• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fight to break 100'

Yeah stick to leightweight and understable for now.
Actually i would focus on the straight reach back. you more than anyone needs to be able to put some whip on that throw.

I can barely emagine how tricky it is to throw from a wheelchair but it will be essential that you get the basic upper body movements (watch videos of stand still throws) quite good. Are you turning away from target in your reach back?

Yeah stick to leightweight and understable for now.
Actually i would focus on the straight reach back. you more than anyone needs to be able to put some whip on that throw.

I can barely emagine how tricky it is to throw from a wheelchair but it will be essential that you get the basic upper body movements (watch videos of stand still throws) quite good. Are you turning away from target in your reach back?

Yes. That was the first thing I focused on because what from I've read, both on discgolfreview and around the Internet, turning away from your target allows for more rotational velocity to be transferred to the disc through the hit.

JBCHyzer,
Have you tried messing with forehand rollers?
This could very well be an option to break well past that 100' range.

The only disadvantage is when the grass is tall or if you spike into leaves where it will kind of burn out instead of catching traction.

Can you give us some description of how your positioned when you throw. Are you facing forward, sideways, 45 deg? Are you rotating/twisting your shoulders relative to your hips. Are you swinging your arm around or pulling into your chest then extending your elbow.

Also what kind of a grip are you using?

The more you can explain the better someone can suggest other things to try.

Absolutely. I start out facing 90* away from my targeted landing area (my wheelchair is oriented perpendicularly to the discs flight line - straight reach back).

I think I now need to focus to my weight transfer, because I know there's power there that, because of my seated position, is not being properly utilized! However, I still can get good rotational velocity and spin. My main grip for now is more a control grip. Sometimes, I'll experiment with a fan grip or power grip as well.

Absolutely. I start out facing 90* away from my targeted landing area (my wheelchair is oriented perpendicularly to the discs flight line - straight reach back).

I think I now need to focus to my weight transfer, because I know there's power there that, because of my seated position, is not being properly utilized! However, I still can get good rotational velocity and spin. My main grip for now is more a control grip. Sometimes, I'll experiment with a fan grip or power grip as well.
You'll ideally want to rotate your shoulders even further away from the target. If you are seated perpendicular to the flight line, then there is no way to reach back without hugging yourself, you would need to reach more "out". But if you can actually rotate your shoulders so that they are also perpendicular to the throw, then you give yourself space to actually reach back. Not sure if your mobility allows this, but if it doesn't you will want to reach more out such that the angle made by your upper arm and shoulders is always greater than 90.

You are making me want to experiment throwing from a chair to see what I can do.

UhhNegative,

How far would I ideally rotate my shoulders then - 90* or even more, say maybe, 100*

Don't get me wrong, I've got a pretty good idea of what the launch angle is ideally supposed to be (straight reach back, and pull through, followed by a wrist-neutral snap (neither wrist under or wrist over)). What's most challenging for me right now is, how to get a clean snap and hit along that ideal launch angle with my limited mobility.....

UhhNegative,

How far would I ideally rotate my shoulders then - 90* or even more, say maybe, 100*

Don't get me wrong, I've got a pretty good idea of what the launch angle is ideally supposed to be (straight reach back, and pull through, followed by a wrist-neutral snap (neither wrist under or wrist over)). What's most challenging for me right now is, how to get a clean snap and hit along that ideal launch angle with my limited mobility.....
Right, I understand that challenge. I read through this thread for a while just haven't posted until now. I have somewhat of my own challenge: I can't rotate my throwing wrist/elbow at all. It's not ideal but we work through with what we have, because that's all we can control.

Anyway, check this picture of Will Schusterick, one of the best throwers in the game, from overhead. He is throwing pretty much directly to the left of the screen. He gets his shoulders turned way back, looks like more than 90 degrees in this throw.
QqSq9j0.png

Obviously, you can see he has to turn his hips to reach this shoulder angle and not everyone is this flexible. But you can also see how the angle between his arm and his shoulders is 90 or greater. If it is any less than that, your body gets in the way between you and the disc. Another way to think about that is think "elbow forward".

I have a concern I wanted to voice. It's kind of been in the back of my head for a few days.

Those of us throwing from a standing position get to release a lot of the post-throw energy via rotation. We just keep turning. JBCHyzer, I'm concerned about the limit of motion you might experience at the end of your throw. I don't want you to jack up your elbow from a hard stop at the end of the shot.

I'm wondering if keeping one wheel unlocked and letting the chair turn to absorb that might work. Just a thought. And if I'm talking out my butt, then feel free to ignore.

Unfortunately the choices are not great, but probably doesn't matter much. If the chair wheels are not locked, it's likely to spin out counter productively. If you could put a pressure switch on the wheels to release the lock or maybe a manual switch, that would be ideal to allow a follow through after the release. BH is going to allow the greatest range of motion in the backswing and follow through, and have the greater distance potential.

I'm surprised this guy is throwing a Firebird, but he gets a great yank on it:

You got alot of distance in rotating you shoulders just alittle bit before you pull with your arm. With backhand i see no problem getting 200+.forehand with good form and angles 300ft.

Thanks for all the help. Still having off-axis torque issues, but at least now I know what is going wrong. Although I've seen only small distance increases because of this so far, all it really comes down to is me getting out of an open field and throwing a bit.

Latest posts