• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Basics

emiller3

Double Eagle Member
So, I've been toying with getting a serviceable forehand. I've never done field work for my forehand, I just started using it on the course here and there and have been trying to push it out further and further as time goes on. I have tons of OAT and tons of wobble...I mean, the other day I was lying on my living room floor just trying to flick the disc up to the ceiling and maybe one out of every 30 tosses came out smooth, the rest being horribly wobbly. I'm looking for some basic principles of a decent forehand. Last summer I was able to get my Destroyer out to 320' or so for a brief time, but now I'm back to turning and burning on anything but a 200' flex shot with a Firebird.

So far, here is everything I know about my forehand:

I pretty much have to throw overstable stuff, Destroyers and Firebirds. If I put any power into it, even my Firebirds turn pretty hard before finally flexing out.

At one point I started trying to finish with my palm up (facing the sky.) I was able to hyzer flip DX Eagles with that method and things smoothed out a little. When I try it now, I end up with these huge ugly hyzer shots rather than a nice flip-to-flat.

If I keep a pretty firm wrist instead of letting it bend backward, I get a little less wobble and it's a little easier to be accurate. Likewise, if I don't follow through much but just kind of come to a quick stop, I seem to put less OAT on the disc.

My normal grip is a stack grip with my middle finger on the inside of the rim and my index finger on top of that. If I put two fingers on the rim I get a little less wobble and a little more accuracy.

Basically, I'm a total noob when it comes to my forehand. It's especially embarrasing considering my history playing baseball. Any basic tips on getting a serviceable forehand, even if they aren't specifically directed to the issues I listed, would be much appreciated.

My first guess is that you use too much arm speed early on and get wrist rolls except when you have a short stopping follow through. There you can improve by making sure you aren't tense in the arm early on and do most of the trow when the wrist snaps forward. And follow through properly far but making sure you don't break the plane. For that a few practice stand still swings from reach back to follow through prior to the throw will help.

Do you keep the finger print of the middle finger on the rim or the bottom of the flight plate?

That's good. Really the more you strong arm the more you are torquing the wrist over. So you need to be arm at sleep until you bitch slap that hoes false teeth out of her mouth with a violent wrist snap. That violence of acceleration needs to be controlled with stiffening the wrist area or the force will again roll the wrist.

Don't try to strong-arm it, you need to concentrate on flicking it with your wrist. You want to be throwing the disc like it's a hammer; think of how your wrist/arm would be moving it that's what you were doing.

And watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjhiTI

Hey emiller3,

It sounds like you have read enough to understand how a forehand should work but have not practiced enough to apply your knowledge.

When an overstable disc comes out of your hand with lots of flutter and anhyzers uncontrollably then it sounds like a combination of a grip problem (not a firm enough grip to counteract flutter) and the wrong angle of release (so a hand/wrist problem).

You need to find a coach and head to the field.

Your background in baseball gave you a strong arm, so power is not the problem. You need to learn to release flat and smooth and clean. Dial back on power and figure out how to throw a putter at 40% power, a midrange at 50% power and a driver at 60% power. Once you can throw a shot flat and straight you can ramp up the power on drivers. Putters and Mids will always work better at less power.

Mark Ellis said:
Hey emiller3,

It sounds like you have read enough to understand how a forehand should work but have not practiced enough to apply your knowledge.
This is probably true.

Mark Ellis said:
then it sounds like a combination of a grip problem (not a firm enough grip to counteract flutter)
Well that's interesting...I think I have a pretty loose grip, actually. I get real timid when throwing it forehand and my grip loosens up a lot. I also think I loosen my grip in an attempt to stay loose in my wrist.

So, what I'm hearing from you guys is loose wrist, loose arm, firm grip.

Where should my thumb be?

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot that Mark mentions that in his video.

Wrist should get stiffer when you start to accelerate with the arm so that you'll get proper snap. Snap practice is easier for me FH because i have stronger muscles in that direction. Just like everyone i think.

To get a good fast spin going, you need to be holding the disc very tightly during your throwing motion. Very tightly. Imagine what it looks like to shake up a can of soda with one hand. You should be holding your disc tightly enough that you can mimic that shake motion with your disc w/o it flying out of your hand. If you can't, you're not holding it tight enough (in my opinion).

I'd grip hard only just prior to or during the wrist snap. Looser muscles are less likely to torque OAT and move faster with less effort. You'll throw farther and get less tired.