• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form review

Welcome! Be warned, there are deep mysteries ahead of you, but they can be solved.

Some things are working in there, but I'm going to go after a big picture issue. You need to get out of Flatsville and move into Circular City.

The Swing Plane is not Straight and Flat.

Your swing looks like the one that most players develop when they're very focused on developing control and throwing a disc straight and flat. As a result, their form develops less-powerful unnatural movements for the sake of catering to that swing thought mistake. Remarkably, this form almost always seems to top out around 300-325' or so. I like to dispel this form thoroughly out of the gate for people.

Here's a summary of some of the issues I see vs. Ezra:

kIF2zph.jpg

Notice how your posture and feet differ significantly throughout the movement. Hips and overall motion are too flat and your legs are out of leverage with poor tilt. You're leaving a lot on the table.

Now look at how you move vs. young Simon or McBeth. Their young forms involve large curves and pendulum actions. They are shifting higher away from the ground in the x-step and dropping more into the plant. Their bodies involve more rocking and swinging of the hips and body. Those actions are still there in their mature form, but harder to see when you're not used to looking for them.

So the move fundamentally is more like this than yours:

Shift your weight and swing in natural circular motions that generate power
2y0cL1.gif

Drop your mass to crush the can and swing
giphy.gif

Rock that body
I9OAbj.gif

And related ideas.

Where do you begin? I'm in camp "break it down in standstills." It is easier to rebuild mechanics there. My x-step always improves easily after fixing issues in standstills but it is often fraught to do it the other way around. So I'd suggest you start here:

(That's seabas22/Sidewinder22. Pay attention to what he teaches you :)

(That's me aiming to help you through some of the pain points I've gone through connecting the dots. I don't like 100% of what I said or how I move there, but some of it may help.)

For specific drills, I think time with Hershyzer and Door frame will serve you well. Feel free to post how you're doing the drills since most people do them wrong or don't maximize them at first (including me). I strongly encourage you take the time to work on these. Most people try to rush to fix their swing and try to skip the important details; these drills will help address many of the issues above if done well (and frequently).

Last edited:
You turn back and reachback a little too early and start moving the arm/disc forward too early before you plant front foot. Also curling your arm a bit too much around the disc and shoulders are too horizontal.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 1.53.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 1.53.52 PM.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts