• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FH Grip: To wedge or not to wedge?

papamullins

Birdie Member
Not sure if it matters, but my hands are larger than most, and I haven't notice hand size brought up when reading about the variations in grips.

Because of having larger hands, I can actually fit quite a bit of disc in my hand when FH grip and "wedging" (see frontwedge.jpg) the disc between my thumb and pointer finger, all the way to the back of the crease. It seems like I have OAT when I use this grip, especially with mids.

The nowedge.jpg shows how I would typically hold the disc - it lies just in front of my first knuckle, not wedged back in the crease between thumb and pointer finger.

I ask which is correct because if I'm doing it wrong (having the disc sit just in front of my knuckle and not wedged in) then obviously I'd like to start doing it correctly, and if having the disc rest that far back in your hand is correct, how to get rid of the OAT? The disc just doesn't feel like it releases clean. Is it because of having large hands with more meat getting in the way?

Attachments

• frontwedge.jpg
    frontwedge.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 38
  • frontnowedge.jpg
    frontnowedge.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 32
  • sidewedge.jpg
    sidewedge.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 29
Not to wedge. I use this grip and have rather large hands.
2dt0t9k.jpg

o0wcgo.jpg

I can palm a basketball, and when I throw forehand, the edge of the rim sits like your second pic...not wedged into the crease.

What happens when I wedge it into the crease is that edge has to rub across that big bump where the finger meets the hand before it even gets to the positioning of the 2nd photo. This creates extra drag, and for me it causes the release to not be clean.

It really depends on the shot, but generally for distance the disc is wedged. If I need more finesse or if I'm using a mid or putter, it is not wedged. Don't know if it matters but I use the split-finger sidearm grip for all FH shots.

It really depends on the shot, but generally for distance the disc is wedged. If I need more finesse or if I'm using a mid or putter, it is not wedged. Don't know if it matters but I use the split-finger sidearm grip for all FH shots.

QFT.

I am a 'wedger' (slightly above average size hands). Nearly all FH info I have seen advises you to do it this way.

I can palm a basketball, and when I throw forehand, the edge of the rim sits like your second pic...not wedged into the crease.

What happens when I wedge it into the crease is that edge has to rub across that big bump where the finger meets the hand before it even gets to the positioning of the 2nd photo. This creates extra drag, and for me it causes the release to not be clean.

This. Wedging it just creates more area where the disc slides before it ejects. Those who gain more distance from wedging it probably just have a bad grip on it otherwise or are using the non-clean release to get oat on a super fast disc.

Watch as he talks about grip starting at 3:03, he does not have the disc wedged.

5cahcm.png

Last edited:
I mainly throw fh, peace sign grip, i normally have the rim of the disc directly on top of the first knuckle of my index finger.............if it's wedged all the way into my hand then i roll my wrist for whatever reason.

There's still plenty of flesh on his disc. If you're throwing for distance and using a lot of power, not having the disc in nice and tight will cause release problems.

THIS.

If palming a basketball is our new unit of measurement, I'm in the same boat. When the disc is wedged in, it hits the soft skin in the crease which seems to be the cause of OAT.

So I ask this - if wedging the disc is correct for distance, how do you have a clean release without the disc getting caught on skin?

So I ask this - if wedging the disc is correct for distance, how do you have a clean release without the disc getting caught on skin?

Personally, I use a split finger grip and that leaves a lot less of that bump to get caught on when throwing because it flattens that part of my hand a little more. My hands aren't very big, so this may not apply to people who can palm a Bball.

for rhfh i normally let the inside edge of the rim sit evenly above that small line where your finger connects to your palm. i feel like it lets my wrist snap and it allows me to kind of pull a trigger with my fingers getting more spin on the disc

Latest posts