• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Explorer

Can anyone compare the Explorer to either the Spark or the Thief?

Had a 166g Lucid Thief that after about 6 weeks turned into a straight flyer for me (and my arm speed is not that fast)...that's basically how I lost it, threw it out over a stream thinking it would come back, never did!

So now I'm looking at the Explorer or Spark as a slightly shorter Thief to complement my Lucid Convict that I love.

Thanks!

TripleB

The Spark is a lot more overstable than the Explorer. The Explorer is more like a mellow Teebird while the Spark is like a Brinster Teebird. Its really quite overstable. I get a slight turn out of the Explorer in a gentle / moderate headwind while the Spark doesnt care about headwinds. I love to release the Spark on a slight anhyzer and have it flex, the Explorer would spend most of its time turning when released on an anhyzer, the Spark flexes out fairly early. I mean, the Spark doesn't fade right out of the hand like a Firebird (at least not the gold line Sparks, the first run flat Optos was very similar to a Firebird), but it wont turn on a flat release either. It loves being powered up. I think 7 4 0 3 is a fair rating for the Spark, the Explorer is more like 7 5 -0.5 2

Last edited:
The Spark is a lot more overstable than the Explorer. The Explorer is more like a mellow Teebird while the Spark is like a Brinster Teebird. Its really quite overstable. I get a slight turn out of the Explorer in a gentle / moderate headwind while the Spark doesnt care about headwinds. I love to release the Spark on a slight anhyzer and have it flex, the Explorer would spend most of its time turning when released on an anhyzer, the Spark flexes out fairly early. I mean, the Spark doesn't fade right out of the hand like a Firebird (at least not the gold line Sparks, the first run flat Optos was very similar to a Firebird), but it wont turn on a flat release either. It loves being powered up. I think 7 4 0 3 is a fair rating for the Spark, the Explorer is more like 7 -0.5 0 2

So if I'm looking for a 166g Lucid Convict type flight (-1,3), just shorter, do you think the Opto Spark, Opto Explorer, or maybe the 400G Prodigy F2 would be a better option?

As mentioned, I thought my 166g Lucid Thief was going to be my fairway driver that I could count on to finish left (rhbh) for me but it just never did.

I appreciate your input!

TripleB

I have no experience with the Convict, but the Spark is not a -1. It has solid HSS, it's a 0 turn for sure. Its really quite overstable.

So if I'm looking for a 166g Lucid Convict type flight (-1,3), just shorter, do you think the Opto Spark, Opto Explorer, or maybe the 400G Prodigy F2 would be a better option?

As mentioned, I thought my 166g Lucid Thief was going to be my fairway driver that I could count on to finish left (rhbh) for me but it just never did.

I appreciate your input!

TripleB
I throw a convict, not too similar to the explorer. My explorer tracks right slightly but ways finishes on hyzer. My convict flips to flat rides right and comes back harder than the mellow fade of the explorer. At what you say your arm speed is you may be able to push the explorer farther that your convict but it can be thrown like a tweener type disc if you wan that. I'd highly recommend it, I don't think you'll be let down by it.

I have no experience with the Convict, but the Spark is not a -1. It has solid HSS, it's a 0 turn for sure. Its really quite overstable.

Would a Gold Line Spark be less overstable (or easier to break in) than an Opto Spark in the same weight?

Thanks!

TripleB

If you can't flip a Convict then a Spark is probably going to be quite overstable and dumpy for you. The Spark seems to be more of a "pro" level fairway, in that if you are constantly turning Convicts over you could trust something in the stability range of a Spark.

I haven't thrown an Explorer, but have seen them thrown and they are Teebird-ish with a sweeping fade. They will get much easier distance than a Spark from what I can tell, and still have a fade especially if thrown with hyzer.

Edit: Keep in mind the discs you are comparing to of Trilogy that became too straight for you. Truths are supposed to be neutral but handle good hard throws. Thiefs everyone has said are way more flippy than the numbers. On the other hand, the Spark is known for being quite beefy.

Last edited:
I got a spark over winter and didn't throw it until I was doing field work to put together my 2018 bag. I threw spark, river (Opto-X, opto, gold), river pro, and explorer the spark was by far the most over stable with the river pro second.

I lost my explorer yesterday doing fieldwork. So if you have one that's 8/10 and up and 174-175 preferably white, or blue. I want it.

I would welcome any comparisons to the Convict and Culverin. I assume the Convict and Culverin are a bit longer due being speed 9?

Latest posts