• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favourite / Most Beautiful Course Features

What are some of your favourite, or the most beautiful, features you have seen on a course? Obviously the scenery is the main factor, so I am talking things that have been added to the course to make it more attractive, most useful, more unique etc.

I have played a couple of courses with individual holes that have a unique basket design. The most memorable one was probably this "lighthouse basket" at Silver Creek Park in Manitowoc, WI. Raised baskets, when not present in excess on a course, are fun. Special baskets like this are even better. :) Especially when they make sense given the theme/location of the course (in this case, right on Lake Michigan).

Attachments

• silver creek lighthouse basket.jpg
    silver creek lighthouse basket.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 39
There's a local course, Bond Lake, that I believe is on the Niagara Escarpment. The vistas and elevation changes are pretty dramatic, and it features one longer trek between holes that has some nice views. I feel like being on top of this geographic feature is both beautiful and interesting from a geologic perspective. At my age, a round leaves me pretty spent, and I recall my 20s and 30s spend backpacking around the Southwest.

Casey Logan DGC located on the Outer Banks of North Carolina has a variety of items to increase the fun factor. #16 the only elevated and beach sand hole has a car buried in the fairway, almost completely submerged and disintegrated, and a hole favorite of many. There are useful distance markers to the short baskets, and last year newly installed footbridges over the swamp fairways to keep feet dry and attractive feature on the fairway. There are fun signs for naming holes such as the Window for a crooked tree guarding a basket, Jakes tree on a hole and the three stooges for a trio of trees on another hole, Stink's Crossing for a foot bridge on a swamp hole, and Tunnel of Death for a very narrow fairway.

Casey Logan, I have ranked 5th on my favorites very heavily wooded with narrow gaps, and heavily guardian trees. The course has had the most upgraded work that I keep on a rotation and is still being stretched out, new paver tees and maybe completed by end of the year with the new tee signs? I've already have made the 90-minute trip twice this year, and between the past 4 visits the most dramatic changes that had me smh.

I have played a couple of courses with individual holes that have a unique basket design. The most memorable one was probably this "lighthouse basket" at Silver Creek Park in Manitowoc, WI. Raised baskets, when not present in excess on a course, are fun. Special baskets like this are even better. :) Especially when they make sense given the theme/location of the course (in this case, right on Lake Michigan).

that hole looked beautiful as well in the winter with the ice formations on the edge of lake michigan

such a fun and beautiful course

the lighthouse fit perfectly and has been a dg highlight for me as well

I really like natural items used to improve the course. Stone retaining walls to help with drainage or erosion. Log tee pad reinforcements. Natural log benches. It helps maintain the feeling of immersion into nature. Nature and being outside is an important therapeutic part of the game for me.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Whiskey_Creek_Campground/Whiskey_Hills/Hole_2/63665

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Whiskey_Creek_Campground/Whiskey_Hills/Hole_16/95839

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Whiskey_Creek_Campground/Whiskey_Hills/Hole_1/75216

Sugaree has the most scenic greens I've seen. Highbridge has views for days. Paw paw is unreal for flat landers like me. Mt. McSauba is spectacular. Makoshika and Diamond X are about the most out of this world places I've been to, much less thrown frisbees at. So many fantastic ones.

That lighthouse basket is amazing though. Such a fun course.

Sugaree has the most scenic greens I've seen. Highbridge has views for days. Paw paw is unreal for flat landers like me. Mt. McSauba is spectacular. Makoshika and Diamond X are about the most out of this world places I've been to, much less thrown frisbees at. So many fantastic ones.

That lighthouse basket is amazing though. Such a fun course.

****Jake needs to get out more :p ****

Prettiest view I've come across is when the college kids are at the beach at wakanda lol

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of art installation on courses. In Durham NC, Cornwallis has a heron sculpture done in metal that sits atop a large tree stump that used to guard a line to the basket. Valley Springs has a sort of carved totem topped tree trunk that seems to have been installed to replace a tree that split a gap into two very narrow windows off one of the tees.

I also like courses that incorporate more industrial elements, but in an organic or aesthetic fashion. Glenburnie Park in New Bern sits alongside the river, and one of the wholes has a 50 ton channel marker, presumably taken from that river, sitting in the middle of the fairway as a blocker.

I know I've taken pictures of those other two, but can't locate them at the moment. Here is the heron.

dcba2eef.jpg

I like well designed and manicured greens--where you feel like you are someplace different than the rest of the hole (thinking about a few at Idlewild here). Terraced out features are nice.
I like views which highlight the natural surroundings, whatever they are. Love holes which go into/out of woods, because both the woods and surrounding fields/whatever can be seen, plus they usually present an additional challenge. Anything with views of distance water/mountains, etc, which of course is not always possible. Manicured fairways and thinned out rough is also nice to me, as I feel I am playing somewhere dedicated to disc golf, not just throwing at random baskets in the woods. If I want real rustic I can always just go hiking. Mulch in general can greatly improve almost any course, understanding it is expensive and needs to be replaced periodically. But you asked what I like. :)

What nothingbuttree said, but some notables:

*The long footbridge on #17 at Hobbs Farm, with intermediate /advanced throwing platforms over the swamp
*At Blue Angel--Palmetto, the art installations, Dutch bell, crab-boiling shack, and functional outdoor shower
*The mountain views at Zephyr Cove and North Bonneville
*Playing among the giant Douglas firs at Pier Park and the redwoods at Black Mouse
*The narrow but deep, lush ravines at Wilder
*Ocean views at the Columbia Shore course in Astoria OR
*#9 basket on a bluff directly above the Rogue River at Whistlers Bend
*Giant sundial on #13 at Ann Morrison (one of several holes now lost to the dog park)

I know there's more, but these come to mind the easiest.

Last edited:
Nothing better than seeing an unusually shaped tree or branch used to shape the fairway/tunnel, provide a gap etc. The live oaks in the south, for example, can have those huge twisty branches that can create a beautiful arch or even a straight line across a fairway that forces an over or under shot choice.

I really like natural items used to improve the course. Stone retaining walls to help with drainage or erosion. Log tee pad reinforcements. Natural log benches. It helps maintain the feeling of immersion into nature. Nature and being outside is an important therapeutic part of the game for me.

100% agree! And I also liked those features at Whiskey Creek in particular. :)

Another cool man-made touch I just recalled and wanted to share. This is at Calumet Lake DGC in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The designer added these fun, beautifully painted wooden signs next to several of the tees that list the mileage to famous other disc golf courses. What a great way to make a hole that isn't particularly memorable, a little more so!

Attachments

• calumet lake tee.jpg
    calumet lake tee.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 24
For me it's Dexter DGC near Lowell, OR. The many holes thru tunnels of trees covered in lichen and moss, or overlooking a reservoir ringed with mountains has got my vote for most beautiful course features I've come across. If you get the chance to go, do it!

One feature I have seen at 2 dg courses, Rosedale park here in KC and Centennial Park in OK, are pavers buried around the practice basket to mark different distances from the basket. They spiral down from maybe 15 Meters to probably 5 meters. It seems to be a easy and cheap feature added to a course.

PS. For all you hoopsters that played around the world this game is as fun also when putting with friends.

One feature I have seen at 2 dg courses, Rosedale park here in KC and Centennial Park in OK, are pavers buried around the practice basket to mark different distances from the basket. They spiral down from maybe 15 Meters to probably 5 meters. It seems to be a easy and cheap feature added to a course.

PS. For all you hoopsters that played around the world this game is as fun also when putting with friends.

first place i ever saw the broken disc memorial was in kc

cant remember which course tho

Latest posts