• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Experiment: 2 finger BH grip

Technohic

* Ace Member *
So, I missed going out to disc golf this weekend. Was actually on our way when my son threw up on himself and that ended the trip, but I got out and was in a relatively open field driving my Banger-GT to try to get some throws in.

I tried mixing in some different grips and all in all I was throwing pretty solid, but then, after trying the pinky curled in, I curled in my ring finger as well, so just my index and middle finger pads were on the rim, had to rely on my thumb to control nose angle though, as it doesnt offer much support this way underneath.

Well, I threw my Banger like that for a while and was getting the cleanest release I had all day and very seldom getting any wobble that I could tell. Seemed like I was getting a smoother flight also, as was getting less fade at the end. Got my banger up over 200'.

Even took out my wraith and found I didnt have to nut it and was still not getting the fade I had in the past. I had less than 250' so couldnt really try to go for distance but the only thing I could think of was I was just getting some nice spin.

Anyone ever try to throw with just the 2 fingers like that? I know it probably wouldnt be considered a very powerful grip but it seemed to do me more justice in just beeing smoother.

I used to throw a 2 fingered drive up until this year. I switched to a power grip to get more control. I have lost distance but definitely gained some control. The release on the 2 fingered grip is definitely smoother. I think different things work for different people. I have a buddy who does no run up and he drives 350-400. I think its all about finding that throwing style that works for you.

It sounds like something in your power grip is off. In the 4 finger power grip, your little fingers and middle finger should come off the rim just before the index finger. The disc pivots/flings off the index finger in most grips. You don't need to apply much pressure from the pinky and ring fingers, but they help control and power into the hit. Watch Bradley Walker's video where he talks about the disc pivot.

I figure it is a combination of too much pressure I am putting on my pinky and ring finger and/or an issue with my wide hands maybe having my grip on too much of the disc not letting it get much of a pivot.

I might do the 2 finger for a while then work my ring finger on but try to do it lightly. And if that works, try to get my pinky on there the same way, but so far, the 2 finger is working. I know it isnt perfect but, its something to work for.

I figure it is a combination of too much pressure I am putting on my pinky and ring finger and/or an issue with my wide hands maybe having my grip on too much of the disc not letting it get much of a pivot.
I'd work on focusing your grip rather than trying a new one. Don't worry about gripping with your middle, ring or pinky, just focus on a tight grip between your index and the base of your thumb. Let the other fingers just rest on the rim. You may be able to back off on how tight you grip, too.

I'd work on focusing your grip rather than trying a new one. Don't worry about gripping with your middle, ring or pinky, just focus on a tight grip between your index and the base of your thumb. Let the other fingers just rest on the rim. You may be able to back off on how tight you grip, too.

I will give that a try. 4 fingers feels comfortable enough, I just havent been getting that clean feel on it so I have been trying to mix it up here and there. Went out at lunch and grabbed some of my discs, without thinking then tried to look at how I was holding it out of instinct with the 4 finger power grip and most the presure was between the 4 fingers and the crease of my hand opposed to just the index and the base of the thumb.

Worth a shot at least.

You know, if I can get half of the great advice down, or even an eighth for that matter; that you have given me, I owe you a beer.

I have been doing it all wrong, majorly wrong

:mad:

Its funny, that I have been disc golfing for years, then finally get into enough to maybe watching videos and it doesnt seem to help a whole lot. A little, just not getting that breakthrough

Then I finally start asking for advice and buying all sorts of different discs (Worst thing to do BTW) and I still havent quite gotten there. I understand the terminology and can do a variety of throws just not to the performance or distance I want.

Then finally, my lazy a$$ reads, and I dont mean skim, I mean really read diferent articles on the mechanics of throws; footwork, BODY motion, arm motion and GRIPs, then one day, I figure out you have been doing it ALL wrong, for years. :mad:

My basics are completely screwed up.

Been reading here and reading at discgolfreview.com and basically, well, I hadnt been using my body but I think I got that figured out, just need some rythm.

Then I started looking at my grip, hence this thread and started reading some more and I must have passed the picture on discgolfreview a thousand times and it never sank in but I am gripping with my wrist bent to where my hand is higher to make the disc flat, instead of keeping my lower arm straight, exactly the way they show not to do here,
discorientation02.jpg

and that was my idea of doing an anhyzer instead of keeping everything in line, and I am sure that is where I am just sucking the snap and probably nose angle right out of my throw. usint the 2 fingers only was probably making me not keep to opposite end up so high.

It will be a hard habit to break as I think I have been doing this since day 1, but how screwed up am I?

Up until about 2 weeks ago i threw all my RHBH shots with the 2 finger grip. When i started discing, i threw all my drives FH, one day my buddy who rarely goes discin comes out and i lend him a disc and he poceeds to chuck backhands farther than my forehands were going at the time. prior to that day i had tried throwing BH using the 3 and 4 finger grips, and could never get any snap at all. so i tried the 2 finger grip, immediately started getting hella snap, longer straighter drives, and more desirable flight patterns. So i ran with that, basically built my whole game on it for about 2 years. One thing i noticed was that all of my BH drives started out much much straighter than anyone else i was throwing with, but when i wanted a long, sweeping hyzer i could never get it because the first part of the flight was too straight. Any way i looked at it, i was still out throwing most of my buddies, with better accuracy to boot. My mids went straight as an arrow, my s curves were great, and my distance drives always turned over just slightly giving me better distance. but then i hit a plateau, and while once in a while i can sneak a disc out past 330-340, 95 percent of my all out rips land withtin 10 feet either side of 300. then came the OAT, because i was trying to force it too much. it all went down hill from there. some of this may be due to stubbornly insisting on 175 weight drivers. stupid i know, but I was king on the windiest days. So i studied articles, vids, all that jazz, and realized i have to start all over. i started trying the 3 finger grip, still in the works but i'm getting it to do what it should. I don't have the snap i want, but it will come. my hyzers are long and sweeping now, but i have not yet gotten the s curve down. I am also planning on discing down, no more surges or wraiths till i can get this junk all figures out with my eagle, TL, sidewinder, and roc. may grab a valk. I still use the 2 finger for my mid range shots, i find it works great for any tike i need finesse but i just cant deal with sitting on a power plateau that never changes. I am way to crazy about this sport to not keep getting better, and i havent gotten much better all year.

If you are just straight up trying to maximize your game, realize that every single top player throws some variation of the power grip with all fingers involve. Failing to at least attempt something similar is just teaching yourself a weaker technique. If you are playing for fun, obviously do whatever you want, but if you are trying to improve your game long turn, distractions like this are self defeating.

:mad:

Its funny, that I have been disc golfing for years, then finally get into enough to maybe watching videos and it doesnt seem to help a whole lot. A little, just not getting that breakthrough

Then I finally start asking for advice and buying all sorts of different discs (Worst thing to do BTW) and I still havent quite gotten there. I understand the terminology and can do a variety of throws just not to the performance or distance I want.

Then finally, my lazy a$$ reads, and I dont mean skim, I mean really read diferent articles on the mechanics of throws; footwork, BODY motion, arm motion and GRIPs, then one day, I figure out you have been doing it ALL wrong, for years. :mad:

My basics are completely screwed up.

Been reading here and reading at discgolfreview.com and basically, well, I hadnt been using my body but I think I got that figured out, just need some rythm.

Then I started looking at my grip, hence this thread and started reading some more and I must have passed the picture on discgolfreview a thousand times and it never sank in but I am gripping with my wrist bent to where my hand is higher to make the disc flat, instead of keeping my lower arm straight, exactly the way they show not to do here,
discorientation02.jpg

and that was my idea of doing an anhyzer instead of keeping everything in line, and I am sure that is where I am just sucking the snap and probably nose angle right out of my throw. usint the 2 fingers only was probably making me not keep to opposite end up so high.

It will be a hard habit to break as I think I have been doing this since day 1, but how screwed up am I?

T-hic, I've come to precisely the same realization. I knew was screwed up having topped out at 240-260, and I knew it had to do with swinging my arm away from my body and not pulling through across my chest but I couldn't do anything about it. I've finally come to the realization that it trying to grip it firm I'm locking my forearm and elbow so tight I can't do anything but release it away from my body. I loosened up my grip a bit this past weekend and snapped a few good ones off, pulling the disc straight across my chest. Of course I have no idea how to aim it yet and the results were wildly inconsistent but at least I have a lead to follow. I'd really like to crack the 300' barrier without rolling before I have to hang'em up. I've done it in the past a few times with a flick but that kills my shoulder and upper arm anymore. I'm not sure where I picked up this bad habit but I've been throwing it this way a long, loooonnnggg time.

Same boat with oat. I've wasted a couple years throwing wrong. I could get my drivers out to 300 before but now with the bent arm tecnique and a 4 finger power grip I can pass 300 with my buzzz. I'm having grip issues with my drives though and also searching for a magic grip. It was deffinatly a step back, I'm one step forward and waiting for that next step.

You should be able to grip a disc firmly without seizing up your upper arm muscles, but if loosening your grip is what it takes to let your elbow bend, I suppose that's what it takes. :)

I took a step back today but its probabl for the better. Played 3 rounds with nothing but a Leopard and a Bager-GT and was doing everything with those and working on my technique.

After the 3 rounds, went to hole 1 and threw 9 of my drivers and I took a step back on distance probably to the 225' range but what was funny is, it was like that from my leopard to my Wraith and all of them landed withing probably 50' of each from the middle disc so probably a span of 100'. The Wraith, while I dont plan to throw it for some time as I will probably just work with the Leopard til I get to 300' again, did not have much fade at all and a nice flight so I think its a matter of getting my corrected tecchnique more natural and fluid to where I can increase my velocity on it.

Hell, even the banger-gt was getting 225'. I dont know if it is a good sign or if I made it worse somehow. I've gotten them further before but I was really trying to slow down and try to get it right.

In my early years golfing i used the power grip but then soon realized that the two finger (techinically one finger) ,thumb on top middle of rim and pointer finger on the underside lip is the best for me. I have the longest throw of most of my friends and it feels very comfortable and precise. My fingers are on the long side , so that may help me.

Wow, this has been a while. I still use the 2 finger, or did until last weekend playing in the snow. Had to add the other fingers back in and go with the regular power grip cause the discs were too slick.

Yeah with colder weather i have that same problem. What works for me is to lick my index finger and thumb and rub them together. After I do that it makes it a little grippier for me ( when its warm).

i stopped using the 2 finger last summer, though i find sometimes I subconsciously revert back to it at the last second when I am going for distance, which i am sure is not good. took me a while to get the hang of all those extra fingers on the rim, but as time goes on it is all starting to click. careful with that 2 finger, guys, its a hard habit to drop once it's in your head.

yea i stopped throwing two fingered last year because i used to cut the tips of my fingers pretty badly. im not sure if the grip had anything to do with it but my power grip now is just fine

I am going to give it a try. I want to get some more distance and I really think that girp has a big impact on my driving ability. Without thinking I have been leaving my pinking finger off my disc as I drive now and seem to get a better snap. I will give the two finger idea a try, if it works great, if not, back to power grip.

Latest posts