• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Famous Crosswinds of Belmont and Sidearm

Oldalan

I played at an event this weekend in Dayton, Ohio[Happy 70 Steve-O:thmbup:}HAHA and found the legendary crosswinds of Belmont not being receptive to a sidearm. [Backhand not good for my bad back on long shots] and sidearm is it. No one it seems was throwing sidearm but me on drives and some were very comical to say the least. I read all the explanations and most you had to be a rocket scientist to understand. Overstable disc, Understable disc, wind left to right, right to left, give up disc golf, take up Curling? HELP! Someone have a simple answer with crosswind conditions as headwind and tailwind conditions are little better to handle with the sidearm. I tried to keep the disc as flat as possible but did some experimentation with the angle of the disc itself with mixed results. Thanks for listening and any help. Great tournament!

Last edited:
take up Curling?

I think taking up curling is always a good option. They're discs too, right?

Here's an attempt at simplification on crosswinds:
Simple principle #1: when wind catches the underside of the disc, it can push it really far in that direction
Simple principle #2: a crosswind can be loosely compared to a headwind or tailwind. Here's how. If the wind is blowing left to right, that acts a little like a headwind for right hand forehand throws. I.e. I've found that it accentuates the initial turn phase. On the other hand, that same wind acts a little like a tailwind for RHBH throws, decreasing the turn of that disc. Of course, if the bottom of the disc gets exposed to the wind, simple principle #1 takes over.

Sound right to anyone else? Or am I spouting nonsense?

Sidearm and Crosswinds

Being from Oklahoma I believe you. You are correct sir on the curling discs. Thanks it makes sense to me!

Here's an attempt at simplification on crosswinds:
Simple principle #1: when wind catches the underside of the disc, it can push it really far in that direction
This is the most helpful principle to remember, I think. In other words: If the wind blows against the underside, it'll lift the disc (much!) to the side; if it blows against the topside, it pushes it down (a bit). I.e. avoid letting the disc catch the underside of the disc -- it's as easy as this. ;-)

I played at an event this weekend in Dayton, Ohio[Happy 70 Steve-O:thmbup:}HAHA and found the legendary crosswinds of Belmont not being receptive to a sidearm. ...Thanks for listening and any help. Great tournament!

That's my local course, and I had no idea there was a tournament there this weekend.

What about disc stabilities? I understand the head/tail wind concepts of using overstable into the wind & understable with a tailwind. What I have yet to grasp fully is what to throw when you have crosswinds.

So if the wind is blowing left to right, when I flick a disc out there, is it best to stable up or down? From what advice has been given thus far, it seems obvious to not expose the underbelly of the disc in this scenario, so is the disc to be thrown flat or with a anhyzer angle?

The wind has been vexing me for some time & I, too, would benefit greatly from some sound advice.

What about disc stabilities? I understand the head/tail wind concepts of using overstable into the wind & understable with a tailwind. What I have yet to grasp fully is what to throw when you have crosswinds.

So if the wind is blowing left to right, when I flick a disc out there, is it best to stable up or down? From what advice has been given thus far, it seems obvious to not expose the underbelly of the disc in this scenario, so is the disc to be thrown flat or with a anhyzer angle?

The wind has been vexing me for some time & I, too, would benefit greatly from some sound advice.

Read the article scarpfish linked above. Covers all of it.

Curling "discs" turn with their rotation
Disc discs turn against their rotation

I have a couple of discs that I keep around for that exact instance. I usually flick Firebirds and Apes, which are pretty OS but for stupidly extreme winds, I have a Spirit and a first run Rask that I use.

They are some of the most OS ever made and can be thrown into most winds and not flip.

What discs were you throwing?

Sidearm and Crosswinds

Firebirds, Starfires, Destroyer, Shryke, Boss, and Monster with the different winds and a sidearm.

Last edited:
Belmont is just crazy when its windy. The way the wind swirls around that place and rolls up and down the slopes, it just plays tricks with discs. Putting there is especially brutal when its windy, because of those old rickety baskets. You put a lot of pressure on yourself to park holes, which often leads to bad shots. Most of the advice in this thread is good, but just remember that even the correct shot can still get hammered by a weird gust/swirl/up or down draft. Wind is a killer just smile and say "thank you sir may I have another?"

Read the article scarpfish linked above. Covers all of it.

Years ago, when I was a wee lad of 48 years of age, I read this article & it hurt my brain. With these articles, a side armer has to convert every thing. Kinda like the days of when our tee signs were still in yards, instead of feet.

Now that I'm older, maybe I can handle it. I'm going to give it a go. Thanks Broken.:)

Years ago, when I was a wee lad of 48 years of age, I read this article & it hurt my brain. With these articles, a side armer has to convert every thing. Kinda like the days of when our tee signs were still in yards, instead of feet.

Now that I'm older, maybe I can handle it. I'm going to give it a go. Thanks Broken.:)

Ha, I get it. After years of backhand I'm now exclusively a side armer after my second shoulder surgery.
It really is a omprehensive article though.

Brutal, you are correct sir. The wind was CRAZY and SWIRLING! Is that possible?

Ive played some tournaments there where it was literately stupid, lol. The only time I remember being there and it was calm was when it rained the first round at an event last year. Then it stopped and the wind picked up for the second round. Man it was just stupid. I seen a guy throw a champ destroyer that almost landed upside down...

Latest posts