Google Maps, DG Scene or where ever.

as far as bible camps ive asked permission or didnt play

also ive never successfully asked and then played

our bible camps around here have miles of back roads then another mile of a driveway

as far as straight up churches go theyll eye me down and probably say a prayer for me and then let me play as long as i dont have "alcohol or tobacco or drugs and dont litter"

i have 100% success rate playing at churches

Never felt weird either, but all private course feel like they come with a little extra responsibility.

I was on a road trip with a couple buddies many years ago and we finished up playing a very nice church course. In the church parking lot, we sat for a moment and we were changing out of our playing boots and a buddy announces he had found a tick in his sock. CRAP. With nobody in the lot and the lot being pretty sheltered, we proceeded to strip to our skivvies and do a quick tick check. Of course the resident priest/pastor has to roll up next to us, roll down his window and ask what we thought we were doing. CRAP. Some stammering and stuttering about ticks, and he seemed to have gotten the idea. Man, that made us feel weird.

There's also the delicate situation of adding a course before the designer/builder wants it to be added. I've had a random person create a listing for one of my courses that was still under construction and then get hit with bad reviews for being just 9 holes or having poor maintenance. Not that the fear of bad reviews should prevent a designer from publicizing a course, but it's kind of a factor. I say to myself, "dammit, I'm the designer, I'll create the course listing, I'll take the photos, and I'll open the dang course!"

But then on many occasions the designer gets done building the course and opens it up to the public and then walks away without ever creating a listing of it anywhere, and that's a crappy situation as well.

Latest posts