• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First birdie!!

Heatgain

I've only been playing since my bro-in-law introduced me to this game up in Ann Arbor mid-October of this year.
Since then my wife and I have played 7 times in Cottage Hill Park here in Mobile, Alabama with our 3-in-a-set, $19.95 DX discs.
I made my first birdie yesterday on hole 11! 2 shots on a par 3. OK, it's a relatively easy hole, and OK, I'm playing from the red tee.....but.....YES!!
Everyone at my work could care less so I figured I'd shout it out here. :)
Used a Skeeter and an Aviar. I still don't have the snap to make my Leopard fly without a big fade to the left.

Wait. Are they putting Skeeters instead of Stingrays or Sharks in starter sets now?

Anyway, WTG and welcome to disc golf.

Feels so good doesn't it? just wait till the ace.

also, they probably put the skeeters in the starter sets now cause the can't move them on their own;)

Welcome to the site btw

congrats, welcome to the game and the site. Keep workin on that snap to get the Leopard up to speed! There's some great articles and video links on this site and DGR that'll help accelerate that process.

Once you can get that leopard to 330'-350' a whole world of discs will open up to you, but be patient and keep working (don't buy a bunch of plastic prematurely) and you'll become a solid player in faster-than-average time.

Nice Job. It is a great feeling watching that disc hit the chains for a duece. I am glad your wife is playing also because if you can get her onboard Discin is much easier.

Good job! I was pretty geeked too when I hit my first birdie.

Now come back again when you hit that ace! ;)

Thanks all! so far, LOVE this game!

Wait. Are they putting Skeeters instead of Stingrays or Sharks in starter sets now?
Yep, both sets (wifey & mine) had a Leopard, a Skeeter, and an Aviar.

Feels so good doesn't it? just wait till the ace.
also, they probably put the skeeters in the starter sets now cause the can't move them on their own;)
Welcome to the site btw
I dunno, I kinda like the Skeeter. Then again, I am a rank beginner. Funny thing is, altho I can't yet handle the Leopard, my wife, who throws RH forehand, handles it nicely. It doesn't go very far (125' or so), but it veers to the left then veers to the right, and straightens out. Maybe I should try lighter discs? Hers are 165/166, mine are 170/171. Or maybe work on my snap! :eek:

Nice Job. It is a great feeling watching that disc hit the chains for a duece. I am glad your wife is playing also because if you can get her onboard Discin is much easier.
She actually calls me at work and suggests we go after work. Nice!!

Good job! I was pretty geeked too when I hit my first birdie.
Now come back again when you hit that ace! ;)
An ace! Ha! If we wait to post for that, I may never get to post again!
I'm still excited when I hit a putt. Although I am getting some in now from 30' away. Hmmm.

Getting 2's are always exciting. Disc Golf is a life long sport. Always nice to hear about more women playing to!

congrats on the birdie now you are hooked on disc golf and a great sit dgcr

This is good stuff! Thanks for sharing. It is a great sport and more and more people are picking it up everyday. And then for them to come on here and be excited makes it that much better!

Keep throwing and the 2's will start to fall!

Maybe one day you will hear from your three-year-old... 'Daddy, let's go play frisbee golf' Talk about a proud day! :)

I dunno, I kinda like the Skeeter. Then again, I am a rank beginner. Funny thing is, altho I can't yet handle the Leopard, my wife, who throws RH forehand, handles it nicely. It doesn't go very far (125' or so), but it veers to the left then veers to the right, and straightens out. Maybe I should try lighter discs? Hers are 165/166, mine are 170/171. Or maybe work on my snap! :eek:

It's the archer, not the arrow. Forehand throws tend to make discs act more understable than backhand throws.

The leopard is a good disc, and a 170 will be just fine, especially as it beats in a little. Once you start getting it out there, getting a slightly faster 150 class disc like a Valkyrie isn't a terrible idea, especially for your wife - it will add some distance, but only if you're throwing cleanly (and there's no wind).

hey good for you man! good news is you have all winter to play down there where a foot of snow isn't looming imminently on the near horizon... those spring yips can be hard to shake....

That's great! My first discs were a DX starter set too, but it came with a Shark. Still hate that disc .. lol

That leopard will be with you for a while. Once you get better, and it beats up, you can throw some crazy hyzer flips with it, in a tail wind .. lol. I still have mine, and take it out in the field on occasion just because it's fun to throw (my set was all 150 class). Stick with that set for a while, and resist the urge to go buy everything out there trying to throw farther. You sound like you have a firm grasp on the concept, but I had to say it anyways. I spent a ton of money on crap discs when I started, thinking they would make me better.

I think it's awesome that your wife is into it too. Sometimes I wish my wife liked it more, but I guess it's also good to have separate hobbies.

i can't remember my first birdie, but i remember my first big birdie on a 300+ foot hole. feels good, da?

welcome to the addiction

Latest posts