• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

finger injury

Mspot

Par Member
Anyone ever injure the collateral ligament of their finger? I think I did it from throwing backhand and it is taking forever to heal. Would like to hear from anyone else who has dealt with this and what their experience was.
I have point tenderness on the radial side of my PIP joint of my ring finger. The backhand release pulls this joint laterally and stretches that joint. I'm guessing it is from my release and I am likely holding the disc too tight.

I've hurt my finger the same way throwing backhand when I was first starting to learn and couldn't figure out exactly what I was doing to cause that.

I've also cut my finger from throwing forehand improperly with discs that are kind of sharp at the bottom. But yea, if you grip a disc too tightly I believe you can definitely injure a finger from the snap part.

Not to mention gripping a disc too tightly all the time can increase your chances of grip locking really badly when your hand starts getting sticky from sweat or mud or whatever.

If you dont let ligaments heal properly and keep stressing it....it will never heal properly and will be loose forever. I know this because this is my right thumb after dislocation.

Short answer, yes. I eventually switched to a Climo-type fork grip in order to protect this joint from the stresses it was getting in a power grip. I later had to deal with something similar in my index finger as well, which might have been due to my grip and might have been due to my 6yo's propensity to use me as a gymnastics apparatus.

It's probably worth noting that stress in line with the joint movement is often a pulley injury, where perpendicular tends to injure the collaterals. Either way, it's a slow recovery. Gentle articulation and progressive strengthening is appropriate once you get past the trauma phase. It's good to take the down time to strengthen & integrate the entirety of the kinetic chain that is involved in the injury. Buddy tape it to protect it while you're trying to work other muscle groups.