• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

footwear for Disc Golf ?

ian.

*Legalize It*
I've been playing for almost a year now and Im looking into buying some new shoes just for DG and was curios what everyone here thought. I've been wearing old tennis shoes to play in but i drag my toe alot and now you can almost see my sock through all of them...so i was curious what shoe other "toe draggers" wear? Thanks again for all your help :thmbup:

If you drag your foot, you'll wear through anything eventually, unless you glue something to the area. You could try repairing with Shoe Goo, but if you have a big hole already, it's a bit late. Maybe you can shoe goo a piece of scrap leather or rubber to the wearing area.

I wear low top lightweight hiking boots, but drag my foot sometimes, as well. I played tennis for a while, and went through several left shoes....

thanks, that Targhee II does look like it could handle some toe drag, thanks again for your help guys...i guess maybe i could just work on not dragging my toe so much

If you're going to order them online, do it from Zappos. Free shipping and free, no questions asked return shipping.

I use Keen Jaspers. Comfortable and they give good grip. I also like skateboarding shoes just because I'm so used to how they feel, but the Keens grip various terrain better. I have some mid-height boots for especially muddy weather and showy weather.

You should learn to not drag your toe though. The sooner you do the easier it will be to overcome the habit. I had to do the same thing. I still drag it from time to time. It's not just going to save you $$$ regarding shoes, but toe dragging means you're not getting a proper pivot as you drive. Proper form includes the feet too, not just the arms and hips. :)

I wear a pair of shoes that are old and won't bother me if they get dirty or nasty - currently it's my old pair of Nike Shox.

Keen is fantastic for supporting disc golf and everything...but I can't afford $100+ shoes just for DG. I'm not the type to wear hiking shoes around.

Strangely I wear a pair of Magnum zip side SWAT boots. I also tend to drag the toes and these seem to hold up well, and with them not being a steel toed design they are fairly light weight.

Odd Find...Awesome Results.

My brother turned me on to MONTRAILS, which is a company who apparently makes high end jogging/mountain footwear.

As with most any shoe, regardless of brand, concrete teepads seem to wear down most soles rather quickly....as some soles last longer than others.

Anyways, the Montrails that I have are designed with a middle tread system that is different from the rest of the sole. The middle of the front sole is made out of some form of Kevlar plastic or something(VERY hard plastic). Apparently, the sole is designed for holding up to jagged and sharp rocks and terrain. Whenever you are walking on loose stones the shoes sound like you are crushing the rocks beneath you. When I first tried the shoes out on the concrete tees, they felt a little ackward, as the traction is quite unique from most shoes you would play disc golf with. At first, they may feel like your rotation is kind of slick(as in two hard surfaces rubbing together), but no worries, there is plenty of traction(softer traction surrounding the harder), as I have never slipped.

The great part is, I have been wearing these shoes for over a year, and play often on cement tees, and the shoe is literally laughing at me...."like, um is that all you got!" Not to mention, the shoe is very high end, so the comfort level and waterproof ability is superior. Your heel feels like you are placing it into some form of saddle, and of course, the soles feel like they are made for running/hiking on mountains...which they are.

Another note about the shoe...I wear an 11.5 US, but the shoes my brother gave me are 12.5 US, and they fit perfect...as he wears a 12, and said they were too tight...just something to keep in mind if you order, and not buy at a store.

Now my brother got these shoes on discount, so maybe they were discontinued, but here is a link for the closest shoe to what I have...gl

and yes...the shoes are worth every penny

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=120&prod=161

Bought a pair of Merrell MOAB GoreTex today.
Expensive - but if they are as good as they are supposed to be, they should be a good pair.
I'm going to play a few rounds tomorrow and I'll report back. The GoreTex should be awesome. I am in OH now, but am moving back to MA in 2 weeks - lots of wet days...

Bought a pair of Merrell MOAB GoreTex today.
Expensive - but if they are as good as they are supposed to be, they should be a good pair.
I'm going to play a few rounds tomorrow and I'll report back. The GoreTex should be awesome. I am in OH now, but am moving back to MA in 2 weeks - lots of wet days...

Wow - just played a round this afternoon at Roscoe Ewing Park (Medina, OH) and these shoes are amazing. Super comfy, never came untied, and the goretex is fantastic. Bounced off a tree into the shallows of one of the creeks and I walked right through the water and my feet were completely dry. I don't know if this is true, but it also seemed that the outsides helped repelled muddy stuff too. The ground was a little squishy in places, and the shoes stayed clean even when tromping right through it.

We'll see how they hold up this season, but after the go with them, I love them.

Latest posts