• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Every time I go to Dick's Sporting Goods

At the Dick's near where I live I am usually thinking: "I can get that disc a lot cheaper ordering online and waiting a couple of days to get it..." The Dick's around here are quite expensive.

Galyans was awesome. They actually tried to have equipment for every sport out there. Dick's only really supports ball sports, hunting, and fishing.

To the OP, yes I go by the disc golf section every time, and funny enough the one by me has a 4x McBeth Destroyer in hot pink that calls out to me.
yea dicks is high why i do factory 2nds i'm just starting out don't really care if the discs have blemishes and i can buy more transparent discs

I don't have one near me but hit them when out of town shopping with the family. I generally have gift cards from my birthday or Christmas to use so I don't mind paying the premium price in person.

Star Air P and A's... if only I needed more. :)

I did just find a nice GSTAR Shryke at one.

Every time I go to Meijer I have to stop by the disc golf section. The discs never change, but... I have to.

Too bad it's all high speed drivers besides the Skeeters, VRocs, and Aviars.

Our Meijer started carrying Discraft this year, bought a 150 gram Heat there.

I take whatever detour is necessary to somehow pass by the golf discs and then I flip through the racks in great detail even though I have no intention of buying any of them... except maybe that McBeth 4x destroyer... I would do this tonight if I went even though I was just there last night to get a bike tube. Does anyone else share this affliction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but that's very funny. It's like Disc addiction mixed with mild autism.:p

I don't live near a Meijer, but I'm jealous. I would totally scour the rack for more big z heats. Love love love that disc

When I first started, I bought the starter pack with my buddy, figured we'd share them since neither of us had any experience playing. And of course, I also had to buy a second driver since I had the foresight to realize we each needed our own disc off the tee, and of course, I bought the fastest driver they had that day because it had the biggest speed and glide numbers and I did my research by reading the Innova poster there that explained the numbers and really, bigger had to be better so I could bomb some sick drives right away. So I ended up with a max weight champion tie dyed daedalus. And surprise, I shelved this disc. But I just rebagged it today. That ugly disc is one helluva roller! Thanks Dick's! Never would have discovered it without you!

Ours opened on Memorial Day and had discraft, but they sold out fast and haven't gotten any more since. If they had those the Buzzz and Heat would be on the list too.

I drive by a Dick's every day to work, and have perused the end display with the Innova discs. They always have Grooves, Aviars, Beasts, Daedalus', Katanas, and Valkyries; sometimes a few Teebirds, Roc3s, and Wraiths. They cost more than online options, and only have discs in max weights.

I view Dick's Sporting Goods to be a disc golf convenience store, that I would shop at only if I for some reason wanted one of the above listed discs immediately, and had no other options

I also check out the selection whenever I am near a Dick's, but thinking as I read this thread that I have never seen a TeeBird (3 included). I have barely seen anything between the Champ Roc3's and a Thunderbird. It's weird how they completely exclude the category of discs that are best suited to be a beginner's first driver. Instead they got Boss's and Destroyers that few people buying their discs are going to be able to throw. I guess the higher speed #s must just sell more regardless.

DICKS

I will always have debt to DICKS SPORTING GOODS. It is because of them that I actually tried Disc Golf.

I walked by the racks of Discs here at Dicks in the Palisades Mall in Nyack NY, and it just looked really cool. I went ahead and bought an Innova starter kit and now with over 100 purchased discs later I am still going strong.

(and yes every time I pass i have to go in to feel some discs)

There used to be 2, count em 2 DISC GOLF STORES near me - one 3.7 miles north - Delta Disc Golf (maker of Delta Disc golf Cart) and Airborn Disc Golf like 4 miles south ---- both a nice place to stop by and check things out ---- both have closed :( so now the closest disc store is a good 45 min drive to the other side of town and its a real pain to get to since theres only 1 highway to cross the cities and river and its under construction / traffic is nuts - its actually like 10 miles from my house but would take forever to drive....ANYWAYS - yeah theres a DICKS SPORTING GOODS closer and ive gone there just to check it out ---- they have a small random stack of innova ALL MISLABELED - in random racks - just disorganized and overprices, like $20 for champ/star - but some of the discs were decent - its a desperation thing though --- I did buy a mini from there just because haha $2.99

I can't resist stopping at PIAS to peruse the used selection more than walking around Dick's. I always check out the used frisbees and the hockey gear. I desperately need some better shin protection.

(raising hand) Yes, I do the same thing at Dick's. One never knows...

The other day (buying a chin strap for my younger son's football helmet), I was shocked - SHOCKED! - to find several Star Destroyers on the rack - along with the aforementioned Roc 3, Daedalus, Aviar, and Groove options. Didn't get one, but I will next time. It's not one I normally have in my bag, but I keep hearing buddies of mine who swear by them. Figure I'll get one and try it out.

Well, we all know that on line shopping is taking our local shops away from us.:sick:

I can't resist stopping at PIAS to peruse the used selection more than walking around Dick's. I always check out the used frisbees and the hockey gear. I desperately need some better shin protection.
pias near me closed before i got into disc golf. Closest ones are like 2 hour drives...but a miracle happened...a store near me (30 mins) started selling used discs going there asap. Dicks is too expensive and if you try to find a disc online to see if the store has something in stock ....ohhhh no too aggravating ...btw when i go any tips for a newbie disc? so far on my hope list is an underworld, a zombee, a teebird and a buzzz...and any super light drivers. (my distance is pitiful)

Last edited:
I've shopped at Dicks before, but not in a long while. But like others have said always try to hit the PIAS. Sometimes they don't know quite what they have an dyou can get a deal, other times it's to expensive and you can't, but at least you might see some unique stuff.

Academy is better and more variety but still high.

So... my Dick's has upgraded their DG selection

Last weekend after a round my daughter "needed" to get some stuff from Dick's. I of course went by PIAS first just to see, stuff I liked nothing I really wanted especially at full retail, used selection was not good at the moment.
Get to Dick's with this thread in mind and rather than go to the disc area I head to the opposite side of the store to the ball golf area, I really like the Nike, and few other brands of golf shorts and at times they've had them on clearance. Well what do you know staring right at my face is the bigger and improved DG rack! Disc Golf standing out as you enter the ball golf area of the store. More selection of Innova with lots of Star plastic, some DX and better selection of Champ discs. Still lots of starter sets but also some of the collapsible practice baskets and a bunch of trilogy stuff. I know a lot of folks don't like the burst stuff but i'm a fan and they had a bunch of burst prime discs, plastic i've wanted to try but wasn't wanting to take the gamble online. Stiff board flat in a color I liked I picked up a Truth, EmacTruth and 2 Trespassi. I really want to see how these beat in and if the flight changes different from Lucid as it beats in.
So once again I went straight to the DG area but wasn't even trying to this time... but I bought discs and it almost seems to acknowledge the legitimacy of the sport having it move from the recreational stuff like oversized beer pong and corn hole over to Golf section.

I sell discs out of my trunk at the local course but every time I'm in Dicks's I do check out their display despite having 150-200 in my car at the time.

So... my Dick's has upgraded their DG selection

Last weekend after a round my daughter "needed" to get some stuff from Dick's. I of course went by PIAS first just to see, stuff I liked nothing I really wanted especially at full retail, used selection was not good at the moment.
Get to Dick's with this thread in mind and rather than go to the disc area I head to the opposite side of the store to the ball golf area, I really like the Nike, and few other brands of golf shorts and at times they've had them on clearance. Well what do you know staring right at my face is the bigger and improved DG rack! Disc Golf standing out as you enter the ball golf area of the store. More selection of Innova with lots of Star plastic, some DX and better selection of Champ discs. Still lots of starter sets but also some of the collapsible practice baskets and a bunch of trilogy stuff. I know a lot of folks don't like the burst stuff but i'm a fan and they had a bunch of burst prime discs, plastic i've wanted to try but wasn't wanting to take the gamble online. Stiff board flat in a color I liked I picked up a Truth, EmacTruth and 2 Trespassi. I really want to see how these beat in and if the flight changes different from Lucid as it beats in.
So once again I went straight to the DG area but wasn't even trying to this time... but I bought discs and it almost seems to acknowledge the legitimacy of the sport having it move from the recreational stuff like oversized beer pong and corn hole over to Golf section.

Our Academy has done the opposite. Now our discs are way away from the other sports. On the other side of the camping, by the nerf guns and nerf footballs.

I found a nice pre-embossed destroyer at my local Dick's not long ago, I was pleasantly surprised!

Latest posts