• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite overall plastics?

mk.ultra

Birdie Member
[I know there have been many threads like this in the past but they are archived and cannot be posted in.]

What plastics have you tried and which are your overall favorites?

Me:
VIP - Just got a Boatman, new favorite plastic
GStar - Love it for muh Teebirds
Star - Great durability but a little stiff
Champ - " "
DX - Doesn't last nearly long enough
Z - Great overall
Opto Line - Love it

Depends on weather...

Hot and humid: Proton or champion type plastic
Comfortable and cool: Neutron or star type
Cold: Plasma or GStar type
Cold and wet: Electron or base type

Reptilian Disc Golf: Any. /thread

RDG:
Fossil: Firm. Molds up VERY flat and tight. Grabs chains like no other. Tacky, almost chalky feel. Wears in MUCH slower than any other baseline I've ever seen. Great stuff.
Fossil Fuel: All the same great attributes, but with a little more flex and a little more talc.
Armor: Gets a little domey at times, but it is GORGEOUS premium plastic. Similar to a grippier Star, but NOT floppy like G-Star. Takes a beating and takes ages to season. I believe based off Gateway HPP, but definitely doesn't feel the same.
Tar Pit: The epitome of perfection. Molds up with a firm wing and shoulder, but retains some pliability in the flight plate. Excellent grip in all conditions and temperatures, silky smooth, yet still tacky grip. Perfection.

Prodigy:
400S: Great feeling Champ Style plastic. Wears slower than any Innova or Trilogy equivalent. Holds it's stability for a very long time once seasoned.
750: Firm Star. That's all I can say. It's AMAZINGLY durable, has excellent grip, is firm but retains some give (if that makes sense) Just another great entry from Prodigy.
400G: What G* was supposed to be. Gummy grip, but not rubbery floppy. Just beautiful soft, grippy, premium plastic. Exxxxcellent.

Innova/Discmania:
Star/S-Line: Great feel for drivers, plus, who doesn't like swirls? ;)

Trilogy:
Elasto/Frost/Fluid is the only plastic that has gained my attention as anything different than your standard premium plastics. I do really enjoy that blend, but I'm not a huge Trilogy guy.

Those are my favorites/all I bag.

My 2¢

I've tried a ton of plastics. These are my favorites in each disc class.

Drivers
S-Line from the FR S-Line PD era - Grippy, firm, seasons to feel incredible (but never gets super soft), and much more durable than anything on the market today

Mids
Firm, matte KC Pro - plus-y rims or not, the recent run Rocs in this plastic are incredible

Throwing putters
Glo Z - Discraft's plastic from the original Glo Z Zones

Putters
Re-release G9i - The early runs before Dave started messing with the blend to prevent chipping

[I know there have been many threads like this in the past but they are archived and cannot be posted in.]

What plastics have you tried and which are your overall favorites?

Me:
VIP - Just got a Boatman, new favorite plastic
GStar - Love it for muh Teebirds
Star - Great durability but a little stiff
Champ - " "
DX - Doesn't last nearly long enough
Z - Great overall
Opto Line - Love it

I use all Champ, except for my Buzzz. Also, just got a River Opto Line in the mail last night. I am throwing it for the first time today after work. Nice to see that you love it; hoping that I will as well:)

I've tried a lot of different plastics, and my faves are generally as follows:

OS to Stable drivers/mids: Champ or similar
Stable to US drivers/mids: Star or similar
Putters: Modern JK Pro - Grippy, Flexible, and Delicious!

Also, always bag something made out of super mega soft rubber (e.g. blowfly).

Worst ever plastic: GStar. I got some right when it came out. First rainy round, I realized that my grippiest driver had suddenly become my slipperiest driver. When it slipped out of my grip early and flew off a giant cliff, I wasn't that pissed about losing it. Just pissed about the lost disc penalty and re-tee throw.

Drivers - grippy goldline. I wish I could get all my drivers in this plastic. not sure about the durability yet though.

Midranges - I would have said dx for rocs before, but now I'd say gravity is my favorite for ghosts.

Putters - prime. best blend of base plastic (not counting gateway since they are the masters of base plastic and variations) and stays grippy when wet.

RDG Fossil is the best baseline I have tried followed by RDG Tarpit. The new OG S Scale I got in feels pretty sweet too.

For premium, I love Legacy Legend and Daredevil Flex/RDG ArmorFlex.

I like old school Star, pearly Champ, old school Elite Z, early Opto, and CryZtal. Basically, I like premium plastics that actually have that premium plastic durability. Which are becoming increasingly hard to find nowadays...

Drivers: I have always preferred opaque, grippy champ-style plastic. So basically modern equivalents to mid/late-run CE.

Legacy Pinnacle, Prodigy 400s and 750. Pearly Innova Champion.

Midranges: Mid-level plastic, something that will beat in over time and maintain good grip while wet.

Innova KC Pro or Legacy Protege. Really like the feel of Prodigy 350g but haven't tried it in a mid.

Putters: Base plastic. I've been putting with S Wizards for years, I generally gravitate towards firmer discs with a smooth feel and good grip when wet.

Gateway Soft S, RDG Fossil

Fossil/Fossil Fuel

Gateway Sure Grip, not a fan of their SSS and such

Innova DX, I know I might get burned for that, but after years of not throwing it, I'm loving it

Pretty much have an all baseline plastic bag by choice

Legend and gummy pinnacle.

Prime is the best and cheapest baseline plastic being made.

Drivers: Ultrium

Mids: XG or equivalent gummy champ type platics

Putters: Millennium soft base plastic/vibram medium.

Opto Line- A plastic that makes a delicious slightly flexible and durable plastic

400g- Like a Grippy Champion plastic, never gets too gummy or two firm.

SSS- Slightly Floppy and really grippy no matter the weather

Gold Line/Fuzion
Star
Titanium (wish this stuff came in brighter colors)
Champion
Opto

McPro - putting and mid favorite
Classic/Zero Hard - putting favorite
DX
Pro-D

I'm sure there's some good ones not mentioned because I haven't used them, as well.

From reading this thread, I guess I'll need to try some 400g plastic, but I think my favorite so far is the 350rx proto. Wishe I'd found it earlier as it's hard to find now.

Latest posts