• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check

dalby

Hello everybody, I'm seeking advice on my backhand form. I'm a very long time lurker of the forum. I played a lot of disc golf over quarantine (like 4 rounds a day plus practice). I recently started taking it more seriously after going up and down with it in the last few years. I got out maybe once every few weeks last season.

Anyways, I figured now is a better time than ever to incorporate new things and get rid of bad habits in my form. The furthest I can throw is about 300' with a 6 or 7 speed driver. Anything above a 7 speed is more than I can handle

I've watched a lot of videos and drills to work on form, but the amount of information makes it difficult for me. I need 1 or 2 things to focus on at a time and I'm not sure where to start. I took a few videos today of my backhand. Both where attempts to be thrown flat with as much power as I can use to be semi consistent.

Video 1 in real time

Video 2 in slow motion

These are the same two throws in two different angles (I'm sorry they're not landscape). To me it looks like I start to uncoil to early and that I'm leading with my right shoulder. However, my knowledge is limited. Suggestions and criticisms would be helpful.

Looks like you never coil back deep enough into the rear hip and end up hugging yourself/rounding. You want to hammer out from power pocket with shoulders/chest still closed to target.

Thank you! The pool cue and hammer have helped make sense of what my body needs to be doing. I'm going to get out to the field a few times this week and work on the rounding specifically. I'll update with any breakthroughs and hopefully a new video in the next week.