• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever walked off the course before?

It's a good thing when I walk off the course after a round. A couple times I've been chased off the course due to insects and police and meth-heads. Six months ago or so I got an ambulance ride off the course after fracturing my skull and getting KO'd. Long time ago I hopped off the course on one leg when I fractured my tibia.

I just started playing a few months ago, but have numerous records Javelin and discus throwing, played QB and pitcher. I had my friends quit on me mid game after I got first ace and birdied three out of four holes after that. Kinda ruined first ace having friends get so bummed out by it, but they have been playing every day for years and still haven't hit that first ace yet, so I get it. I have 75 to 100' distance on anyone I've seen throw so far and it bums out the guys that have put in the work for years. Literally got one half inch from a fist fight over it. Anyway going to try to get in some real tournaments soon, and I'm sure it's a big bag of humble pie coming up:). I better learn how to putt soon. Hard work>talent.

Your friends are not your friends.

Twice.

When the round is neither helping you improve or providing any sort of entertainment, it's time to leave.

Sometimes when you are off it's time to take a break for a few days or even a couple weeks.

This; I haven't ever walked out on a tournament round, but I'll walk out on casual rounds when I'm just not feeling it. If I'm not enjoying the round and getting super frustrated, then why should I be out there?

I'm a Type 1 diabetic, so I've cut a few rounds short for medical reasons.

I played a wooded front 9 twice today, and spent a fair amount of time looking for discs. Started on 10 after a break, and found myself looking for a disc for 20+ minutes. Had to talk myself into continuing knowing that I'd probably be looking again soon. I kept going and scored my best round on that nine, though I did have the pleasure of one more substantial disc search. I need to replace that light purple disc.

I don't play tournaments, only casual play. I left the course once because of mosquitoes late in the evening and one other time because of a shoulder injury, but that's all. When my game goes to crap I just give myself an attitude adjustment and lighten up and enjoy being out on the course.:)

Several times for solo rounds. After 2 or 3 holes and things just aren't clicking with me, I'll say **** it and walk away.

But then again my mental game is terrible. Just awful. I'm working on improving it though.

It's a good thing when I walk off the course after a round. A couple times I've been chased off the course due to insects and police and meth-heads. Six months ago or so I got an ambulance ride off the course after fracturing my skull and getting KO'd. Long time ago I hopped off the course on one leg when I fractured my tibia.

Jeez dude doesn't sound like it's safe for you to leave the house. :eek:

heavy rain is usually a good enough reason for me to quit mid casual round, unless I'm course bagging.

Never quit in the middle of a tournament round, but I have quit after two (of four) complete rounds, w/o finishing the last two rounds. I did call the TD and let him know that I would not be back. Last PDGA tournament I played, and it was probably 5+ years ago.

Nowadays, I might quit after 9, but will not walk off if I'm in a group.

Last week I walked off two courses in one day. I currently live in a complete sh!thole called fort smith, arkansas. I'ts a terrible place, dodge it forever. Anyway, the bugs here are sooo bad that i left a round only 5 holes in because i couldnt keep the flies off my face long enough to throw. I walked off the course covered in welps from those relentless little bitting flies and headed across town to a completely different course. Sure enough, i made it two or three holes in when those flies showed up again and literaly chased me back to my jeep. Honestly, I blame geography. (...that's you arkansas.) :sick:

Other than that, I think I've just given up a couple times when i was just so far off it was actually hurting to keep trying. Sometimes you just gotta pack it in and catch a round online to satiate your disc golf needs. :)

Last edited:
Twice.

When the round is neither helping you improve or providing any sort of entertainment, it's time to leave.

Sometimes when you are off it's time to take a break for a few days or even a couple weeks.

Yup. If I'm not having fun I'll leave.

Examples:

- Trying to film a round, but there's too many groups or too much noise due to planes over head. I'll switch to a normal round or go to another course.

- Maybe once every two years I have a super bad round, so bad I'm not enjoying myself. If I'm solo I leave and do another hobby, in a group I switch to lefty and just try to laugh.

- Really, really bad weather. Only one or two times. I'll play in rain, but not a flash flood.

- Something more important comes up. Family emergency, last minute invite to a concert when a buddy has extra tickets etc.

I've never left a tournament, even though the last one I played was the worst two rounds I've ever carded in North Carolina. That's what I get for trying to play a tough course I hadn't thrown before 8 hours after getting a concussion. I managed to have fun by laughing at how awful I did, so it turned out ok.

When I was a newb there were a couple of rounds where I seriously considered just throwing my bag into the pond & walking away. It was just so frustrating to have a shot in mind, but not being able to execute. Just have to stick with it.
Every once in a while, it does help to put the bag down & give yourself a break from discing.

No. Never. Me and Jack the Ripper finished a league round in a blinding rain one time just to maintain our perfect attendance (A3).

I've watched a bunch of people rage quit. I guess if it stops being fun, but if that happens you are doing it wrong imo.

Last edited:
Casual rounds many times. I have played 109 sanctioned events, never walked off the course. Only once have I quit an event early, dropping out after the 2nd round from heat exhaustion.

I've had to leave two tournament rounds midway through. The first time, it was due to a family emergency. My wife was watching our baby and fell and injured herself, and I needed to leave right then and there. The other time, I injured my throwing shoulder and simply could not continue.

Walked off a few times for other people - once a rolled ankle, once quitting a new long course after playing other rounds with two guys dehydrated, etc., but I like to finish. I've played in a torrential downpour where the ladies quit 6 holes in, the other guy quit 14 holes in, and I jog/threw the last few solo (they had to walk out anyways...). I've played too long through some arm pain against my better judgement, and if I'm playing really poorly, I'll just start taking 2-3 drives / extra throws and turn it into a full on practice round. What better time to get that never-worked-on roller practice in than when you're +8 on the round?

Yes, when playing solo. In fact, just last Friday evening I did. I wasn't having a great round, and then out of frustration, threw a second approach shot that dived into the lake. I waded in after it, got it back and just said the heck with it and went home. It didn't help I was wearing pants, they went up over my knees, but I had to go a little deeper than that to get my disc back.

As some point, you are not doing yourself any good by continuing if it just isn't there. I wouldn't have done that if I was playing with someone, or in a tournament.

Never left in the midst of a tournament. Thought about it a couple of times, but nutted up and finished.
Left because of mosquitoes a couple of times during casual rounds when they were thick as thick can be.
Left a course once because the "fairways" were so overrun with foliage that I spent WAY too much time hunting for my discs on mostly blind holes. After 4 holes of hunting I said that was enough. That would fall into the category of "it just isn't fun anymore."

Latest posts