• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Event sponsorship what works what doesn’t

mndiscgolfer

On the cusp of another event for next year "this one goanna be big all I need is cash" anybody else hear themselves say that? I have dreams of a title sponsors and dozens of mid level sponsors coming in

You would think the PDGA would have more information / resources for the hardest working people in disc golf I've found for the most part we are on our own

Our team almost has our marketing material ready finalizing this week (1 logo, sponsorship letter, brochure, event information) fyi all proof read grammar checked unlike this post ha.

We hope to hit up 100 +local business (some we have contacts with some will be cold) looking for 25 minimum donation up to our title sponsor $3000 will have different rewards per the donation they make. Temp tee signs, banners logo on custom stamped disc etc.

I also want to offer individual / supporting sponsorships @ 25 for a name on a temp tee sign these people will be entered into a drawing for swag, free entries etc. Probably do a Facebook blast see if anybody bites then a text blast,

Not sure about a fundraiser event yet maybe in the spring

Who's been here before? Any tips to bring in the big cash?

Here is my journey maybe it will help someone

This week I contacted our local visitor bureau via facebook the gal in charge of "sports events" seemed interested to hear about the event. I made up some promotional materials included a ruff draft of our sponsorship request brochure, temp tee sign, event poster and also gave her a few Discgolfer magazines to page through. One featured a short blurb of our world leading Ice Bowl event www.stcloudicebowl.com. So that was nice. I also gave her a timeline matrix about starting as a B tier for a few years with added Cash goals of $2500 – $4000 attendance of < 180 then in a couple years making the jump to A tier status $5000+ and attendance exceeding 300+ Stay tuned to see if anything pans out would be great to get them on board. Hope to meet with her in a week or 2 to see what she thinks

I also reached out too Nate Heinold TD of the 2014 Ledgestone Insurance Open presented by ABC Discs via facebook he seemed to be pulling sponsors /raising money left and right up till his event. He accepted my friend request and we had a nice chat about his techniques. He was very helpful and we seemed to be on the same page about getting sponsorships / raising money. Basically the same stuff I'll be doing; Incentives for people getting sponsorships, fundraiser events / knocking on doors.

As of 10/10/14
Money in :) $480.45
Me 80.45
Club member $400

Money out :| 80.45
Website /domain hosting etc $80
Printing 0.45

Known expenses coming up :sick: $315
Pdga $75
Park pavillion rental 1 $80
Park pavillion rental 2 $160

Looking forward to hearing what you find working, and if you are being brutally honest as it looks like you are doing, also what falls flat.

One sneaky smart idea I saw a local club do for making sponsorships attractive: The big event already featured player shirts as part of the event gifting. However, sponsors… got a different color. Thus, they stood out. The masses got white shirts, but there were some red and some black ones around - led many to ask… "how did they get the black shirts, the red shirts?" (of course for expensing, the red or black shirts likely didn't cost the event directorship any more than the white, but they were now special nonetheless = value added without extra cost added)

Sure, it was already event weekend, but it likely spurred interest in the next year for players stepping up to medium or elite sponsor levels.

Principal: One way to reward/entice donors (if they are golfers) is by appealing to recognition, or vanity, or specialness. (beyond tee signage or shout outs)

Last edited:
sounds good as long as you can handle my grammar mistakes.

that's colored shirt gimmick that you mentioned sounds absolutely brilliant and is definitely going to get implemented.
thanks

I'm jumping in to running my first event as Assistant TD. We're doing a tournament called "The Crazy Beaver" in Waukegan, IL. 2 layouts of safari golf. The course has been there for years but this will be the first time a tourney will be made in safari style.

We're really looking forward to it. We have a a list of potential sponsors to contact, what other tips and advice can you give to help getting local and (even-non local, DG related, and non) businesses to contribute to our tournament?

Also we want to make this a great time for Open players, AMs, and sponsors with large and deep payouts, cool players packs, CTPs.

What would you really like to see in players packs? I know everyone throws different discs so it might be hard to choose a disc to put in the pack that everyone would enjoy. Anyone have insight on "untraditional" players packs?

thanks!

Cold calling/email has paid dividends for me. Of course I'm not trying to get as much as the OP. I'm just trying to offset costs for my Birdie Bash so that I can give all monies back to the local club.

Sometimes it's just being the right person at the right time in the right place. I cold emailed Bearded Brothers and they donated a case of bars and a tshirt to our raffle, simply because they are trying to make inroads in our area.

Another example is the teesign sponsorships. I was offering them for 20 dollars (again, I don't need the dollars of the OP) and got a huge hit on my second email to a local eatery, Sarge's Grill. The owner was instantly on board and offered to sponsor every hole, as well as donating raffle items. He had never even heard of disc golf before my email.

Out of the 100 or so emails/calls I made, I've received 6 answers. But every one of those answers has been donations or sponsorship. It takes a lot of time, but it's worth it in the end.

Cold calling/email has paid dividends for me. Of course I'm not trying to get as much as the OP. I'm just trying to offset costs for my Birdie Bash so that I can give all monies back to the local club.

Sometimes it's just being the right person at the right time in the right place. I cold emailed Bearded Brothers and they donated a case of bars and a tshirt to our raffle, simply because they are trying to make inroads in our area.

Another example is the teesign sponsorships. I was offering them for 20 dollars (again, I don't need the dollars of the OP) and got a huge hit on my second email to a local eatery, Sarge's Grill. The owner was instantly on board and offered to sponsor every hole, as well as donating raffle items. He had never even heard of disc golf before my email.

Out of the 100 or so emails/calls I made, I've received 6 answers. But every one of those answers has been donations or sponsorship. It takes a lot of time, but it's worth it in the end.

What did you put in your emails? 6% is pretty good!! Looking to do something similar!