• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Course in California REAL THREAD!

What is your favorite course in California?>

• Birds of Paradise

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Sky High DGC

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Coyote Point DGC @ Lake Casitas

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • DeLaveaga Park

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • Stafford Lake County Park

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Turtle Rock Park

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Perigrine Point

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Bijou Community Park

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Sylmar(Veterans Park)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Humboldt State University

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other(Comment what it is)

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
I've played them all and I would of include a few different ones in there.

I've played all of these except for Sky High, Casitas, and Sylmar.

As for your list I would have to put them in this order.

1. other - Horse Mtn.
2. BOP
3. other - Squaw Valley
4. HSU
5. Stafford Lake
6. DeLa
7. Turtle Rock
8. Bijou
9. Perigrin

I've played all of these except for Sky High, Casitas, and Sylmar.

As for your list I would have to put them in this order.

1. other - Horse Mtn.
2. BOP
3. other - Squaw Valley
4. HSU
5. Stafford Lake
6. DeLa
7. Turtle Rock
8. Bijou
9. Perigrin

Peregrine #9? Questionable at best

^^^Having played getting close to 700 courses now, and understanding there has been a new design there....the couple cliff side holes still stand out as a couple of the coolest I've ever seen. Most of the course was not real special from a disc golf stand point alone; but the "energy" of the place and the super huge pine cones :) on trees only knee high were also quite different/cool. A course on the top of a mesa is also very different (or, at least for a Midwesterner was)...

^^^Having played getting close to 700 courses now, and understanding there has been a new design there....the couple cliff side holes still stand out as a couple of the coolest I've ever seen. Most of the course was not real special from a disc golf stand point alone; but the "energy" of the place and the super huge pine cones :) on trees only knee high were also quite different/cool. A course on the top of a mesa is also very different (or, at least for a Midwesterner was)...

Maybe as a local it's different because we have those views all of the time. The city just took away our most epic shot (hole 3) due to erosion. The course is uninteresting throwing wise and gets closed when it is wet. I don't know about the "energy" you are talking about. Maybe it was caused by the 10,000$ that is paid by the DG community every year to keep that POS open. To each his own.

....probably just because I drove all night long....for one of the first times....got to play the course with one of my brothers; who rarely plays....arrived at the crack of dawn....was met up with by a local who ended up staying later than he should of; based on his work schedule....played two rounds with us...showed us the layout of a course that was not marked real well...and my brother grip locked a disc over the side of that cliff that is BY FAR the longest in the air flight I've ever seen....:) *In other words, I don't know all the local stuff; but it was a quite interesting experience for me*

I've only played DeLa. Not going to vote. So many great courses in California. So little time! I think I'll try and hit a few of those on my next visit.

I'm going to have to suggest Tahoe Vista as at top 5 and throw Sierra College in Truckee in there. That's all the input I can give, haven't had the opportunity to get down and play some of the greats at lower elevation...

None of those are my favorite course in California.

I like Black Mouse more than DeLa and I like Lava Creek more than Peregrine Point. Haven't played any courses south of Monterey or the ones out on the north coast, so to be fair there are a bunch on the list that I can't rank.

Peregrine is a fantastic course, but it's not in the same category as most of the courses on this list. It's a must play if you are in the area because of the views and terrain. De La and Stafford Lake are the cream of the crop, with many of the Tahoe courses just behind.

None of those are my favorite course in California.

I like Black Mouse more than DeLa and I like Lava Creek more than Peregrine Point. Haven't played any courses south of Monterey or the ones out on the north coast, so to be fair there are a bunch on the list that I can't rank.

With my limited experience, I look at De La and Golden Gate as very similar. Lots of fun, but would rank higher without the crowds and waits. Black Mouse rocks, but can be played easily with a mid and a putter. It's hard to call it anything in the top list, although it's easily on the level of Heilman in Atascadero, or Sierra Pines in Twain Harte. All of which I loved. Gotta go for Stafford just for the scenery and the solitude...... And the course is butt kickingly fun.
Still have to hit the Tahoe area and the Sac area. One of these days...

I think I might be able to hit Peregrine and Lava Creek the week before Thanskgiving, we'll be visiting family in Chico. I'm looking forward to hitting a few more of the favorites in the state. I'm also planning on heading up to Sylmar tomorrow. By the end of the year, I'll only be missing Humboldt and Birds off this list.

I've played 88 courses in California so I think I have a clue. I really have a hard time deciding between Lake Casitas, DeLa and Stafford Lake. All three offer sensational natural beauty, challenge and great elevation. I tried to play Birds of Paradise on my last Cali trip but they weren't open on my only available day. I would have loved to have played one more of California's finest courses. From what I've heard that if more players could experience BOP, it just might move to the head of the class.

For my skill level Golden Gate is a perfect throw but it's lack of challenge keeps it off any list of Cali's best.

Hands down BOP is the Best Cali Course i've played but i haven't any of the courses around LA area. I do think though if more people could play BOP it would be at the front. @Mashnut you should really push for Birds if you have the chance. I am gonna try and set up a Date to get up there in the next two to three weeks.. Chris think you could make that happen???

Latest posts