• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Diamond Trusted Reviewer!

Maybe this will be better.
Dave242,

First of all, let me say that it's GREAT to see you back on the forums! You are always a balanced source of reason and you have been greatly missed!

Can you sort this list by ratio (from highest to lowest)?

P.S.- I haven't given a No vote in several years, but my intention was always to help improve the bad reviews by pointing out their need for improvement. Now I wish I could take back some of those No votes and improve my Dave242 ratio!

Yeah, but there's history there. Dave was a Gold TR, before he basically invited a bunch of :thmbdown:'s.

Do you have a link or something that would help me understand this situation a bit clearer. I've been on here for a long time, but I've only been on the forums for a few years. It's such a strange situation for me to wrap my head around. I very vaguely remember reading something about it somewhere on here.

I ask this because without Dave's reviews of WI and IL courses that I played when I first started I doubt I'd have gotten to diamond. Or at least not by now. As a noob course bagger ten years or so ago, I've read SOOO many of his reviews. He was a staple to my course research, along with the other usual suspects. harro, tallpaul, stardoggy etc.

If you do an advanced search with "dave242" in the title you will get the gist.

Turns out I'm awful at any kind of search, much less advanced on here. Can I get a "clicky"? :D

I have only 110 likes that I have given out. FYI, you were #110.

Thank you, Pizza God.

In adding your name to my unique voters list, I realized I screwed up my counting. I was lazily using Word Count in Microsoft Word to total my unique voters, and of course, some usernames are multiple words. Agh! I'm at 195 unique voters ... 19 less than I thought.

Oh well. Time to get cranking on more reviews in different parts of the country. :)

I don't think you all would actually play. It would just be a series of arguments (er, I mean discussions) of best teepad material, basket types, counting how many fairways touched or crossed, and whether the shot variety and elevation were all they could be for that course. By the time you sorted all that out it would be dark. :)

I think it's more like...

attachment.php

Attachments

• I know.png
    I know.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 254
Do you have a link or something that would help me understand this situation a bit clearer. I've been on here for a long time, but I've only been on the forums for a few years. It's such a strange situation for me to wrap my head around. I very vaguely remember reading something about it somewhere on here.

I ask this because without Dave's reviews of WI and IL courses that I played when I first started I doubt I'd have gotten to diamond. Or at least not by now. As a noob course bagger ten years or so ago, I've read SOOO many of his reviews. He was a staple to my course research, along with the other usual suspects. harro, tallpaul, stardoggy etc.

Since you were so flattering here, and you found my reviews helpful, I'll add my perspective on why I got so many :thmbdown:s.....and don't really care.

Exploring new courses and evaluating was a hobby way before DGCR. Matter of fact, course directories were VERY hard to come by back in the day. I had a spreadsheet with all my criteria of what is 'good' to me (analytical engineer type). I did not keep notes of everything that others might find useful (bathrooms, benches, multiple teepads, next tee markers, etc), but had 150-180 courses on my list (if I recall correctly). I am a fan of numbers/ratings, so early on I decided to dump scores and ratings into DGCR. I did that via a cut and paste method....and included my rubric in every review. Not the well-crafted, just-the-right-length & format that people have come accustomed to reading here. Apparently, some people found my reviews insufferable!

After my first batch I entered one evening, I got a TON of :thmbdown:s. Feedback was that many people hated them. But my attitude was that if some people liked them and found them helpful in some way (they did), the addition of my extensive (at the time) list, that was great! If not, people were not forced to read them. So I kept doing things that way with almost all on my played list. After that, I fleshed things out more and people seems to dislike that less.

So, I was never a Gold or Bronze or anything reviewer since timg from the outset had a positive/negative ratio criteria which I never met. My reviews are brutally honest/consistent with my own criteria....and a few started some big debates (Idlewild, Flip, Flyboy). But, hearing what you said makes it all worth it....so thanks! Stardoggy I don't know personally, but tallpaul & harr are awesome dudes - hung out with them both a few years back.

I'd thought Dave made Gold at one point, but guess Im wrong about that. Perhaps I just recall that early on, it seemed he'd reviewed a ton of courses I was looking at for road trips.

Congrats Bryan!

I hope you continue to drop reviews when you have time to do so. Especially for the courses with zero reviews. Its truly appreciated by fellow baggers like myself.

I also wanted to note that I really like your avatar image ;)

I will, I will always make sure I review courses with old or no reviews first.

And as far as the Avatar, thank you very much, I finally figured out how to use it :D

Maybe this will be better.

attachment.php

Ouch, who upset Swatso?

Is there anyway of seeing who downvoted which posts? It would be interesting to see what people value in a review or whether some of them are just homer "you not nice to my local, you get down vote" type thumbs downs.