• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Fairway pairings

I like the Thunderbird/Valkyrie combo. Some will say they are control drivers and not fairways but my Truths fly so far that I don't bag TeeBirds or Leopards anymore.

Those faster mids are defiantly fairway ruiners. My M4s are holding down the slot I might otherwise be filling with a Leopard or two

I used to use teebirds but I kept losing my favorite broken in ones. Recently switched to Pds and havent really look back.

Currently I bag:
Fresh cpd overstable
Beat first run spd straight with a lot of fade
Beat third run cline pd lots of turn but still fades
Beat ppd turns over or rollers

Well it depends on my mood that day. I have three favorite combinations:

My go-to:
2 Champion Firebirds (one FAF)
3 Echo Star Teebirds (seasoned in stages)
1 Pro Leopard (mostly for rollers)

My old setup:
1 Champion Firebird (FAF)
1 C PD (CFR flatty)
3 S PDs (seasoned in stages)

My minimalist for fun setup:
1 Champion Firebird
1 Champion Eagle
1 Champion Eagle L

Fairway drivers have always been the class I can't decide on. They are so versatile and fun, and there are so many good ones, especially from Innova. Every time I think I've settled on straight Teebird goodness, I remember how much I love flexing Eagles, or flipping seasoned S-PDs.

edit: Also, it's very fitting that my 2000th post is about not being able to decide on a fairway combo. Thanks DGCR.

So many good combos.

If we're talking control driver speed, I roll with a Glow Firebird, fresh and seasoned QOLFs, and a flat heavy Star Roadrunner. These see nearly all my distance drives.

Then I like speed 6 fairways to pair with them. A mix of Circle Stamp Champ Cheetahs and older Gazelles.

Those faster mids are defiantly fairway ruiners. My M4s are holding down the slot I might otherwise be filling with a Leopard or two

Totally agree. Between fast mids and the TL/River, the Leopard got squeezed out (of my bag) with no place to be.

Yeah I agree with that for sure. Although in my case it is a Kaxe causing problems. Still enough room in there for a couple Rocs, but sure is causing problems for my Eagles. Been throwing them off and on for years but lately I'm reaching for them less and less =(

Currently in the bag
Gold Line diamond (hyzer flip, and hyzer flip to turn over)
Star Tee bird (straight backhand and forehand with fade)
Star Leopard 3 (laser beam straight with minimal fade)
Added a New Star leopard to the bag yesterday. We'll see if it fills a spot in the bag permanently.

156 G Star Leopard
175 Glow Champ Teebird
175 Trident for utility shots
I consider these more control drivers but some consider them as fairways so:
171 Opto Saint
175 Star Thunderbird
175 Z Predator

I tailor what I carry depending on the course.

These are the fairways in my rotation to choose from...
171 Champ Thunderbird
174 Opto Saint Pro
167 Opto Saint Pro
174 Opto Saint
169 Opto Fury
167 Star TeeBird
170 GStar TeeBird
171 S-Line FD
172 VIP Warship
171 Champ Leopard3

When I'm going to a woodsy course that I've never played before I've been known to carry all of them.

I carry FDs and PDs to cover a good portion of the control/fairway drives I need.

2 sFD. One beat for rollers/quick turns, one new for more low line drive finesse shots.

4 PDs. 2 P-Line - 1 beat for hyzer flip to turnover, 1 newer for straight hyzer flips with little fade. 2 S Line - a newer 167 for controlled distance, and a 175 for straight to hyzer or ability to handle a bit more wind.

I've almost always had cycles of fairways since I started playing. Guess that's the way I learned, since I spent a lot of time over on DGR when I started. Teebird/leopard, or EagleX/EagleL, or my current setup, it's always been pretty condensed. Do a lot with a little, learn the molds, and build confidence in the stuff you throw the most.

I bag a teeb/leo combo:

- Fresh MF teeb 173g: quite flat, not quite T3 level flat. Reliable in any condition.
- Seasoned star teeb 167g
- fresh GStar leo 170g
- seasoned DX leo 170g: rollers, hyzer flips

//

My fairway choices are often subtly influenced by my choice of control drivers and DDs. Like, If I'm bagging a thunderbird alongside some valks instead of my usual tern-based distance setup, I might skip the MF teeb altogether, or go with a less intense bookend to my fairways like a regular champ domey teeb.