• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Excite Distance Driver

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
The Excite disc from Axiom Discs was PDGA Approved on 3-29-2018.

"Feel the excitement of powerful distance drives with the Neutron Excite! The Excite fills the straight-to-understable role of Axiom's 24.5mm class of distance drivers. This large-rimmed driver matches the speed of the Tantrum, but with a more neutral stability. The Excite is able to achieve long accurate distance with ease from its high amount of glide and ability to hyzer-flip straight with a lower power requirement. Power throwers will be able to send this max-speed driver on huge turnover lines with a late ending fade or attack the course with high-speed rollers. The Excite's flight characteristics emulate the Insanity, but with added speed and even more glide potential. Excite your game with the new maximum distance driver from Axiom, the Neutron Excite!" - by Axiom Discs

axiom-excite-pdga-announcements.jpg

^Click to enlarge...

This is more US than the Tantrum? And significantly more than the Teleport? I use a Mayhem a bit and its got some turn but at 174g its still pretty solid for power throws - How do these compare to Mayhem and Octane as I'm most familiar with those

This is more US than the Tantrum? And significantly more than the Teleport? I use a Mayhem a bit and its got some turn but at 174g its still pretty solid for power throws - How do these compare to Mayhem and Octane as I'm most familiar with those

So I know nothing about axiom/mvp, for perspective.

I picked up a 173 neutron excite and a 172 proton mayhem and I've played with them for about 3 rounds now. I'm currently weeding through distance driver mud and I've been toying with havocs, wraiths, worlds, ballistas, sherrifs, mayhems, and excites. Here is my take.

The excite crushes. like really, it crushes. I would say it sits somewhere between the westside world and the lat64 ballista. It has a ton of glide and my favorite part about it is that it seems to just slowly drift with slight turn for a long time. I found it really easy to power this disc down and throw it at 70-75% power and it would still get a full flight. I have not played with this disc in the wind at all.

Compared to the mayhem? Well, that's a bit tricky because I haven't been throwing the mayhem much because I keep grabbing the excite. The Mayhem seems to have both less turn and less fade than the excite. It seems to be much more of a leopard type disc whereas the excite seems to almost be like an eagle with extra turn and extra fade. The mayhem has felt a tad finnicky but I think a lot of that is because I'm still figuring it out.

I have mostly been throwing the excite on low flat lines and letting it turn on it's own, but I've also thrown it on big FH turnover shots and it has performed well. It feels like a very fast disc. The rim is super fat. I'm going to keep playing with this but it seems a lot easier to gauge the balance of throwing flex shots without flipping than the ballista does.

So for reference, I'd say the mayhem sits between the wraith and the havoc and the excite sits between a world and a ballista. Almost a bit boss like but with more turn, maybe G* boss fresh out of the box.

Excites are noticeably faster than Mayhems, and have more high speed turn. Fade is pretty similar. Excite has really high distance potential. I use my Mayhems more on the course, but tend to throw the Excites further in the field and on open bomber holes.

I'm filming an Excite / Dimension video soon.

Excites are noticeably faster than Mayhems, and have more high speed turn. Fade is pretty similar. Excite has really high distance potential. I use my Mayhems more on the course, but tend to throw the Excites further in the field and on open bomber holes.

I'm filming an Excite / Dimension video soon.

i think I posted this a long time ago haha - I have used the Teleport the most of those MAX D discs. Looking forward to the Delirium and hoping its juuuuust a hint more stable than the Teleport. I rarely bag the though as most courses I can still crush a Mayhem plenty far. A few courses in my area are more 'bomber courses' and I love busting em out Tantrum and Teleport. :thmbup:

i think I posted this a long time ago haha - I have used the Teleport the most of those MAX D discs. Looking forward to the Delirium and hoping its juuuuust a hint more stable than the Teleport. I rarely bag the though as most courses I can still crush a Mayhem plenty far. A few courses in my area are more 'bomber courses' and I love busting em out Tantrum and Teleport. :thmbup:

I have similar hopes for the Delirium. The two tester Teleports I was sent had very different PLH...one was higher than typical, one lower. The high PLH was quite possibly the best flying max D disc I've thrown, but none of the others fly like it so I know it was an anomaly.

Around here it isn't often I get to throw Mayhems, much less faster discs.

I have similar hopes for the Delirium. The two tester Teleports I was sent had very different PLH...one was higher than typical, one lower. The high PLH was quite possibly the best flying max D disc I've thrown, but none of the others fly like it so I know it was an anomaly.

Around here it isn't often I get to throw Mayhems, much less faster discs.

So when the Mayhem came out I picked up a couple---- REALLY liked it so got a couple more. They all flew the same, and it was amazing, I could power it up and it would only get a little bit more turn but always moved forward and always had a solid fade....LATELY - every new mayhem I've gotten has a more hooked under rim and much lower PLH and they are STUPID flippy. I've come across 5 mayhems (most recent purchases) that are UNUSABLE flippy....really bummed me out. I hope that's not the 'new mayhem' as I had to sell a few of them since they just are not working for me, I cannot trust them on a true distance drive. Have you had that problem at all?

I will no longer buy online at least for mayhems. I have some ocatanes so really I'm good but the 'nice mayhem' is still my favorite distance driver of all time, but not being able to replace it easily is a bummer

So when the Mayhem came out I picked up a couple---- REALLY liked it so got a couple more. They all flew the same, and it was amazing, I could power it up and it would only get a little bit more turn but always moved forward and always had a solid fade....LATELY - every new mayhem I've gotten has a more hooked under rim and much lower PLH and they are STUPID flippy. I've come across 5 mayhems (most recent purchases) that are UNUSABLE flippy....really bummed me out. I hope that's not the 'new mayhem' as I had to sell a few of them since they just are not working for me, I cannot trust them on a true distance drive. Have you had that problem at all?

I will no longer buy online at least for mayhems. I have some ocatanes so really I'm good but the 'nice mayhem' is still my favorite distance driver of all time, but not being able to replace it easily is a bummer

Last time I was in a play it again sports I noticed a few Mayhems had lower than typical PLH. I ended up passing on them and buying different discs for that reason.

It's been a while since I've bought a new one, I've mostly been trading other molds in my collection for discs I throw. Last Mayhem I got was one of the special stamped ones, and it flies perfect. More overstable than the ones I bag, but not quite as high speed stable as an Octane.

Hope not all the new runs if Mayhems are how you describe, it's my favorite distance driver.

So you switched to an Excite? That doesn't seem like they would be equivalent.

The Excite is a little closer to Mayhem stability than I expected to be honest. It definitely has more high speed turn, but they fade about the same. Excite goes a little further for me though.

This has been my main distance driver this winter and I'm so impressed with it as a bomber that I might drop a Ballista for it in my main bag. If the Excite is generally as good a disc as mine is I'm really surprised it doesn't get lauded much. It has just enough stability to keep going mostly straight and only flips badly if I roll my wrist over badly or a really decent wind gets it.

The Excite is a little closer to Mayhem stability than I expected to be honest. It definitely has more high speed turn, but they fade about the same. Excite goes a little further for me though.

I agree with Mike about that. It handles wind just about as well I'd say but I find it gets more lateral movement and certainly has more glide. My max distance driver lineup lately has been a dimension paired with an excite for open bomber courses with a fresh 175 plasma mayhem, a 165 seasoned neutron mayhem and a 163 beat neutron Octane to fill the gaps.

Excites (and dimensions for that matter) just bomb. I've got a 400-450ish arm but I consistently throw those 2 discs 20-30' further than anything else I have ever thrown. The Excite is a decent roller too although that's not my forte really.

I have a video of my first throw with the excite you can see the flight path pretty clearly in it with the late moderate turn and then solid fade back at the end. It was much earlier in my DG career so I imagine it was a little nose up but it still went out around 425ish I'd say (didn't measure this throw but I measure lots of throws here and that's my best estimate).

Excite..... vs. Relativity and Catalyst

Threw the Axiom Excite for the first time today. Neutron plastic, unknown weight (feels like 170ish). Here's what I think of the disc, and how it compares to a Neutron Relativity and Proton Catalyst. I put these three discs against each other today in the field for sheer distance.

First off, the Excite is a very wide rimmed, fast distance driver. 14 speed easily. I'll just cut to the chase. The Excite is one of (if not the) longest drivers I've ever thrown. It has a perfect combo of speed, glide, turn, and fade to produce max distance S curve bombs. The Excite turns fairly easily, but is reluctant to flip all the way over. I did turn and burn it a couple times when I got too aggressive. I was able to release the Excite flat and have it S curve beautifully and reliably. Speed and glide are noticeable here too. the Excite has above average glide, and will almost seem floaty at times. I figure I threw the Excite 20 times day. It had the longest throw of the day at 500'. That's right, I finally cracked the 500' threshold. Simply put, the Excite eats up distance with ease. It doesn't take a ton of arm to get it turned, but the disc is also resistant to flipping over entirely.

The Neutron Relativity is probably the closest thing to the Excite I had out there today. They are fairly similar drivers. Same rim width, speed, and flight characteristics. The Relativity seemed slightly harder to turn, yet easier to flip. It has a smaller "sweetspot" of effective flight. I found the Relativity more stubborn and harder to throw than the Excite. Make no mistake, though. The Relativity will go just about as far as the Excite on a good rip. Where the Relativity lost out to the Excite was late fade. The Excite remains straighter/flatter longer. The Relativity dumps left harder and sooner.

The Proton Catalyst was the easiest to turn of the 3 discs, and would flip all the way over easiest as well. The Catalyst is a speed slower than the Excite and Relatvity, but flies very nearly as far. It has superior glide and a really mellow late fade.

Conclusions: The Excite had the furthest average throws of these 3 discs today, but the others were never far behind. Occasionally the Relativity or Catalyst would wind up furthest. All 3 of these drivers are absolute top tier distance bombers. I don't think there's anything comparable on the market made by other companies. All 3 drivers can be a little finicky at times, and none of them are good for headwinds.

Excite: 14, 6, -2, 2
Relativity: 14, 5, -2, 3
Catalyst: 13, 6, -3, 2

These are the numbers I'd give these discs. The Catalyst was the flippiest of the 3. The Excite started turning easier than the Relativity, but was also less prone total flipping. The Excite showed better S curves than the Relativity. The Excite is also domier than the Relativity and had better glide.

The Excite is perhaps the best sheer distance driver I've ever thrown. I would liken it to a Shryke, but a couple speeds faster. This disc is very much worth a look for anyone wanting to max out their distance numbers.

Excite

OK, time to talk about the Excite again briefly. After acquiring this disc late last year and throwing it some, I proclaimed it to be a massive bomber. About a month ago I decided to put it in the bag for a test run.

The Excite has exceeded expectations. The course I play regularly only has 2 open "ripper" holes where I can give the Excite 100% power throws. This disc is going further than anything I've thrown out there.... by a lot. I would compare the Excite to a Katana in stability, but it isn't quite as flippy. Longer, too.

The Excite singlehandedly kicked a Shryke and Corvette out of my bag for understable distance bombs.

I've said it before, and I'll say it one more time... if anyone's looking for a new "longest driver", check out the Excite. This thing will surprise you with how easy it is to throw.

OK, time to talk about the Excite again briefly. After acquiring this disc late last year and throwing it some, I proclaimed it to be a massive bomber. About a month ago I decided to put it in the bag for a test run.

The Excite has exceeded expectations. The course I play regularly only has 2 open "ripper" holes where I can give the Excite 100% power throws. This disc is going further than anything I've thrown out there.... by a lot. I would compare the Excite to a Katana in stability, but it isn't quite as flippy. Longer, too.

The Excite singlehandedly kicked a Shryke and Corvette out of my bag for understable distance bombs.

I've said it before, and I'll say it one more time... if anyone's looking for a new "longest driver", check out the Excite. This thing will surprise you with how easy it is to throw.
What kind of distance a player should have to give the excite a try? Last time when I was in the 350 ft club I couldn't maximize its potential. Now im getting closer to the 400 ft club and finding the one disc to get that distance every time would be awesome.

Ps. Have you tried the Prodiscus Legenda?

Sounds Exciting!

That's my dad joke for the day, sorry.

Huh. My experience was almost the opposite with the Axiom and MVP drivers getting kicked out for the Corvette.

I always had a hard time controlling the Excite. But that was when it was new, so maybe I've gotten better.

What kind of distance a player should have to give the excite a try? Last time when I was in the 350 ft club I couldn't maximize its potential. Now im getting closer to the 400 ft club and finding the one disc to get that distance every time would be awesome.

Ps. Have you tried the Prodiscus Legenda?

400' is easily long enough to flex out the Excite.

The best way I'd describe the Excite is "better Katana".

I have tried a Legenda. The one I have is really flat and overstable. It didn't glide well. Reminded me of something like an Ape.

Latest posts