• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Disc Selection Recommendations

I have never been good at the forehand. Most of the people I see that use it for distance don't really have much of a backhand. It seems that , for everyone but me, that the forehand is easier to learn but that the backhand will get you more distance once you learn it. Case in point at our end of summer league party we had a long drive contest.
Novice winner threw 340'
Intermediate winner threw 390'
Advanced winner threw 450'
Not one person threw forehand out 50 people.

I throw primarily forehand(occasional thumbers) and have been for the 4 years I have been playing. Started playing at 38 and am now 42 (Wish I'd started a lot younger)!

Some of the more consistent discs (for me) are:
Teebird : Very consistent for multiple shots - One of the best to learn with
Banshee : Very underrated disc, Great for hitting narrow fairways, Another good disc for beginning FH.
Firebird : Extremely Predictable and great disc for windy days
Max : A Longer Firebird that's even better in the wind
Whippet : A Great all round disc, Don't recommend it for beginners! Crazy flight paths are possible.
Destroyer : Longest FH Disc I've found, 375+
XCaliber : Doesn't glide like the Destroyer but better in wind

I throw with one finger laying inside the rim of the disc, I feel the single release point keeps things from being too complicated. For the first 2 years I played I used no run up. I stood on the front of the Teepad, shifted weight back and threw. I was getting over 325 out of Wraiths. I now use a small (and slow) two step approach on holes over 300' but still throw shorter holes and approaches standing still. The standstill approach taught me to learn the disc, the grip and the release without worrying about whether my footwork was causing the problem. Pay attention to the disc and the flight path and learn to take advantage of the flight path to get extra distance. Teebirds & Destroyers are great S-turn disc while Firebirds & Maxs are better for straight line distance. I'm not a great disc golfer but what success I have comes because of my Forehand.

I have been throwing forehand for about three weeks now cause backhand was tearing up my knees.
I am using a teebird 150,low weight but works for me.
Right now I throw the disc by wedging it between my thumb and forefinger,my forefinger is curled under the disc so that it rest on it and the thumb rest on top. when I try to throw it with my forefinger under the rim my finger grabs the rim when I try and release.
Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

I'VE BEEN THROWING SIDEARM SINCE I STARTED 2 YEARS AGO AND AM JUST NOW GETTING IT TO GO PERFECTLY STRAIGHT AT ABOUT 300'. I STARTED WITH A SIDEWINDER, AND WENT UP TO A TL AND NOW A DESTROYER. MEDIUM WEIGHT DISCS SHOULD BE GOOD BECAUSE YOU CAN GET A LOT OF SNAP/SPIN ON THE DISCS WITH SIDEARM THROW. THE LIGHTER THE DISC THE MORE IT WOULD FLIP OVER ON ME. ONE THING I NOTICED ABOUT MY THROW IS I HAVE TO GET REALLY LOW TO THE GROUND, BY DROPING MY RIGHT SHOULDER AND ALMOST SCRAPING MY KNUCKLES, THIS HELPS ME TO KEEP THE DISC LEVEL THROUGH MY ENTIRE MOTION. WHEN I STAND UP MORE I EITHER THROW IT INTO THE GROUND OR WAY OFF TO THE LEFT. SO IN SUMMARY......DROP THE SHOULDER AND TRY MID WEIGHT SIDEWINDERS. GOOD LUCK

forehand options

Crush works for me too. I'd like to get to the point of using a Flick, but in heavier weights, it's a tough disc to master.

Started out using a Champion Firebird and had really good luck, but since my backhand has improved, I've had to change again.

Love the sport, and the exercise that goes with it.

I started with a Valkeryie then moved up to an Orc and have finally settled on the Destroyer as my go to sidearm disc. I find the wider rim fits better in my hand. Lately I've been experimenting with the new Boss (so far, so good). I also prefer the upper 160 range. Not too light and not too heavy.

I only drive sidearm, I feel like my thumb dislocates driving backhand and hurts like hell. I only use a run-up when I really need the extra distance on drives over 400'. For better accuracy I typically use a baseball stance and throwing motion but keep my throwing should low to the ground. I get a lot of torque from shifting weight across the hips and follow through. I vary shoulder height and disc angle depending on the shot and disc. I use two fingers on the inside of the rim and a third on the bottom of the rim with my thumb about 90 degree on top. I would say the champion banshee 172g is the best disc to learn sidearm. My star wraith 170g is my longest disc over 400' sidearm on a flat drive with a run-up. I can't drive anything under 160g with any power because it just turns right over and usually rolls. I prefer stable to overstable discs for straight and hyzer shots. Understable discs tend to turn over and roll with power, unless I put a lot of hyzer on it, then it will flatten out and anhyzer. Understable discs will do a nice helix with less power and standing more upright.
Best for straight/right : Star Wraith 170g, Champ Banshee 172g, Champ Orc 169g, Champ Firebird 168g,
Best for left: DX Cheetah 166g, Star TL 167g, Star Leopard 175g, Star Wraith 170g

I'm having trouble finding a good sidearm approach disc. Any suggestions? I starting to get used to the Star Cro 170g, which is pretty good under 100', but turns over with any power. I often use my Star TL 167g for longer approaches. I prefer discs with a wide rim, but most midrange/approach discs have tiny rims.

I'm having trouble finding a good sidearm approach disc. Any suggestions? I starting to get used to the Star Cro 170g, which is pretty good under 100', but turns over with any power. I often use my Star TL 167g for longer approaches. I prefer discs with a wide rim, but most midrange/approach discs have tiny rims.

TRY JUST USING LIGHTER WEIGHTS WITH MORE GLIDE AND NOT PUTTING MUCH POWER INTO IT. WHEN I KIND OF FLICK MY 170 CHAMPION PANTHER IT JUST GLIDES AND GLIDES AND GLIDES.

I'd recommend a star/champ gator (175g) for a good sidearm approach disc - very overstable midrange - it can handle the extra torque that comes with a sidearm throw - unforturately i dont think you'll find a wide rimmed approach disc.

but if you really like wide rimmed discs for FH shots - you can probably get away with using an overstable driver like a Firebird even for midrange shots - due to the fact they dont glide very much and are much more predictable than an understable disc. Though i wouldnt go as far as suggesting a Flick for approaches - you would need to throw that with ¾ arm so it wont fade immediately since u would throwing it much slower than you would be for driving

Gave up on forehand drives a while ago, though I will throw a Champion Valkyrie about 250' when the s-shaped curve is advantageous.

For forehand approaches I use an Discraft Elite XL (125-200 feet) or a Z-Storm (less than 125 feet).

I'm a loyal fan of the Destroyer when it comes to sidearm; however, I happened to throw a Sidewinder for the first time (sidearm) today and man did that thing go. It was at the end of one of my lunch sessions (sometimes I throw at the baseball field by my work on lunch) and I had to get back to work, so I only got a chance to throw it once. I was standing a couple feet behind home plate and let it rip. The disc sailed over the center field fence, unfortunately, there is a sea of trees behind the fence, so it quickly killed the flight of the disc. It's a smaller size ball field so I suspect the wall in center field is ~325 feet deep. I'm not sure how much farther it would have gone had the trees not gotten in the way. But it sure felt good on the release and it was one of my farthest sidearm throws to date. Now I'm really looking forward to getting to throw that Sidewinder again. I'll keep you posted if I get good results.