• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Floetrol making discs more stable?

durkmcgurk

Please forgive me if this has been brought up before.

A buddy who dyes and I were talking about discs, dying, and the affects it has on the flight?
I was mentioning how my ESP Heat does not act like an understable disc whatsoever. I can hyzer flip it, but it doesn't really turn (whether thrown hyzer or flat), and if I throw ani...it still fights back and fades left quite a bit. (The Heat is 10, 6, -3, 1).
I started to ponder on if it was just this disc I got...or if it was something else. I threw an undyed Heat my wife has and that disc flies pretty true to the numbers.
I recently bought a few other understable discs and noticed that after I do a dye job (Floetrol with Pro Chem dye and a little bit of silicone oil) that the discs seem to be more stable than before.

Is there an old thread on this and/or does anybody have any additional knowledge or stores about this happening?

Anecdotal information at best.

I just bought a new Buzzz, it is pink and very much more stable than my blue one.....are pink discs more stable?

I think more information/data is needed.

Please forgive me if this has been brought up before.

A buddy who dyes and I were talking about discs, dying, and the affects it has on the flight?
I was mentioning how my ESP Heat does not act like an understable disc whatsoever. I can hyzer flip it, but it doesn't really turn (whether thrown hyzer or flat), and if I throw ani...it still fights back and fades left quite a bit. (The Heat is 10, 6, -3, 1).
I started to ponder on if it was just this disc I got...or if it was something else. I threw an undyed Heat my wife has and that disc flies pretty true to the numbers.
I recently bought a few other understable discs and noticed that after I do a dye job (Floetrol with Pro Chem dye and a little bit of silicone oil) that the discs seem to be more stable than before.

Is there an old thread on this and/or does anybody have any additional knowledge or stores about this happening?

The disc's flight characteristics will change if the shape or weight of the disc changes. Does dying the disc change its shape or weight?

I'd recommend doing some measurements before and after of plh, height, diameter, weight and whatever else you can think of. It certainly seems plausible that a chemical would cause the plastic to either shrink or expand a little, which would affect its shape and, therefore, stability. But I'd want to see more than just some subjective impressions of how the disc is flying (which may be correct) before I'd count your conjecture as confirmed.

When I was doing dyes, some definitely came out of the pan noticeably flatter than the way they went in. That flattening would change flight.

This was quite a few years back and I was using rit dye heated on the stove. No idea what method people are using now and if they would have similar results.

Latest posts