• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flick---> innova?

mmyersdisc

Double Eagle Member
Ok, so im trying to widdle my bag down to just innova..no I don't have to but im THINKING about it, anyways I was gonna put a order in for discs since I havn't in a few months lol...im gonna try out some r-pro plastic (boss and skeeter) and gettin a KC pro aviar...and I was just trying to figure out what the flick would be in innova. I can't think of whats that overstable with that sharp/small of a lip innova carries, I mainly use it for sidearm shots and I never use it for back-hand due to the shallow lip....anyways, if anyone can come up with an answer and if its a good disc or not lemme know :cool:

I use the Flick and the Star Max for the majority of my forehand drives. The Max gives some better distance while the Flick is very accurate at 275 -325 ft..

I would say the Star MAX is a beefier version of the Discraft Flick. Although, I wouldn't head to the course without either disc.

hope this helps.

Whippet X? Great disc with a narrow lip, and very overstable. I'm fond of the Firebird myself though... similar to a flick in many respects, but none of the Innova plastic is as skippy as the Z plastic from Discraft, which is why I sometimes keep Z in the bag -- skippy, skippy, skippy.

i tried everything innova puts put for stability in forehand rips...nothing can hold the torque but the monster...great for rollers also...i can get it out to 400'...if he wants something like the flick...a whippet or firebird won't cut it

I have a firebird, and max..and both have a "wider" lip..and yeah the Z plastic is a little squirrly..it will sometimes skip, bounce, roll it doesn't know what it wants to do....I might add a monster on my list...

The Max has a "wider" lip then the Flick, I have only felt a Flick once or twice but I thought its rim/lip was just as wide as a Max.

I love my Max for forehand shots and anything that must go long and left... also great for skip shots.

i havent seen anything like the flick - nothing with that shallow a rim - it's the only FH disc i throw that i dont need to worry about throwing too hard.

The older pealy Proline monsters were my favorites... quit throwing monsters when those became harder to come by. To be completely honest, nothing Innova makes is an exact replacement for the Flick. The Flick is a great disc -- especially the 150g Zs they made. Nothing else like it in that weight to hold a hard flat line with a guaranteed overstable finish...

wasn't really trying to compare flight characteristcs as I was to the actual mold...I know all about the flight charts...but that wasn't really helping me...thanks anyways

I'd say my Star Max is slightly faster than my Elite Z Flick but have very similar flights in max weight. A max weight Champ Firebird is also close, slightly less stable.

I think a Starfire would be the most similar. I have a couple of buddies who use this disc solely for forehand. Good luck with your possible switch to all Innova.

i tried everything innova puts put for stability in forehand rips...nothing can hold the torque but the monster...great for rollers also...i can get it out to 400'...if he wants something like the flick...a whippet or firebird won't cut it

Not to be a jerk..... famous last words..... but if you can only throw a monster, you're not throwing it right.

Keep the Flick in your bag. It is to your advantage to throw plastic which suits you. Not a specific brand.

only throw a monster?...i'm talking for max distance and accuracy(lhfh) and something that can ALWAYS turn left at the end(im a lefty)...i certainly seem to throw it correctly...i have aced with it and dropped in many deuces..this is my opinion and it is what works best for me...i try to forehand much else and it flips too easily..maybe you just read what you liked into my post? in the last 15 years i would like to think i have thrown almost everything that has come out at least once...too early in the am for a newb to ruffle this bird's feathers

Last edited:
As a primarily Innova thrower, I can tell you there isn't anything like a flick, Excaliber is similar in flight pattern, but still not the same <at least forehand>. My bag is entirely innova, except for 2 of my forehand discs, that is the flick, and the crush, both in Z plastic. I like the stability and predictability of these 2 discs, especially the flick. I've gotten excalibers, max, T-rex, and have a monster <not in my bag though>, and none throw or feel the way my flick does.
Oh I forgot I do carry 2 DGA discs, my Blowflies. There's nothing wrong with having a bag with multiple brands in it, that just supports all companies!

Yeah, I wasn't saying its bad to have more then one company...was just curious if innova made any shallow short rimmed drivers like the flick...if so I mighta tried it....I threw my max yesterday and it seemed like a longer flick so I might use that from time to time...we will see :p thanks for the info guys!

Latest posts