• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite type of course?

swellerdiscgolf

Birdie Member
What type of course would you prefer to play and why?

1. 280' holes, tightly wooded, precission shots

2. 420' holes, somewhat open, well placed trees and pins

or

3. 600' bombs, wide open, but well placed pins

I like option 2, because it would require some power and some precision but not overly boring looking at the same type of holes over and over.

I don't really like any of these options. I'd rather play a mixed course. I fear I'd get frustrated on a tight, short course, and I fear I'd get bored or wear my arm out on a big, open, long course. I know that doesn't answer the question, but I don't really like the sound of any of those courses. I suppose if I had to choose, I'd choose Option 1, since the others sound pretty darn difficult.

Milo McIver has all three of those.

Shortest hole is a challenging 180' with thick trees and a dog-leg. Longest hole is a 1400' par 5 with an 80 degree dog-leg right, and a river along the fairway the whole way down the to the basket.

A mix of all would be best, but if forced to pick one, I'd go with the short and technical option. I love holes like that (as do my Rocs), and I could play an entire course like that as long as there's some variation from hole to hole. My old home course in Cedar Hill, TX (Lorch Park - Coyote Course) is mostly comprised of holes in that range and its a blast to play.

i'd say option 2 - any mix of open fairways & woods (70/30 would be my preference)

since i'm new - its tough to play 18 holes in the woods - especially long tight wooded holes. its very hard to throw long controlled drives in the woods so a 4 seems like a stretch. There is a Course near me that's 99% wooded and i should probably play with 1 midrange disc the whole time.

basically any type of course where you can use all/most of your discs - long open holes and shorter finesse wooded holes and heck throw in some tough long wooded holes for good measure. Always should be some very hard holes.

If I HAD to choose just one, I'd choose the technical, however, the shorter finesse holes are my strength <my home course is very technical>. However, I am with most, in that I do enjoy playing a full course that does have a good mix of some open, and technical holes mixed through the course. My preferance a course that has about 60-70% technical, then the rest fairly open/long.

my ultimate course would have all three of these types present. but if i had to pick my favorite it would have to be option #1. a powerful drive is definitely good to have and needed for a good score on those long holes. but i believe that finesse and technique are worth more than what can be measured in distance.

I agree that the best courses have a mix of those three. My favorites are closer to #2, though. I like the park-like settings where you have to make shots around trees, but don't have to worry about losing discs or looking through schule.

my ultimate course would have all three of these types present. but if i had to pick my favorite it would have to be option #1. a powerful drive is definitely good to have and needed for a good score on those long holes. but i believe that finesse and technique are worth more than what can be measured in distance.

Can I get an AMEN!!!!!....:D
As an Adv. Master player I see these younger guys talking about how they can 3 these 700+ft holes that are soooo wide open, and how easy they are...blah blah...then they play a tight technical course, or even section on a course that are under 300' holes, and they take 4's or more. Disc golf <at least here in the Carolinas> is not just about grip and rip, it's about being finesse as well. To be truly well rounded, you need to be able to hold your own at each of the choices above. I have trouble holding up at true grip and rip courses because I'm not a long-arm thrower, but there are few and far between courses around that are that way in my area. And at most, how many strokes are you going to lose to a player on that type of course. Just a few, how many can you GAIN on a tight one???:p

Short and technical will make you a better golfer, but if I'm just playing a round with some friends, I'd go option 2. I Iike many mature trees over a forest of saplings with five foot gaps. If the place has got 12' wide fairways, I'm all for it, but I've seen too many holes with just an opening of a couple feet.

I like a mixture but long open holes are just boring. The short finesse course is better than long and open in general. The overall course design and flow and the uniqueness of holes are what make a course great.

I think I would have to go with option number one. I am horrible at distance, but find I can do quite well on a tight, wooded, and technical courses. There is just something about having to take a little time to prepare your shot, than just hucking the living crap out of it across some open field.

Cast my vote for #2.

ERic

Short and technical

I am a big fan of the short and technical and call me crazy but i like par 3 courses, i've played a bunch of course that i just get tired of playing half way through because the holes are just to long. The key to woods courses though is that well defined fairway/route. plinko holes should not be every hole. You have to be rewarded for throwing were your suppose to not get rewarded for getting luck and some how making it threw a mass of trees, because if you don't throw were your suppose to your going to get punished and thats the point. so ya option 1 please.

The key to woods courses though is that well defined fairway/route. plinko holes should not be every hole. You have to be rewarded for throwing were your suppose to not get rewarded for getting luck and some how making it threw a mass of trees, because if you don't throw were your suppose to your going to get punished and thats the point. so ya option 1 please.

While I would prefer option 2, I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement. Those "plinko" types of holes can be very frustrating, especially for newer players. I am not a big fan of luck being a major factor in acheiving a decent score myself. I find it difficult enough relying on my own abilities.

There's just something special about playing a park-like course with strategically placed, mature trees to be navigated. Almost makes it seem as if the chunk of land was destined to be a disc golf course!

Good thread.

I'm not really fond of tightly wooded courses. I prefer courses with strategically placed trees like Kereiakes. as for distance I like a mix because I like ace runs.

I'd have to say #2 but with a liberal sprinkling of wooded holes. 40-50% actually. I love moderately open holes with copses of trees you have to navigate and with which the baskets are hidden.

I am with the "mixed" contingent. Of the options presented, I would go with #1. I would much rather play for finesse than distance.