• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Temp Course?

Loved Rock Creek in Burlington, NC that was used in 2013 for the Tim Selinske US Masters.

One of our clubs set up a sick design at Shawnee Park (a ball golf course) for this year's ice bowl. While I thought that playing on an open course would be boring, the designers had used water, sand traps, elevation changes, and guardian trees to make it a challenging day. I just managed to shoot an even round and felt pretty good about it...

Dynamic Dics AT&T stadium experience 10 hole course. Wish I could play it again this year, but I will be in San Diego for a wedding.

Tarwater outside of La Honda, Ca. 27 holes of ridiculously epic disc golf.

Indian Rock Park AKA 'THE ROCK' in Salina, KS

We only get to play it once a year which sucks. This seems like the only course in Kansas with legitimate elevation.

Rock creek. Rip. Many honorable mentions.

Thirded. There is always a smidgen of a rumor that it might become permanent. The latest spark for the rumor is due to the park acquiring a lot of land (the land on the right as you enter the park) where there is plans for an equestrian center (and moving of horse trails) and a beginner friendly 9-holer. Moving the horse trails away might allow for a redesigned Rock Creek but I'm not sure if the holes along the creek through the campgrounds would survive.

I have played them and would put them in the same order as Mark...
2013 Canyon
1999 Toboggan
2014-15 Canyon

I suspect the Toboggan is considerably less interesting now with the rough removed but have not played it to be able to judge.
I'd have to agree it's less interesting with tons less rough. Makes for a more fun casual round for lower rated players like me, but I think the nasty, unforgiving rough made for a more interesting tournament. Funny thing is that a some people found themselves scoring higher because they thought they could really let rip with relative impunity, only to find themselves in more trouble than they would have with a more conservative shot in its pre-thinned out state.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed playing Genesee Valley Park during 2011 Am Worlds in Rochester. Beautiful Park. With all the people in the park, I understand why the course was pulled. During the final round on Saturday, they had a kids triathlon in the park. At one point, we had to wait for 400 kids to pass by on their bicycles.

I really enjoyed playing Genesee Valley Park during 2011 Am Worlds in Rochester. Beautiful Park. With all the people in the park, I understand why the course was pulled. During the final round on Saturday, they had a kids triathlon in the park. At one point, we had to wait for 400 kids to pass by on their bicycles.

If you are up for another trip - genesee valley course is on the list for this year's RFDO. :)

When we played there for pro worlds in 99 a windshield got broken on a passing car. Too much non-dg activity for a permanent course there imo.

Hampton Park in Charleston SC for the Charleston Classic. Doesn't get much more beautiful. It's almost entirely flat, but the park is gorgeous and some really fun shots.

Crucible, Athens GA. This is one of the best designs for a disc golf course you could hope for. Rolling hills, great use of the elevation and land, great blend of open and wooded, marvelous.

To answer the posed question, I quite like the Toboggan; Forest Hills in Durham, NC; and Winthrop Gold.

To promote a potential temp course development, I am hoping to have a new one for all of you to play here in southern Virginia. Private school campus, possible layouts varying from 6000-9000 feet, rolling hills and sparse trees with moderate elevation changes. Probably only open summer, Thanksgiving, and Christmas and Spring Breaks when the students wouldn't be here. I'll keep you posted. :)

After playing the Crucible over the past few days, it took the top spot on my list from Hampton Park. Hampton has the water shots but no elevation, Crucible has the elevation and distance but no water.

Hampton Park in Charleston SC for the Charleston Classic. Doesn't get much more beautiful. It's almost entirely flat, but the park is gorgeous and some really fun shots.

Crucible, Athens GA. This is one of the best designs for a disc golf course you could hope for. Rolling hills, great use of the elevation and land, great blend of open and wooded, marvelous.

6 months later and the same answers ;)