• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Fckunig Ptteurs

With all due respect to the very good advice to practice, the OP is still looking for the putter that best fits him. Sure he (and/or we) could practice until the cows come home, but what is being asked for is ideas for which putter is going to be the one the OP commits to and practices with. Of course the OP will have to make that decision, but throwing out some ideas based upon experience of the criteria the OP listed would be helpful.

If you like the hand feel of the Judge then that's still a good bet. It's very comfy and very neutral for being beaded.

A little stiffer but still with a potentially tacky grip, depending on plastic, is the Wizard....with the caveat that they are more stable than the Judge when new. Find some in a used bin and they'll already be worked in for you and have a good grip.

However if your putter is fading too much when in close then I would suggest to make sure you're putting the nose down a bit more. Although nose up can help get a little more glide, a slightly nose up spush putt will definitely fall left soon. I feel you need to be neutral to slightly nose down on a spush putt to get it to carry straight until it hits the basket or the ground.

You can also try something like an unbeaded Aviar/classic Aviar to get a benchmark for yourself...they are cheap and readily available. They are very neutral and have good glide, at the cost of no bead and being deeper than the Judge. Even if it's not your ideal hand feel you'll see then if it's you or the disc.

...I'd love a bead and prefer it to be hardish and tackyish.

XT Bullfrogs are hard and tacky when new (although that wears out quickly unless you wash them). They have a microbead if that's enough to fill your bead requirement.

I don't putt with them anymore, but still carry a Bullfrog as a straight throwing putter.

With all due respect to the very good advice to practice, the OP is still looking for the putter that best fits him. Sure he (and/or we) could practice until the cows come home, but what is being asked for is ideas for which putter is going to be the one the OP commits to and practices with. Of course the OP will have to make that decision, but throwing out some ideas based upon experience of the criteria the OP listed would be helpful.

So he can buy more putters and continue to putt low and short because he should be practicing instead of purchasing? I get your point, but the suggestion to practice is as viable of an option as pissing away some of his money for a new mold that will continue to come up short and/or low.

As a reformed cage-hitting, frustrated putter person I would second the practice suggestions. Spent last winter/spring working on changing or tweaking my release. For me it was changing the release point to a higher point with a more nose down putt. Before I felt like I was often releasing it too low and giving it almost zero chance of clearing the cage. Just bringing it up a bit from say stomach level to chest level has greatly reduced my cage hits. A frustrating process at first but now my putting is better and making a lot more on the course.

Generally speaking, inside the circle it is mostly a confidence and technique thing more so than a putter mold thing. Find whatever putter feels great in your hand which helps with the confidence. Then dedicate some time to figuring out the technique side. Best of luck!

So he can buy more putters and continue to putt low and short because he should be practicing instead of purchasing? I get your point, but the suggestion to practice is as viable of an option as pissing away some of his money for a new mold that will continue to come up short and/or low.

As a clarification: when I got into DG, I started with Aviar P&As. I practiced a lot, worked on my putting form and style... and remained uncomfortable and unhappy with my putting. So I tried the Judge, the Warden, and even the Wizard. The Wizard hit the cage a lot, and I did better with the Warden, so it won.

When I changed my putting style to more of a spin putt, I went to the beaded Marshal over the unbeaded Warden when the Marshal came out in Classic plastic. I also re-tried the Wizard, and had the same problem with it as before: I hit the cage a lot. The reason was because I was used to the slightly higher glide of the Judge, Warden, Deputy, and Marshal. I could practice with the Wizard forever and made it work, but the Marshal was a better fit for my putting style, and I've gone with it and been happy with it.

So that is the basis of what I posted: to make sure one knows what will fit one's putting style instead of trying to force the issue with a less-fitting putter. Practice does not make perfect; only permanent. Practice is great, but one has to practice with the right tool, or the practice is wasted.

TL;DR: Don't put the cart before the horse.

As a clarification: when I got into DG, I started with Aviar P&As. I practiced a lot, worked on my putting form and style... and remained uncomfortable and unhappy with my putting. So I tried the Judge, the Warden, and even the Wizard. The Wizard hit the cage a lot, and I did better with the Warden, so it won.

When I changed my putting style to more of a spin putt, I went to the beaded Marshal over the unbeaded Warden when the Marshal came out in Classic plastic. I also re-tried the Wizard, and had the same problem with it as before: I hit the cage a lot. The reason was because I was used to the slightly higher glide of the Judge, Warden, Deputy, and Marshal. I could practice with the Wizard forever and made it work, but the Marshal was a better fit for my putting style, and I've gone with it and been happy with it.

So that is the basis of what I posted: to make sure one knows what will fit one's putting style instead of trying to force the issue with a less-fitting putter. Practice does not make perfect; only permanent. Practice is great, but one has to practice with the right tool, or the practice is wasted.

TL;DR: Don't put the cart before the horse.

Practice brings confidence. It's severely underrated in putting. You can't make it if you fear the comeback. I've putted the same mold for close to a decade though. I tried a lot and knew when I found it. Even when I was trying a bunch confidence was my biggest killer. How do I know that? They go in inside the circle now...in practice.

TL;DR: If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with

(Just being a smartass. I recognize we won't agree on this like everything else.)

Colt or voodoo
Doesn't seem to be much love for the Colt but they are a money understable touch disc

Thanks for the great advice. I should have made the clarification of distance. I understand practice, practice practice but as SD said I'm looking for something that will suit my style differently than what I have. I will most likely still use my kc pros to 25-30ft but beyond is where I'm looking for suggestions....

Thanks for the great advice. I should have made the clarification of distance. I understand practice, practice practice but as SD said I'm looking for something that will suit my style differently than what I have. I will most likely still use my kc pros to 25-30ft but beyond is where I'm looking for suggestions....

If you generally like the feel of the KC, beat one in to straight or even understable or try a Yeti. The Yeti isn't as stable as a KC and has a tackier feel.

I get that its the archer not the arrow but sometimes confidence happens with a better arrow. My first putter was a dart, I couldn't hit anything with it. I then bought a dx Aviar and 2 prime Wardens. My putting immediately improved. 3 similar molds made practicing better. A few months later, I bought a used Bt Hard Maiden. Over 20 rounds or so, it slowly beat out the Aviar and I now I can make longer putts that used to be impossible for me. Was the problem the arrow? Probably not. But for some reason the new disc helped me change my mind set.

By my suggestion is the Bt Hard Maiden. Its been a fantastic putter and I just discovered I can forehand it. Something I could never do with an Aviar. Its been a game changer for me. I haven't tried the other plastics so not sure how those are.

But really, you just need to putt harder.

This isn't really great advice either. Anectdotally, when I try putting harder my putt comes out flatter, and I miss low far too often.

Most putters will be straight enough inside the circle. Outside the circle are mostly bonus putts (unless you're at the very top of the game), and it's just a matter of learning longer putts - either the difference in longer flight or switching stance/style outside of a certain range.

Most putters will be straight enough inside the circle. Outside the circle are mostly bonus putts (unless you're at the very top of the game), and it's just a matter of learning longer putts - either the difference in longer flight or switching stance/style outside of a certain range.
This.

I think we make waaayyy too much out of putting putters. I've always picked a putter based on it being a driving putter, and whatever my driving putter is I putt with. You can putt with any putter. Inside the circle they all more or less do the same things, with slight alterations (for me mostly how high I aim) I can putt inside the circle with any putter.

Why not try a light weight KC Pro Aviar for your long putts, something in the 150-160 gram range.

This.

I think we make waaayyy too much out of putting putters. I've always picked a putter based on it being a driving putter, and whatever my driving putter is I putt with. You can putt with any putter. Inside the circle they all more or less do the same things, with slight alterations (for me mostly how high I aim) I can putt inside the circle with any putter.

Wise words.

Wait...putter advice from...username...Three Putt?

:D :D :D

But seriously, on the subject of putters, I like to pick a mold that can do a little bit of everything. Carry a couple for putting, one or two for driving/upshots, and then if I really need a utility putter or two of a different mold then carry those. But it all starts with the main mold. Upside is that when your throwers get beat enough, then they can serve as your less stable/glidey long range putter if you need that. Since they are the same mold they have the same feel in hand as your main putters. So then it comes back to what feels comfortable in your hands.

I get that its the archer not the arrow but sometimes confidence happens with a better arrow. My first putter was a dart, I couldn't hit anything with it. I then bought a dx Aviar and 2 prime Wardens. My putting immediately improved. 3 similar molds made practicing better.

To be fair, a Dart is pretty unique compared to most putters. Both in hand feel, and how floaty and undestable they can be. I agree that I would have less confidence of myself on release, and less confidence in hand feel in putting with something like the Dart all the time.

If your benchmark is an Aviar instead, then most other putters are small variations on that. So I have no doubt that moving to Aviars/Wardens was a big change and likely very positive. And any change after being used to those, is likely just fine tuning what you prefer.

Of course then there's also the class of shallower putters that are on the opposite side of the Aviar from the Dart, that tend to do better for more aggressive spin putters.

A Magnet does not really have a bead, just a super micro one. The bead feel is in the concave wing shape. Don't like the plastic for the Disc, get a Clutch as those come in just about every plastic that Legacy makes.

Latest posts