• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fingers.

travis.d

So i started to play in October last year, and ive been playing pretty regularly since. i started out with a two finger grip, and eventually i found out most people do 4, which feels really weird for me. so, over the course of time, i have gotten used to a 3 finger grip. Its helped me be able to consistantly get around -4 on short tees at my home course buchmiller in Lancaster PA, so im happy with the accuracy its given me. But when i get to some holes that are around 400', or anytime a play a course with a hole longer than that, i never can seem to get my distance and accuracy with the three finger grip. So my question is, should i keep trying to get my three fingered better for those long holes, or should i just switch to the two fingered for longer holes? Im just not sure what would be better in the long run.

I have always used the 4 finger power grip for my drivers. I have heard people have a lot of success with less than four but I have not heard of any pros using less than four (I am sure there are some that might) so I never tried anything else.

They are overrated...just lop them off;)

I think the best advice I could give would be to go out to a practice field and throw discs with different grips. Use what works/feels right for you.

They are overrated...just lop them off
Not good advice.

I think the best advice I could give would be to go out to a practice field and throw discs with different grips. Use what works/feels right for you.
Good advice.

Mr.Fixit, the duality of man personified.

I'm sure if you squeeze 1 more finger under the rim it will start to feel more comfortable...

I think 4 finger power grip or fork grip are the most popular for drivers. My guess is that with the popularity there is correlation to success.

If you practice it enough for big drives, you will find it more comfortable. So give it some work.

I have gone from 4 finger to 2 finger, back to 4 and then back to 2. 4 finger seems to give me a little more power but when I use 2, I seem to get a cleaner more consistant release.

I dont know that there is a right way or a wrong way; but there probably is a "better" way and technique issues which are warping the results but; I would say that grip could afford to at least be comfortable to an extent and you probably could work out plenty of other technique issues before forcing yourself to change grip.

Im not expert so could be very wrong, but thats my 2 cents.

I have gone from 4 finger to 2 finger, back to 4 and then back to 2. 4 finger seems to give me a little more power but when I use 2, I seem to get a cleaner more consistant release.

That's what she said...

Mr.Fixit, the duality of man personified.[/QUOTE]

I strive to be the best/worst that I can:p

Forehand or backhand should be the first question asked. I've never seen or heard or anyone throwing with less than 4 fingers backhand. Or throwing forehand with 4.
I'm confused!

Im assuming BH because I HAVE heard of 2 fingers for backhand.

powergrip04.jpg

That's what she said...

I thought she said fist.

So i started to play in October last year, and ive been playing pretty regularly since. i started out with a two finger grip, and eventually i found out most people do 4, which feels really weird for me. so, over the course of time, i have gotten used to a 3 finger grip. Its helped me be able to consistantly get around -4 on short tees at my home course buchmiller in Lancaster PA, so im happy with the accuracy its given me. But when i get to some holes that are around 400', or anytime a play a course with a hole longer than that, i never can seem to get my distance and accuracy with the three finger grip. So my question is, should i keep trying to get my three fingered better for those long holes, or should i just switch to the two fingered for longer holes? Im just not sure what would be better in the long run.

I use a 5 finger grip.

oh sorry i throw backhand 3. ive been working on 4 and its...getting there. i throw forehand 2 like most people i assume.

I think its a matter of hands, some larger hands have confort problems with four finger grips. The main problem I have with three fingers is the disc slips out early easier. 80 to 90% of my finger pressure is on my pinky and ring fingers(which I stack because of curved pinky bones) these fingers are the first to release on the snap. Once they release the other can't hold on. Also if you put pressure on the index finger you tense up muscles in the biceps, and tense muscles in the upper arm cause less distance.

Latest posts