• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Release Issue/Grip Lock

dretot

Hello,
I have a release issue with my sidearm, usually on straight low flat throws, where the disc starts well left of my intended line, like 10-20 degrees left. Not a turnover or wrist roll, it's coming out clean and level, just a straight pull left. It then starts to affect my next throws. I lose confidence for fear of going left, I loosen my grip and throw weak shots.
I even switched to a 1 finger grip so the disc ejects out of my hand easier, which seemed to help at first, but the problem still occurs. Usually when I'm throwing for distance and trying to give it extra snap, which for me is 270'- 300'.
Anyone ever experienced this or know what the issue might be? So frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
dre

Got the same issue sometimes, i thinks its one of these things probably a timing fault throwing with the arm before the plantfoot is down so upperbody goes before hips. Or you swingback to wide so when elbow goes forward disc goes on a line to the left, could also be footwork that your feet are to offset. Trying to adress this problem aswell hopefully someone knows the answer :)

All I got is to be sure your plant foot points toes toward point of aim. My sidearm is weak sauce for distance, but reliable for aim. (Backhand the other way around).

First things I would play with are the grip and the plastic type of the discs that you throw. I'm forehand dominant, particularly for driving. My golf distance on a clean drive is around 350'. I can get it out to 400 every once in a great while.

1. Play with grip strength. When you're driving, you're probably trying really hard to get the disc out there a long way. When I'm doing that, I sometimes find my grip tightening too much. It also shortens my throws. I have to adjust my grip strength to my release speed. If I'm going for a max drive, I have to grip a lot harder than when I'm throwing a 150' upshot. Forehand is like a backhand in that the disc WILL rip out of your hand when you're doing it right. Too much grip strength without enough arm speed and it will happen too late.

2. I've noticed over my last couple of field sessions that I tend to early release slicker plastics. Champion, Z Line, SP, Lucid. I often deal with early releases and too much hyzer angle with those plastics when compared to Star or Gold Line plastics. I suspect the slicker plastics require a grip adjustment that I don't always make properly because I don't always think about it. Try a couple of discs in different plastics and see if the slicker plastics come out of your hand a bit earlier.

The next step would be to take some videos and post them in the form review section. Could be you're opening up your hips too early, or maybe you're starting too square to the target and would benefit from a starting position more perpendicular to the target. Could be as simple as planting your lead foot with a touch of angle instead of directly pointed at the target.

Thanks for the replies. Malawi, I like what you're saying. Timing issue, arm first... which I do when having to throw longer distances. I'm sure I strong arm and throw it hard instead of a smooth swing back and whip through.
I went to a Baseball field yesterday and threw along a fence (the fence to my left) and I threw low forehands parallel to it. If I yanked one left, even a little, it would hit the fence. I threw about 30 shots... I never hit the fence, except for a few under stable discs that would turn a little mid flight. When I powered up, they would tend to early release and start right.
For me, I think it's a mental thing, when I see a distant basket or shot that needs full power, I screw up my timing and form and do annoying involuntary things.

Gwsmallwood, yes, to your first point. I need to work on my grip strength to power ratio. With plastics, unfortunately, my issue has happened with all variations. I haven't captured my yank left on video yet, but I will video myself more. I should be doing more of that.

thanks again... I'll figure this out.

Did some fieldwork out today about this subject. I think its a mix of diffrent things when missing leveled to the left. Noticed they went left when i was to open with upperbody to the target when planting, just like i didnt fully commit coiling my core back so if i failed my hip timing at the same time my line will be to the left depending where your elbow is at that time. Also footwork if my plantfoot is offset to the left of the rearfoot disc starts out more to the left but it felt like it depended where your elbow is at that time to, atleast for some bad wrist rolls hitting myself when driving the elbow cus my body wasnt lined up. Hope you understand me and sucseed find a solution :)

Thanks Malawi, I do understand what you're saying. I've been working on those points also. Check out this dude, Mitchell Kloc. He steps in "closed" with his plant foot well to the right of his trail foot and his plant foot is perpendicular to his throwing line. Works for him, Interesting.

watch @ 17:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkssrR0q1s0&t=90s

Have you seen this Brian Earhardt video? Sounds like maybe you're trying to throw your drivers just like your slower, less stable discs, which might be contributing to what seems like a late release, but might actually be over-activation of the wrist for a higher-speed or more stable driver.

https://youtu.be/yyZkcQT4oL4

I have this issue now after going from forehand dominate to backhand dominate.

This is what I've concurred with the issue of pulling discs left on a rhfh.

My personal observation is late wrist pop.

So instead of pushing the pop towards the target, you try and throw harder with a curl which causes you to pop the disc late in the timing.

I have this issue now after going from forehand dominate to backhand dominate.

This is what I've concurred with the issue of pulling discs left on a rhfh.

So instead of pushing the pop towards the target, you try and throw harder with a curl which causes you to pop the disc late in the timing.

Yepp that is my observation too. Think it was Tristan Tanner that mentioned that he tries to pop the wrist/finger snap as soon as he begins the forward motion. I feel this really helps against the late release and oat.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. The Brian Earhardt video is good. Seeing those release points and follow through is very helpful.

I like this, thank you Sheep.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. The Brian Earhardt video is good. Seeing those release points and follow through is very helpful.

I like this, thank you Sheep.

It helps when somebody is doing the dumb that you're dumbing and you know what your derping wrong with the dumb.

It also helps as well to try and back off a smidge on the power too.

Sheep,
You referenced Ryan Bretell in the Stokely forehand thread and his idea of "flying" the disc, not "throwing" it. He has a vid where he's just casually whipping out these killer sidearms and he says exactly that and also "play catch with that tree in the distance". These thoughts really helped me tame the mindset/impulse of muscling a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGFpccsZdAc

I played yesterday with this pre-shot thought, "Relax, fly the disc" and I had one of my best rounds ever. My discs were coming out so clean, I felt like I was throwing them with 100ft of effort yet they were flying 250. Less forward momentum, more spin. Also, they were going exactly where I was looking. I never yanked one left. My wife even noticed. She would say, "that looked effortless, like you barely threw it".
The other bonus was less strain on my left knee. I've had 3 surgeries on it and usually after a round it's pretty sore from the torque, bad form. Yesterday I came home and felt great.

thanks again for your advice and insight,

dre

Sheep,
You referenced Ryan Bretell in the Stokely forehand thread and his idea of "flying" the disc, not "throwing" it. He has a vid where he's just casually whipping out these killer sidearms and he says exactly that and also "play catch with that tree in the distance". These thoughts really helped me tame the mindset/impulse of muscling a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGFpccsZdAc

I played yesterday with this pre-shot thought, "Relax, fly the disc" and I had one of my best rounds ever. My discs were coming out so clean, I felt like I was throwing them with 100ft of effort yet they were flying 250. Less forward momentum, more spin. Also, they were going exactly where I was looking. I never yanked one left. My wife even noticed. She would say, "that looked effortless, like you barely threw it".
The other bonus was less strain on my left knee. I've had 3 surgeries on it and usually after a round it's pretty sore from the torque, bad form. Yesterday I came home and felt great.

thanks again for your advice and insight,

dre

Glad it helped.

It's even more fun to play with him. He talks every shot out to the detail then executes it 90% of the time.
He's one of the most fun people to golf with and a fantastic person.