• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First tournament tips

madman1101

Par Member
I have my first ever tournament sunday morning, anyone got any advice for the night before or day of the tournament?

Have fun.

Be sure to have a good breakfast (and lunch if it is two rounds). Being tired will lead to not throwing the disc as well and lead to shorting your putts.

Have fun.

Mention to the group you're playing with that it's your first tournament. In almost all cases, they'll help you with little items of etiquette and procedure. All of them played their "first tournament" at one time.

DO NOT blame every bad shot you have on it being your first tournament and being nervous or whatever because of it, people will get annoyed really quick

don't party too hard the night before. get your normal amount of sleep. drink plenty of water, stay hydrated. bring lunch and some snacks. extra set of clothes/socks and shoes is never a bad idea. maybe a few backups of your main throwers in case anything happens.

don't spend too much time getting warmed up. not sure what your regular routine is. i recommend maybe 10 minutes of putting and 5-10 drives. take your time and get relaxed before each shot during the round.

don't spend too much time getting warmed up. not sure what your regular routine is. i recommend maybe 10 minutes of putting and 5-10 drives. take your time and get relaxed before each shot during the round.

would you think a warm up round would be good? or no?

would you think a warm up round would be good? or no?

Depends on your stamina. A tournament round takes as much energy as a couple casual rounds with all the standing around and slow pace of play, so if playing an extra round on top of two tournament rounds would leave you lacking energy at the end of the day stick to just a couple holes to warm up.

One of the folks might not care it's your first time, with respect to penalty strokes. So, observe the rules, especially those of courtesy. Ask if you're unsure about anything.

be sure to bring your mini, hole out after you make your basket, make sure you agree with your score when you hand in your card sometimes people make mistakes when adding, dont expect to do that well (my first tournament i did pretty bad)

Don't take risky shots, dont be afraid to layup no need to go for chains 60feet out

It is definitely different then playing casual rounds with friends as that it moves a lot slower and you might find it hard to get in a rhythm.

With all that being said I only played two tournys and would love to play more of them just dont got the money...

Most important have fun

Last edited:
Go in realizing that you will shoot a few bad shots. When they happen, forget em and focus on executing the next one.

Have fun. The end.

And about practice.. I wouldn't play a full round before, but definitely enough holes to get warm and to get your stroke right. I ALWAYS throw drives before I practice putt, that way you're not putting with a non warm arm.

nerves got to me, can't sleep, guess i'll derp the forums for a bit and try again....

My tip is... Don't feel rushed. If you need a couple moments for disc selectiom, or lining up a putt, take your time. It's something I struggle with, for sure.

Just have fun dude.

Like anything you look forward to you will be excited and nervous the night before. Any rest will be beneficial, but if you are really excited and can't sleep be sure that you are prepared! Check your bag to make sure you have all the discs you need. Pack some snacks in your car, have plenty of drinks, bring bug spray, suntan lotion, tylenol, a change of socks,shoes and clothes (you never know) and some towels to dry of your disc. And then go to bed.

For tomorrow: have fun! Remember that you don't have to worry about that headache because you are so tired because you didn't get enough sleep the night before...for you have brought tylenol! If the TD forgot to supply enough water for all the players: You brought your own drinks! If your shoes and socks are wet before the round has begun because you were out practicing: you have a change of shoes and socks! If you get hungry mid round because your group is playing so slow: you have snacks. If you slip and fall into a creek and now everyhting on you is wet: you have a change of clothes.

But above all have fun. You are playing golf. It is supposed to be a walk in the park...literally! Be friendly with those in your group; focus not on what/how they are playing, but only be concerned with your next shot. Have fun. Enjoy the day. And last and most importantly: have fun.

Well... don't have TOO much fun. ;)

Latest posts