• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Round of 2018

First round will be Wednesday at a pitch & putt 9-hole where I work. Definitely looking forward to it...can't really think of a better way to spend my lunch break.

Hit the ground running in 2018, with 60 holes worth of "new to me" courses in sub-zero wind chills and an inch or two of powder on the final leg of my bi-annual FL trip.
:)

Last edited:
Played first tags today and left with the 47 tag (out of 108 people...new club record!) I started SLLLLOOWWW but finished with nine straight pars after a birdie, so I'll take it. Wish I could have thrown better but I had a great group and still finished in the top 50.

I drew Jim Oates at the Shady Oaks daily doubles but it was a misdeal, one card short. Ended up with my buddy nate that I played with all weekend. Fun in the 60's. I'll do better tomorrow.

Helped put the finishing touches on the new 9 holes at my buddies private course on Sunday morning then played them. Played an evening round of tiki then hit the tiki course for 9 more holes at midnight.

Its like positive 15 in Maryland and thats too cold for me. Cold doesn't bother me too terribly much but I have no desire to play with painfully cold hands.

If it warms up a tad (or is even just sunny with no wind) I'll get my first 2018 game in this weekend

Got out to a new to me course in Cincinnati (Dunham Rec Center) with my brother in law. It was downright freezing out there with and inch or so of snow left over from Fri/Sat. But, I love throwing this time of year when there's not a soul out on the course except you and your cardmate(s). There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothes.

Didn't keep score, mostly out to just throw a round and bag a course.

I'm not about to disc golf in temps that are below 40 or if there is any snow on the ground. Right now we're living through the heart of Canada's gift to the midwestern U.S., ice cold air (is it ever warm in Canada?), and there seems to be no end to it in sight so it'll probably be a couple of months yet for the first 2018 rounds to be thrown around here. When you live in the midwest part of the country your season for doing much of anything outdoors in decent temps is extremely short. Mid November to late March, especially, is generally worthless for trying to get outdoors during that time. When it isn't absolutely freezing outside then it is generally rainy and muddy. Must explain why most of the really better players at disc golf (especially pro-level) are from the western part of the country. They have a MUCH longer playing season out west compared to the rest of the country.

I'm not about to disc golf in temps that are below 40 or if there is any snow on the ground. Right now we're living through the heart of Canada's gift to the midwestern U.S., ice cold air (is it ever warm in Canada?), and there seems to be no end to it in sight so it'll probably be a couple of months yet for the first 2018 rounds to be thrown around here. When you live in the midwest part of the country your season for doing much of anything outdoors in decent temps is extremely short. Mid November to late March, especially, is generally worthless for trying to get outdoors during that time. When it isn't absolutely freezing outside then it is generally rainy and muddy. Must explain why most of the really better players at disc golf (especially pro-level) are from the western part of the country. They have a MUCH longer playing season out west compared to the rest of the country.

I doubt they have MUCH longer season out west than in the south. We play all year long.

When I lived in northern WI, I'd have gone insane if I stayed inside all winter. I'd have been stuck inside from September to May.

For real. Cincy is mild by comparison, but there's no way I'm spending every day indoors from Mid-December until March.

Played my first two rounds of the year today. One at Showmen's and the other at Lakeview. It struggled to get into the 50's today with a strong cold wind blowing.

Got out for a cool (20-degrees) snowy round at Kinslow DGC in Sunbury, OH today for my lunch break. Took a shovel to clear the tee-pads, they were not too bad.

Played just OK, hit the basket on #4 for an almost-ace. Good to get the DG year started! I recorded 171 rounds last year, with 17 new courses..... Hoping to improve on that.

My first round will probably be Wednesday at a new course for me, Laurens County Park in Laurens, SC. Little cold to really be getting out and throwing, but we'll see how today goes

LOL, this never happened. Too much driving and time pressure with other things to really be able to have any fun; hopefully will be getting out later today though for the first 2018 round!

Got out to a new to me course in Cincinnati (Dunham Rec Center) with my brother in law. It was downright freezing out there with and inch or so of snow left over from Fri/Sat. But, I love throwing this time of year when there's not a soul out on the course except you and your cardmate(s). There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothes.

Didn't keep score, mostly out to just throw a round and bag a course.

Dunham's nice; it's different enough from the other courses in the city to be fun, but still has a challenge factor. I wish I had it made it out there for a few more rounds this past summer when I was up there but Mt. Airy is just so much fun lol.

Dunham's nice; it's different enough from the other courses in the city to be fun, but still has a challenge factor. I wish I had it made it out there for a few more rounds this past summer when I was up there but Mt. Airy is just so much fun lol.

I'll have to get back out there in the warmer months, or at least when it isn't covered in snow and give it a proper play through.

Latest posts