• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] FD2

Closest thing to a 2nd run FD is a teebird imo.

I agree for the most part. The closest I have thrown was a strangly beefy Leo3. I got about 10 throws on it but never was able to get it to act understable. Tons of glide though. Like a teebird with a tick more glide.

Check the Discmania FB page for talk about the reinvented FD2. The old mold going OOP, but the new is as close to 2nd run FD as they have ever gotten, they say.
Close in flight, but guessing not in plastic.

One of a few signature features of the 2nd run FD's is the nearly indestructible plastic they molded up in. The plastic is also the reason I think the 2nd runs are so OS. If you look at the 3rd run PD's and 2nd run FD's, which were released around the same time frame, they're basically identical in their characteristics... OS, stiff, flat, bubbles in the rim (which I assume to be a weight reduction to counter the density of the plastic), and slightly pearly. Even though I have a modest stack of 2nd runs in storage, I've never had to reach for another one outside of my original thrower. It's been in the bag for years now and is only slightly less stable than the day it started out. Same goes for my 3rd run PD (even though I'm no longer throwing PD's). And although I know plastic types come and go, my disc golf conspiracy theorist mind says Innova/DM bailed on that plastic as soon as they could because discs just wouldn't wear out!! :D

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the new runs compare, if there continues to be a collectors market for the 2nd runs, and if the market demand will now switch over to the old mold FD2's, which I happen to like in that tweener long mid/short fairway OS slot. Time to hoard. Again. :|

Am i the only one who didn't care for the stiff second runpladyic? Indestructible yes but i just didn't like the feel of it.

Any chance the OG fd2 gets retooled and becomes an fdx? Maybe something slow and whippetesque?

Sooo the retooled fd2 will be 8-4-0-2 with teebird rim and flat top. Wondering how/if this will be any different than tb3 ...

Wondering how/if this will be any different than tb3 ...
In my limited experience with tossing the tb3 it has a slight bit of turn at high speed.* 2nd run FD's are dead nuts straight at high speed...* if they're TRULY trying to replicate that run.

* - Obviously YMMV

In my limited experience with tossing the tb3 it has a slight bit of turn at high speed.* 2nd run FD's are dead nuts straight at high speed...* if they're TRULY trying to replicate that run.

* - Obviously YMMV

Yeah true, and the 2nd run feels absolutely beautiful on the hand whereas the tb3 is "sharper". In My experience The star tb3 is slightly more stable/overstable compared to the mf/champion and obviously gstar.