• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Final 9

I'm not sure how commonplace it is. Pretty rare around here (though we experimented and ran a Final-6 each of the last 2 years).

I think, in part, it's an attempt to coerce a gallery.

I think, in part, it's an attempt to coerce a gallery.

This, and it also builds in a distraction for players so that the TD and staff can check and sort scores, organize payouts, and otherwise set up the awards ceremony that will (hopefully) immediately follow the final.

I played my first tournament with a "final nine" a couple of weeks ago. The format was 27 holes in the first round, with the top five players in each class playing a final nine to finish. Many of the classes had five or fewer players, so no suspense for most of us. With 27 holes the first round didn't end until 2:00, and we didn't start the final nine until about 3:00. Only about ten players were eliminated from the final nine, and they just went on home. No interest in spectating...

I'd much rather play two 18-hole rounds and call it good.

I played my first tournament with a "final nine" a couple of weeks ago. The format was 27 holes in the first round, with the top five players in each class playing a final nine to finish. Many of the classes had five or fewer players, so no suspense for most of us. With 27 holes the first round didn't end until 2:00, and we didn't start the final nine until about 3:00. Only about ten players were eliminated from the final nine, and they just went on home. No interest in spectating...

I'd much rather play two 18-hole rounds and call it good.

Final Nines for every division is overkill, IMO, particularly divisions for which there aren't enough players to warrant a "cut". 27 + 9 is an odd choice, though. I presume it wasn't PDGA as 36 for everyone is usually the minimum number of holes (for B & C tiers anyway).

Our experiment at Stoney Hill had to do, in part, with incorporating our different layouts. We played two 18s on Saturday, 24 on Sunday, then a final 6. Besides creating a little extra drama and giving players the chance to watch, if they chose, we did it to replay some cool holes that had only been played once.

Last year we tried it with a Final 6 for most divisions; this year we only did it for the Top 4 in Open and Top 4 in Advanced. But we didn't keep a gallery hostage; we paid out everyone else, or at least everyone who wanted to get paid and leave early, before the Final 6.

After two years of experimentation, we've decided to drop the Finals in the future.

I'll be playing in my first event with a Final 9 in a few weeks. They're doing it for all divisions, making the cut at the payout line. So they won't be coercing much of a gallery; everyone who misses the cut will be free to go, unless they are riding with someone who's still playing, or have won some side item like a CTP that won't be awarded until later.

It really started in 2002 with the syndicated "Disc TV" show. After the first few events, the producers were getting annoyed as they were filming the lead card (they only had one camera) and they had no footage of the winner that came from the second or lower card. They started requiring events they were filming to do a final nine so they were assured of having the eventual winner on tape.
On a side note, I played in the final 9 at the 2004 Greater Peoria Open. It was a safari 9 at McNaughton and the TD fielded 9 cards (8 open men, 4 open women, 8 Adv. men, etc.)! It was a big event back then. There were galleries following the cards they wanted and galleries watching their favorite holes. It was an absolute blast!

While I'm sure Disc TV had an influence on some events that otherwise didn't incorporate a Final 9, the concept of final 9s existed before then (Worlds for years, for example). I remember events from my first year of competing (1998) featuring Final somethings, whether it was 9 or 6 or some other number...usually they involved safari components. None of them even dreamed of having a camera following the action. Just the Novice division. :)

I think the idea of a final 9 for divisions that can bring out a gallery is a good idea. I think it is a good way to publicize the sport to outside spectators. (It is a good deal easier to follow 9 holes of good golf than 18 with everyone playing, even the guy that hasn't made a putt all day)

I also like the idea of having the final 9 played on a "safari" type setup. This allows for big shots for the gallery. I know that some of the top pros are not fans of this idea because of how difficult it is to practice those holes during the week. However, in my mind, everyone has the same difficulties with practicing that particular layout.

I would be interested to see if there is often a large scoring shift in these final nines. If there is not, I think the exhibition factor really does a lot to let people inside and outside of the sport see how the best golfers do things differently. If the TD can stay away from the action and get scores calculated and payouts figured. (Maybe even talk to any local media outlets they have invited out?) the final 9 is a great distraction as well.

The only final 9 I saw in person was a safari final 9 for the Open men. There were a few out of town guys, and the crowd was huge. It was a lot of fun to watch.

The only thing I really like about Final 9's is the safari holes. Some of them can be quite good and provide some amazing shots. In terms of actual tournament play, it's weird that only the top 4 or 5 people play and get that opportunity for further scoring changes.

final nine

I myself enjoy the final nine. I love playing events and love watching the top arms play. :popcorn:

kind of hard when your at an event to enjoy the top players, when im just trying to not take a 12 on a hole.

I would love to see a mixed of final nine. Something like worst player ie. me vs top pro for final nine with a few flip the drive and muligan cards.

Last edited:
i hate waiting around for the open final 9 to finish when i know i placed to get a prize. some of us have **** to do

KC Wide Open Final 9 is great. They play a slight variant / safari at Swope with the top 4 MPO and top 3 FPO playing on the same card. The ladies always go first. If the weather cooperates the gallery is huge. Big gallery means lots of eyeballs which translates into sponsorship exposure.

There are times I have stuck around to watch Final 9's and there are times I have just gone home. I really do like the concept of a final 9 and think that it adds some fun and intruige. I have watched final 9's at worlds and even played in one while playing Advanced. Most TD's will let you have your prize if you want, so if you don't want to wait around, don't. I think the final 9 is a great showcase for the sport, however they decide to do it.

I also like the idea of having the final 9 played on a "safari" type setup. This allows for big shots for the gallery. I know that some of the top pros are not fans of this idea because of how difficult it is to practice those holes during the week. However, in my mind, everyone has the same difficulties with practicing that particular layout.

One difficulty is when locals know and have played the safari holes, while out-of-towners have not. Not so much for a higher-tier event, where players may arrive a few days in advance, but most tournaments aren't higher tiers.

One drawback to a final 9 is when a player has a commanding lead going into it. 9 holes isn't enough to change the outcome, unless the leader totally collapses, and it really takes the drama out of it.

most smaller tournaments around here do not have a final 9 but some of the larger ones do. i had a blast following the top pros this past weekend at the tour de richmond and i think the pros playing had fun too.

big crowd.

13939364487_ce88eb7ec6.jpg

I think the idea of a final 9 for divisions that can bring out a gallery is a good idea. I think it is a good way to publicize the sport to outside spectators. (It is a good deal easier to follow 9 holes of good golf than 18 with everyone playing, even the guy that hasn't made a putt all day)

This makes little to no sense. I do not like Final 9's. In my experience the player who was leading going into the Final 9 wins anyways, but it takes a whole lot longer to get to that same conclusion.

I have yet to see a Final 9 drawing any new spectators beyond the golfers that didn't make the cut. It does nothing to "publicize" the sport to the outside spectators.

Latest posts