• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Floaty touch upshots

DX Polecat. My putter setup is KC Aviar, Polecat, Zone. Sometimes I throw in an Ion.

I prefer 170s weight range. They tend to float so I can carve lines, but they also drop out of the air when slowing so I don't get punished for running the basket. I've had a decent number of throw ins (usually no farther than 75') and have affectionately labeled it "Basket Kitty."

Last edited:
I don't love the idea of bagging like, a very narrowly applicable disc like a lightweight lid or what have you, partly I think because if I'm pulling it out it means that I've ended up in a sticky situation.
I agree.

I think it's better to find something in your bag that you at least feel semi-comfortable with that you can practice the types of shots you'd need if you were just trying to get out of trouble. Learn to throw touch anny's with something that you can beat down into that type of flight. Maybe a super beat Dagger? Learn how to air bounce. Learn to use a controlled putting motion outside of your current comfort zone. All of these techniques will probably serve you better in the long run rather than just having a specific disc in your bag that you might never pull out in a week's worth of rounds.

That said, the Super Puppy and Lat 64 Beetle are both awesome for those super floaty touch shots. Too bad both are nearly impossible to find. :\

Polecat is my favorite. Rattler is an awesome disc but it can feel weird sometimes. The good ole' Sonic is actually a solid disc for this slot too. My secret favorite is the Lat 64 Bite.

What is this Beetle you speak of Um...?

The Whittler was an awesome disc, they are near impossible to find anymore.

A lot of people love the Polecat here, and other kids like the Yikun Claws are very good too. Personally I would say don't sleep on the Swan 2. It's floaty, feels good and it just understable enough to be useful. Very underrated.

On the other hand, I have been considering just going with an archetypical floaty upshot disc like a lid or a nova, and pairing it with an unrelated S/OS driving putter, i.e. a pair that does not feel or throw similarly. Think of bagging like, a polecat + envy + zone, or a spin + shield + zone. The advantage here is that I could just choose the best options out of the box and not pay attention to same manufacturer or similar rim feel. The other side of the coin is that I might not develop the same consistency as the guys throwing/putting a bunch of wizards.

I'm in this camp although my set up is Polecat and Envy (putt with an Ion currently; don't really carry a really OS putter although I might swap the Envy for the Breaker again). I'm not as specialized b/c I'll putt with the Envy if it's windy or just not feeling the Ion (it's light). I find it much preferable to adapt to the different feel between my putters than having similar putter molds in various stages of wear simply b/c the Polecat just simply does stuff so much better than any putter I'd want to putt with. I don't care how beat up your Wizard or Aviar is, it will never be a Polecat. And if I lose my Polecat, pfft, I'll just get another one. That's a lot easier than thrashing a conventional putter to fly like my Polecat, especially considering I like to throw the Polecat in very risky situations.

I really like a beat-up aviar type putter (I cycle KC's) thrown nose up with anny for this shot. A putter thrown nose up with anny really likes to elevator-drop straight to the ground.

This would also fit into your mold minimization criteria.

This is odd to me...do people not just use a beat up version of their normal floating putter for this? Or, a little nose up anhyzer.

I can see why it would be coveted, but personally I just think that the lack of consistency using a different rim/feel with disc I don't throw often isn't worth it. Then again, I also depend a little more on forehand approaches instead so having that type of disc doesn't really fit in my lineup.

This is odd to me...do people not just use a beat up version of their normal floating putter for this? Or, a little nose up anhyzer.

I can see why it would be coveted, but personally I just think that the lack of consistency using a different rim/feel with disc I don't throw often isn't worth it. Then again, I also depend a little more on forehand approaches instead so having that type of disc doesn't really fit in my lineup.

this is dgcr most need a specific disc for one specific shot even if it only comes up once in every 20 rounds and thats one reason why its mandatory to have 30 discs in the bag

I drive putt and approach with zones but the majority of my approaches are handled by my Z Putt'r. It is one of my most used discs. It's a touch thing.

I committed to the Polecat for my approach shots, and my scores improved.

I use the Tomb when I need stability. I was using the AviarX3 or Harp as the overstable disc, but decided to just use my Hornet and power down for those not-often times I need that level of overstability.

Yesterday I was practicing driving with my polecats. 190 feet downhill drop around 30 feet. Landed right next to each other.

Attachments

• 20181031_134107.jpg
    20181031_134107.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 48
^ pretty much that.

A beat-in version of your putting putter. Nose up, anny, touchy. Using your putting mold will give you so much touch practice that will carry over into your putting.

I have been throwing/putting wizards with a scale and a birdie to round out the work load. The birdie is a touch more controllable in windy conditions over the kitty and i like it for downhill putts. The wizard is the best putter off the tee.

Latest posts