• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

Luckily don't have many ash trees: :thmbdown:
T09mzEF.jpg

Over the river and boat and through the woods:

Sucker route:
SOW70Ps.jpg

Top of the ridge:
SUvXebZ.png

Looks great SW22!

I unfortunately have lots of ash trees. Looking at the Google Earth images from the last few years shows just how bad it's progressed. Pics from last year were taken mid summer and there's lots of dead limbs sticking up out of the canopy.

Things I'm thankful for tonight:
Polaris Ranger, electric impact wrench, portable generator, 24 inch breaker bar, patient wife.

Wife ran off the road and shredded a tire on the Prius, which also won't go into gear now. It's sitting at the top of the drive by the road.

The flatbed trailer had 3 flats, all bad valve stems, wtf?

Lost a hitch pin for the 3pt. connection while mowing. Found the pin and finished mowing.

Removed all the flat tires to take to my mechanic tomorrow. Got in the house at about 10:30. Ugh.

... If anyone has experience to share in terms of 2 stroke extendable pole saws, I am in the market. For reference, I have owned the Stihl (131 maybe). My saws are Husqvarna, but I have no real brand loyalty at this point. Selling points for me would be weight to reach ratio, and inclusion of harness in package.
Mud

I've used a manual pole saw for 10 years. Fiskars brand If the blade is sharp it cuts like butter. Also has a pruner on it.

Been looking at Greenworks brand 80 volt cordless saw, almost pulled the trigger several times.

I've used a manual pole saw for 10 years. Fiskars brand If the blade is sharp it cuts like butter. Also has a pruner on it.

Been looking at Greenworks brand 80 volt cordless saw, almost pulled the trigger several times.

Funny you post this today! I picked up the Greenworks 80v grass trimmer yesterday with the intention of buying the 80v chainsaw bare without a battery (save about $150 in Canada) as I won't likely be using both of those tools at the same time. The trimmer is compatible with a pole saw attachment.

I'll post with a review of the saw when it arrives.

Last edited:
I have a decent manual saw, and a rope style limb saw. Some of my needs are greater than either of their capabilities. If I could get a good deal on the polesaw and a dedicated brushcutter, I would likely take it. Husqvarna looks like 12-1300 bucks for the pair. Just curious if anyone else has any input. I have looked at the current Stihl and Echo models as well.

One moment, you've lived a long life with no knowledge of a product, and been just fine without it. The next moment, you see a mention in a forum, and it's instantly a necessity.

We have a cheezy 20v Black & Decker electric pole saw. Only because it was on a promotion prize list to choose from, and we thought we'd try it. It's awesome. The battery life is short, but we seldom do that much overhead work at one time. It weighs almost nothing, since it's electric and the pole is essentially heavy-duty cardboard. And, of course, it was free.

Now someone posts about an 80v one, with a real metal pole and everything, and I have to have it. Thanks a lot.

I've had some of the Green Works stuff and was pretty impressed. Their electric (plug in) trimmer I used at my first house was a freaking beast.

My brother in law who stills lives in our old neighborhood bought their plug in mower and has been happy with it.

I'm still using that Fiskars lopper/saw combo I bought the first year out here and it's serving me well. I'm gonna have to check out this Green Works pole saw though.

Heading out in a few to pick up my zero turn. Raining this weekend so I won't get to use it until this coming week sometime. Can't wait to see what kind of time savings I get.

Having the right equipment makes a world of difference.

I know. We've spent a lot of time, making do with the wrong equipment.

Sadly I am closing my course....too much negativity combined with too few visitors.

Very sadly.

Any recommendations for a replacement pipe-dream of a bucket-list course for me? Granite Hill's been my "if I ever have the time and the money at the same time, I'm heading to Applethorpe" course.

It's the sad fate of private courses, something we probably shouldn't discuss in this forum---they're mostly ephemeral. My list of favorite all-time courses is dominated by closed ones.

Granite Mountain. Sorry, it's 7 a.m., in recovering from health issues I played the most I have in 8 months yesterday, and I'm only on my second ounce of coffee.

Sorry to hear about closing the course Nate.

If you don't mind, what kind of negativity were you facing? I remember something about folks worried about the rocky nature of the course tearing up their discs, was this the biggest negative you were dealing with?

Very sadly.

Any recommendations for a replacement pipe-dream of a bucket-list course for me? Granite Hill's been my "if I ever have the time and the money at the same time, I'm heading to Applethorpe" course.

It's the sad fate of private courses, something we probably shouldn't discuss in this forum---they're mostly ephemeral. My list of favorite all-time courses is dominated by closed ones.

Same.... Coyote trace had a real chance of being a top ten on dgcr. Holler was a top 10. Hated to see them close.

Ive always been intrigued by the variety of hole setups possible when bi-directional considerations are explored from the get go. Sometimes the work. load increases dramatically, but if the time and energy is available, it pays off for years to come. Of course, with a strong design concept, the metamorphosis can be implimented periodically as time allows. My design comrade Joey Johnson and I designed the now debunked Govan Course with reversible holes in mind. We eventually chiseled things down to a standard 18 utilizing some of the a to z holes mixed with some z to a holes. Worked out great for us.

That's how my home course started out. Pending additional land purchasing, it may return to that if I want to have 18. It does take considerable forethought, but the pay-off in terms of maintenance and maximizing land use are totally worth it. It does make having more than one group play at a time a little difficult, but that is way down my priority list.

Mud