• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Extreme Arm Pain

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I don't know what I did, but about 2-3 weeks ago, I started to get an aching pain in my throwing arm (right handed). It started in my forearm, and I get it sometimes in my bicep. On Friday, I started playing, and I didn't feel it , till about two throws in, my arm felt like it was going to fall off, it was hurting so bad.

I will say at my job, I do a lot of pulling and pushing, tightening and loosening cargo straps on a open bed cargo truck. I have been doing it for a couple of years, but the pain just started a few weeks ago. Sometimes it aches and sometimes, I am fine, till I throw a disc.

Now I put some Icy Hot on it, and took some pain pills during the round, and it seemed to have gotten a little better, but today , its sore again. I am thinking of taking a few weeks off from playing. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, or have had anything like this, or should I just go ahead and see the doctor?

Have you tried a heating pad. If its a muscle then apply heat. If its a joint issue then ice. Definetly take some time off. Don't cripple yourself. Then you cant play disc golf anymore.:(
If it still hurts after a couple of days rest then go see a doctor. Good luck.

Have you tried a heating pad. If its a muscle then apply heat. If its a joint issue then ice. Definetly take some time off. Don't cripple yourself. Then you cant play disc golf anymore.:(
If it still hurts after a couple of days rest then go see a doctor. Good luck.

Yea, as much as it sucks, I think I am going to stop playing till the week of Christmas, so that will give me three weeks off from playing.

Forearm and bicep? That sounds a little more involved than the usual tendinitis. Do you have any bruises visible? If so, could indicate a torn muscle. My guess is you've strained a tendon that attaches your forearm to your bicep, at the attachment areas.

Take 2/3 weeks off and baby it. Start with ice for a few days then start putting some heat on it and ease back into your disc golf activity very slowly. If the problem persists, either A) take months off to heal or B) go see a medical professional.

Tendons attach muscle to bone, tendon-itis means inflamed tendons visa vie tight or overworked muscle. Repetitive motions, I.e., tightening straps wreck havoc on forearm flexors and extensors. If bicep is tight, which it sounds like, as is your primary forearm supinator, you've got to loosen the tissue network around the joints of both the shoulder, and elbow. Wrist too I suppose. Tomorrow I will post a few stretches on a video that is something I have done and do with myself, clients and students. In the meantime keep moving it, albeit in a relaxed manner and no dg. Careful on overdoing anti inflams. Inflammation is not a bad thing.

Something I've run across lately is taking over the counter magnesium and zinc supplements for muscle pain. I've been doing a lot of bending, stooping and lifting and almost overnight after starting the pills, I felt better and more flexible.

I had a similar "traveling" pain in my throwing arm that ended up being a nerve issue in my neck. Discovered via an MRI that a swollen disc was pressing on a nerve bundle that feeds my arm.

I took 2-3 months off(and learned to throw lefty) and it's pretty much gone. I had to throttle back on the drives for a while

I'm feel strongly that nightly icing is the best thing one can for feeling banged up here or there. It's amazing the difference it can make.

It's gonna sound crazy,but I've heard a weak shoulder muscle can cause this type of pain.

I'm not sure how you go about figuring this out except for going to a doctor,but this what I have heard.

I had tennis elbow from over doing field work. I was also gripping the disc too hard. Pain lasted 3 months. I should have taken more time off of DG but I didn't.

Flex bars and Serola Gel Arc Elbow Brace worked well for me. I am now pain free, gripping softer (and throwing cleaner/better as a result).

Your milage may vary. See a doctor. I did not have any biceps issues.

You're doing physical repetitive work and you hurt, you should find out if you have a designated workers' comp doctor that you can get an eval, and if needed covered treatment, from.

Latest posts