• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ever been attacked by bees while playing?

The last time I got stung was funny...it had been probably 15 years since I'd been stung, and the bees that year were particularly bad, and I was gloating despite their enormous presence how I hadn't been stung in over a decade...not an hour after boasting this fact, lil' m-f'er snuck up on me and stung my hand. Bastard must've heard me talkin' crap about his peeps.

Son of * #%^@!
I was stung again. This time my buddy swatted a YJ with his disc... well it landed on my face, under my ear, and WHAM! All within an instant.

Just leave 'em alone... and calmly encourage them to fly off if they land on you. If things stay calm, they rarely sting. (Note: I didn't say never...)

Over here in Charlotte, we got Hornets Nest.....:D

Yeah...but it sucks when the Hornet's Nest is at Sugaw, not expected.

Stepped in a nest looking in the rough for my buddies disc......when the disc was lying in the fairway. Didn't notice I was standing in it until i got stung in the shin. At first it felt like i got caught on a briar, until I realized I hadn't moved my leg, looked down and there was a yellow jacket stuck in my shin and wiggling around. I ran, not realizing they were still right on top of me...and took me a minute to realize there were about 10 of them stuck by their stingers to my clothes. As I swatted them off of me one stung me in the chin. So the chin and the shin were my major stings, with a few behind my knees and legs(probably the ones stuck on my clothes). My face hurt for days.

can't say that i've been stung but its been close before on several occasions. was going to pick up my destroyer a few years ago and while reaching down two big wasps came crawling out from underneath my disc. i jumped back before they viewed me as a threat. they were more pissed about the disc than me at this point. i considered my options and ultimately grabbed a long stick and wrapped my hand/arm with the towel i had in my bag for extra protection. going back over to my disc, where there were five wasps on my disc now checking it out, i used the stick to get under the disc and fling it 20-some feet away. the wasps were pissed and going to town on the stick but ignored me. looking down at where my disc had been, there was a softball sized nest on the ground under where the disc had been. almost came face to face with nature's wrath that time but it wouldn't be the first...

I shanked one into the shnard last year and went in to get it....next thing I knew I had ground bees (hornet, wasps? I didn't take the time to ID them) stinging the crap out of my legs

hurt like crazy....nasty little land mines they are

BEEEEEEEEEEES!!!
bees.jpg

This year we had a few nests on a couple of holes at a local courses. A few people got stung but the nests were taken care of pretty quickly.

I have never been stung, and the closest I have come was on a ball golf course. I was on one side of a levy when I heard the buzzing above me. A huge swarm of bees came flying above me and the levy and made their way across the course. I guess I never got their attention so they just passed right by. I never saw them land and didn't see them while playing. That was a lot of bees though, I sat for probably 10 min. waiting for all of them to pass by.

well it happened AGAIN yesterday at mcclain prk in sn atonio. m dad and i were searching for a disc that went in the woods, and he runs out saying something got him in the head. it was pretty cold and we had not seen a single bee the whole 2 rounds we played that day so we were worried it may have been a spider so i had him take off his hat so i could look and sure enough, there was a yellow jacket in his hair that had somehow crawled up under his hat. he got stung twice in the back of his head. as i told him, sorry dad but better you than me :p

When I was less than 3 years old I peed on a ground hive. I got stung 57 times. Passed out. Woke up in the hospital hooked up to IVs and monitors and such 3 days later. My dog was protecting me, got stung up more than I did. He almost died. I now know, don't pee on the hole where the bees fly out of.

There were reports of yellow jackets stinging players in the trees/bushes to the left on hole # 3/12 at Park Circle DGC this summer. That's a bad place to put your drive anyhow, because Magnolia and Live Oak trees are just too tall to go up over the top. This was mentioned on Charleston DGC site forum, but it's worth a mention here too I guess.

park-circle-hole-3c.jpg

Last edited:
Stung three times in the neck by some wasps. Thank god they were wasps because I'm allergic to bees and I don't have an eppy pen. I ran and sat on the ground about 50 feet away trying to keep my heart from pumping to fast just incase. Told my friend I was with to be ready to sprint to the car to lead the ambulance in if it was needed. Thank got it wasn't needed.

To the OP and anyone else that escaped with only some bumps and no death. Thanks God you survived!

Played the Beast up in Western Michigan and lost my disc in the middle of a patch of trees toward the end. All of sudden total pain came over me and I ran out ripping off my shirt. I believe my father and law and brother in law thought it was hilarious and still think it is to rehash that story. When I pulled off my shirt there were about 6 bees underneath or mixed in with welts on my back. Went back to get my disc and discovered a significant nest 20 feet above where my disc landed. Good times...good times.

Never had a problem with bees on the course but I stepped on a hornets nest when I was 8 and they almost killed me. I was stung over 100 times and am allergic. **** was weak.

It was scary. I was freakin out' he thought I was over reacting. After about 10 minutes we kept on for the rest of the round. I still beat my friend!