• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First time being filmed

I think/hope I finally have some improvement here. I was only focused on getting on the front leg better the other stuff I'm sure is the same.

Crossing the streams is bad.

It all looks weird, camera angle and direction you are moving vs throwing. It looks like you are moving to the left more than targetward which is why you plant so flat footed... crush the can - plant toes first then heel/weight forward.

Your arm swing is not connected/taut to your shoulders/torso. Your pre-swing pumps are all arm, no shoulder/body. Get something heavy like a bat or sledgehammer and swing it. Centripetal acceleration should pull your arm upward and taut like a string. You are swinging downward across your shoulder plane, and releasing nose up, keep the arm swing/disc level with your shoulder plane.

Sidewinder, how do you keep the rear foot from spinning out when you load into it? I'm noticing this in all my throws and can't seem to stop. I assume I'm loading incorrectly in the backswing and this is probably a power leak.

Sidewinder, how do you keep the rear foot from spinning out when you load into it? I'm noticing this in all my throws and can't seem to stop. I assume I'm loading incorrectly in the backswing and this is probably a power leak.

Resist the foot turning in the backswing(which extends the knee and turns/loads the hip) and stay in balance.

Yeah, you are striding like 45 degrees leftward instead of straight, so you just kind of go fall around your plant leg instead of pivoting/swiveling the hips. Your rear heel goes airborne in the start of your backswing so it spins(rear foot is completely backward to target), when it should go down/weight back into firmly planted rear foot about 45 degrees angled from backward. Then your rear heel goes back down as you plant the front foot when it should be going up/weight forward. Your rear knee is also fully extended throughout your transition. You should be squatting in the transition and getting lower to angulate/leverage yourself forward.

Thanks for the clarification on the rear heel. I read somewhere to never let the rear heel touch the ground so that's where that was coming from. Seems better now.

As far as shifting left goes... Any clue on why I'm doing that? I'm pretty well lost as it feels straight to me but obviously isn't. The only thing I can think of is I typically aim left for a slightly pulled shot instead of directly on my intended line. I've had problems with this ever since I started. Thanks again for all your help.

In an x-step bad things often happen when the rear heel goes on the ground, but it can still work when done right, just often harder to learn when that rear heel hits the ground hard in x-step - typically slows momentum down or gets in the way.

In a standstill, it's easier to have the heel down for the sake of balance and leverage and the fact you actually have to shift your weight backward away from the target. This is why in Reciprocating Dingle Arm and Turbo Encabulator I talk about both heels going back and forth - one goes up, the other goes down. Your weight shifts with your heels. See Double Can Crush in Bottles and Cans below - everything is mirrored in a standstill from backswing forward.

Feel ain't always real. It might feel straight because your rear foot is spinning. Butt Wipe Drill should help get the correct feeling. You also need to relax your arm and let your body do the work to release it. Your elbow starts high then drops, working against centripetal force. If your body turn whips the arm it will get pulled taut upward/outward from centripetal force.

Still working on sequencing. I seem to learn faster focusing on familiar, positive feelings. Are you supposed to feel like your arm is being stretched back before you start the forward pull? Almost feels like someone pulling back on it. I've noticed a pulling/stretching feeling in my lower right lat muscle as well, sometimes it's a little sore the next day like I've done a workout or something. I'm hoping these are clues that I'm getting on the front leg better before pulling.

Kind of, do the the Door Frame Drills and leverage your rear leg against the door frame using your weight like a tug of war.

Feeling pretty stuck. I think most of the stuff is the same. I was more focusing on shifting from behind/falling into front leg. Is that better at least? I feel like I look too backwards or something.

Thanks for your help sidewinder. I know it looks like I'm not following your advise but I'm trying. Just doesn't seem to be clicking.

You are setup too backward and striding sideways instead of to the target.

Get a sledgehammer and swing back and forth relentlessly and effortlessly - loosen your arm and swivel your hips to toss it. Your arm is way too tense even going into the backswing and jerking back and forward. You want effortless smooth transitions backward and forward. You need to feel the weight of the disc and abandon the weight of the disc to gravity in the backswing.

So I'm swinging my hammer around and I'm still a little (a lot) lost.

1. Swinging the hammer has my shoulder hanging much lower than before. Arm is swinging more smoothly in preswings. Is this what you were getting at with my arm being too tense?

2. Am I supposed be actively opening and closing the hips to power the throw or is that supposed to be passive? What i mean is, I've been purposely closing the hips to get the arm swinging back into the back swing then opening them to get the disc going forward.

3. Swinging the hammer has it feeling like I don't get my weight up on the back leg in the backswing. The body weight feels more centered or forward. When I try to keep my weight from going back with a disc it feels like I can't generate any power and the swing feels rushed with shots pulled way right. Are you supposed to resist the body weight from going back?

4. When I try a big pre swing Feldy pump at the beginning with the disc out in front of me (like it feels swinging the hammer) everything feels wrong. It feels like I'm throwing left handed or something, I can't seem to get the rhythm coming back forward. Does this just not work for everyone?

5. Could you further explain what you mean by the hips swiveling? What should this feel like?

Sorry for the long post.

All kinds of good videos on SC's channel. Never seen this one before but I think it's exactly what SW22 has been trying to tell me. I think my tempo is improving from watching this video.

I'm still unclear on as to where the effort of the swing should be focused. What i mean is, I've always thought that I should be actively swinging the hips to power the swing (closing them to swing the arm back then slamming them open to swing the arm forward) but I think all I'm actually accomplishing is spinning and tiring myself out. I was messing around with a few things today and throws felt easier when I was trying to use my body weight to power the swing instead, maybe like the hershyzer drill or something. Felt kind of like my butt weight was pulling the arm forward if that makes sense. Does that sound more correct? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Lol, yep, haven't seen that video before..."you can't rush a wrecking ball".

Sorry for the terrible angle. I've really been sucking it up lately. I think most of the same problems are there but now it feels like I'm getting no leverage from the upper body or something. Im not sure but nothing feels right at the moment. Any ideas?

Your stride is way too right to left and moving across and into the way of your arm/disc. Your arm and shoulder also look too tense in the backswing and barely turning the shoulder back. That little quick pump is way too jerky - the disc should not move after you pre-swing and set it forward - you should be moving forward around the disc while it doesn't move(Door Frame part 3). Door Frame Drill 1 and 2 - feel your butt/weight leading targetward and the door frame pulling your arm/shoulder back loose/taut through the shoulder/arm. You should be in about the same position in Door Frame and Hershyzer leading butt first into wall just before fully planting into the front foot.

It looks like you are completely on your front leg before the rear leg starts to leave the ground or transfer weight. Then the rear leg is countering the throw at this point rather than giving you any leverage/weight/momentum...it's essentially a one leg drill it seems. Your upper body is way ahead of your hips because of this too...you're starting the throw with the torso while the rear leg is still weighted. Essentially no weight transfer.

You need to turn back later/deeper and shift the weight into or onto the front plant sooner, to start the throw. Let it happen naturally from the ground up.

So I've had to take some time off for a surgery but I'm back and struggling. I'm sure it's more of the same mistakes. Feels like I'm making no progress. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts