• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

February 2014: Sugar Grove/Boone, NC

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Quarterly trip already in the works. Though Charlotte is "the Mecca" for the state I currently call home (hope I can still say "Mecca" without getting the kai-bosh), Black Jack DGC with its cabin amenities close is just too good to pass up. Especially since one of my disc golfing buddies will be transferring to Washington state shortly after. Don't think we're not eventually hitting Charlotte though. Gotta play the Hornets Nest a few times before I die.

Anyway, my question is to locals and those who've played it. Is it worth the six-hour drive from Wilmington? Based on the reviews and the pics it certainly looks like it is. Are there any others in the area we need to check out while we're there? And honestly, if anyone wants to join us we'd love to meet up!

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Worth it, for sure. Publics worth checking out ~ in the area are Ashe Co and Highland Hills.

I can't speak for Black Jack---both my opportunities to play it fell through---but in the area, Ashe County is a can't-miss course.

yes go there, you'll definitely end up wanting to play it twice so you can get in both layouts. my advice for black jack is bring a small bag and a water bottle. if you bring your full bag you'll probably end up regretting it after hole 3.

when i was up there in the summer elk mountain was closed but it might be back open now. i'd hit them up and see what the deal is. ashe co. is the best public course in the area, it's definitely worth it as well.

if you really want to make it epic and have the time and willpower drive over to TN and play harmon hills and warriors path. i didn't have time to play warriors path but harmon hills is phenomenal.

Course is SICK. totally worth it. but in Feb...its gonna be cold bro.