• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fork grip

NoseDownKing

Eagle Member
I've been trying to experiment with different grips and the Climo fork grip seems to feel the best for me. The only issue is, that pretty much every single shot griplocks. I've only had one session using this grip, so maybe I need a little more practice (likely). I still do wonder though, that maybe the way I grip it is somehow wrong (also likely lol). My hand size is otherwise somewhat above average, but my fingers are short relative to my palm. Maybe my hand dimensions have something to do with the grip issue?

Attachments

• InCollage_20230505_184259773.jpg
    InCollage_20230505_184259773.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 85
I used almost exactly that same grip for a while. I also have short fingers and a big palm. I kind of subscribe to the theory that grip is just as much about the rest of the body as the grip itself for a lot of people since it sets the tone for what the body intends to do.

In general I've found that my grip and posture interact, which sometimes leads to "griplocks". When my grip isn't leveraged right through the wrist, I'm more likely to swing more "over the top" when I plant seeking more power/power transfer, leading to WTF Richards.

My current grip is still pretty close to yours, but changed a little bit to be slightly more like a modified power grip where my wrist seems to stay much easier to keep in leverage. It evolved that way after changing a few habits before throwing.

Hammers were a lot of it but of course the disc ergonomics are each a bit different. Sometimes I still do things like put the disc in my left hand and waggle it a bit and re-seat it in my right hand before throwing. This is a way of making the grip better by making it feel "new" to the right hand for the task each time (old motor learning trick):

KbWLcpZ.gif

or some of the old Blake T tricks kind of emphasizing "heaving" it more through the hit point but still with my whole body to make sure I'm leveraging it thru the wrist correctly. Over time this helped my grip(s) settle down. I really do think small differences can have big impacts here, especially once you start throwing faster (as I know you can).

When the leverage is right and posture is better, I'm much more likely to get early releases than grip locks (highly predictable at this point). I've started to use that as a kind of diagnostic for my own grips.

Last edited:
I've always used a fan grip because that's the way i learned ( most similar to bottom left pic ). I think i have the same problem & grip lock a lot. I have tried the power grip & really GL when i do! I recently i tried modding my grip to a three finger fan grip, & am getting a much smoother release! I just leave the pinky finger on the edge of the disc. Only negative is i cant get any anhyzer on the shot & almost always releases with hyzer... Still i'm getting a smoother release with more power.

I use a similar grip to the bottom left as well. But my hands are small and my fingers short and skinny. Was a bit weird at first I remember, but now it's all I use outside max distance where I do a full power grip. Not sure it really adds anything, I'll probably experiment later this year.

I find the grip very good in that I can easily shift my pivot/pressure point from front loaded to backloaded without really changing anything with the grip, so upshots to big fairway drives with pretty mucht he same grip just different pivot point.

Give it a week and see what happens!

Latest posts